BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I have the 2018 model. So far it hasn't fail me, but there were so many complains about things going wrong, that I consider selling it and getting the new model. I am just afraid that somewhere, in the middle of nowhere, the bike will give me some serious problems. So my question is: did BMW solved most of the issues with the bike? Is it worthy to get a new model? I like the LED lights and some other things. I do not care so much and throttle by wire system. Slipper clutch is also a nice feature, even though not so needed in small cc bikes. I would appreciate if someone could give me a feedback in this matter.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the throttle by wire in the Tiger 800. it is not a big deal. it is more sensitive. i kind of prefer the throttle cable system.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I just like how incredibly smooth the throttle on the 2021 is. This is my 1st ever bike with such a system. To me it's a "gamechanger"....ugh, I hate saying that word.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice. Does the new model come with crash bars? I have several bikes. in comparison to the small BMW I have Versys 300, 2 cylinders, and it is much better for highways, faster and less vibrations. But I use BMW for mountains, so I don't care about speed. I think, it looks much better than Versys and it has much better feel to it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It does not. I ordered some from Turkey and a guy from the factory actually drove up to see me and help me install them (I am in BG). I love them.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that's disappointing, because I saw it on youtube with lower crash bars. in my 2018 model, i fitted Hepco Becker crash bars and skid plate. So you installed the BWM oem accessory crash bars?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I ordered them from Turkey, from some factory and the guy from the factory came to install them.

The vast majority of bikes don't come with crash bars. The vast majority of people don't install/need them. I love mine, I love the way they look and I have a lot less anxiety with them on (I am a noob rider).

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what about the OEM bash plate. is is robust enough, or needs to be replaced with aluminium one? yea, I always fit fog lights. these look nice. the main benefit of crash bars is that one can attach to them fog lights :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
I am keeping the original plastic bash plate. I am not hardcore and I think the OEM one is plenty fine. I do have a rad guard (under $20 from ALX) and a $14 windscreen, also from ALX.

I'm a cheapskate...but I doubt buying the super expensive stuff is any different, to be honest.

The hand guards came from dealer as part of my "deal".

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i am not hardcore either. i would not use this bike for serious off-roading, so I might just save money by keeping the OEM bash plate. but I like the look of the BMW crash bar. I am not sure if to add handguards, as I like to keep the top clean.

I invested quite a bit of money into my 2018 model. like new rear shock and Hyperpro front springs, magura brake master cylinder, and other things. Oh, yea, the AKRA exhaust; really nice. But I often change things just to have something to do. The OEM rear shock is really soft, which is not so good off-road, but it is really comfy if you ride in a relaxed way.

What about USB charger, have you installed one?

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok, as i am ordering the bike, i am in contact with the dealer in India, and I ordered all to be installed so I don't have to worry about that in the future: crash bar, usb charger, top box, and bash plate (just in case). they also offered side bags, but I prefer to use side boxes or nothing at all, just a sw motech firm bag on my back seat.

·
Registered
95 Posts
No need for usb charger (Anker bank in tank bag that lasts a few days). I have no need for exhaust (they make zero difference). Bash plate is fine. I recommend the hand guards, when the 310 falls, even parked, your clutch or brake...break...handguards are cheap insurance..plus keep hands warmer in winter.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a rear Givi rack on order. Backorder for 3 weeks. Keeping these cheap soft bags. Great for groceries and 2-3 day trips.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
well, i already have the hard cases with Hepco becker racks. I know that hard cases are problematic. such as the bike is very wide and you can hit a car and so on. but they are very convenient. as to USB charger, if you use google maps and the phone is going to die, it is convenient too (ok, the power bank in the tank bag is an another option). And finally, the exhaust. The small BMW's engine is really noisy, and the exhaust helps you to forget about it. Ok, some open exhausts are annoying, but AKRA with baffle in has such a great sound. I personally love it. A music to my ears.

On another note, I recently tested the 1200 Gs. I was always so curious about that bike. However, the engine is really noisy. I really do not understand what is the hype about that bike. it is called 'adventure bike', which is a very relative term. I was afraid to ride the bike on tarmac; to take if off-road? I am not suicidal! My Versys 1000 is so much more smooth and comfortable, and the gearbox is so much better. But I love g310gs. Such a nice bike.

And I forgot, the hand guards. I think that at the end I will fit them, just for additional security. I have them on my old gs, with aluminium handlebars. but I am not riding off-road, (well I am but with a proper off-road bike) even though most of the roads in India are 'off-road'.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
still, no one answered my question if the new model is more reliable

1 - 20 of 36 Posts