BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
I think it's a silly question. Of course it's more reliable. The OG had plenty of weird electrical issues, some stuff with brakes, rusting etc. However, if reliability is your #1 concern then BMW is not your brand. Buy a Honda.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
not so silly of a question. if the old models had so many problems, I would hope that BMW fixed them at some point. The Japanese bikes are considered more reliable but, common if so many things are going wrong with BMW 310 that is just wrong. So many Indian bikes are more reliable. it is not a rocket science to make a bike that works, where the alternator does not fail, where the radiator fluid is not leaking.... BMW pretty much fucked up. And If i am going to buy a new model, I would hope that they fixed this.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Fantastic. I hope your machine gives you a million of safe and trouble free kilometres.
yea.... thank you for the good wishes :). I realize that my original question is premature, as most of the gs owners have no had the new model, or they had it for a very short time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cant really answer if its more reliable. I also have a 2021 version. That the new model doesnt have switchable ABS is a problem in my opinion. Would like some kind of offroad-ABS bundle in the future. Is a keen gravel rider and would like to be able to lock up the back wheel.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I don't mind so much that switchable ABS, because I ride it on not so challenging roads. by the way, I have Kawasaki KLX 230, which has ABS but one that works in delay. An interesting concept. So basically, the rear wheel still locks, but at some time ABS releases it. I did not have any issues while riding this bike off-road, and here I go much and the mountains roads down the hills.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the 2018 model named Buster, and have had no problems with it. It has SW Motech crash bars, Expedition skid plate, windscreen, Chase Harper tail trunk, Barkbuster hand guards, Garmin Nuvi 52LM GPS with close handlebar mount. I love it and it makes a perfect companion for it's bigger sibling, a 2016 R1200RT named Bridget.
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

Attachments

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
good to know. i am a bit insecure, since I read so many complains about things going wrong. like the charging system, front calliper, etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the 2018 model named Buster, and have had no problems with it. It has SW Motech crash bars, Expedition skid plate, windscreen, Chase Harper tail trunk, Barkbuster hand guards, Garmin Nuvi 52LM GPS with close handlebar mount. I love it and it makes a perfect companion for it's bigger sibling, a 2016 R1200RT named Bridget.
View attachment 16273
BMW Fred, you have good taste in cycles. I have a 2018 G310GS paired with a 2017 R1200RT.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the new model with zero issues. I heard that the wireless throttle is worth the upgrade alone but I have never ridden the older model.
Ride by wire can be so much more precise, bla bla bla. Don’t remember all the particulars w/o goggling. Hey, it’s good for performance cars & aircraft. 😃 I don’t think anyone will be disappointed, unless they plan on doing engine mods, possibly…
Completely satisfied with my 2021. Wanted the LED and the wireless throttle, for sure. Having ridden for the past few years with a slipper clutch I was glad the g310 has it. No surprises, like charging deep into a corner, switching to a new ride.
It shared the stable with an awesome ‘16 R1200gs, sadly I sold it last month.
Many new models have issues, especially if a third party is doing the building process. I believe the growing pains will be addressed to. It‘s definitely not a RE Himalayan. Wish I had one, but not instead of the baby GS.
If your concerns are keeping you from truly enjoying your riding, for peace of mind, go for the new one.
2022’s are right around the corner….

·
Registered
28 Posts
what about the OEM bash plate. is is robust enough, or needs to be replaced with aluminium one? yea, I always fit fog lights. these look nice. the main benefit of crash bars is that one can attach to them fog lights :)
I’m going to keep the OEM bash plate. I plan on adding armour to the bottom with a metal plate. For both my current ridding skills and for something different.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Kris, i am getting the new 2021 model delivered to me by next week. Will post a response on the reliability shortly.

Meanwhile, I have spoken to my friends who own 2020 and 2021 BMW 310 GS here in Bangalore, they have not faced any problems with the newer BS 6 ( that is EU 6 equivalent in India) models. Met few bikers with GS 310 at the service centre, and they vouched for the 2021 model.

Also, the vibration has reduced above 7000 RPM with the newer models. I've test-driven 2018 model and also the new 2021 before ordering the bike. I have somehow liked the ride by wire and slipper clutch. 310 GS is frugal wrt fuel consumption compared to other super bikes.

I have also test driven a t120 Triumph Bonneville and a Harley street bob before ordering the G 310, as my driving is going to be mainly in the city. Plus I am 6 2 tall, found GS 310 suiting to my height. Need advice from others on handle bar raisers to suit to my height.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
Hi Kris, i am getting the new 2021 model delivered to me by next week. Will post a response on the reliability shortly.

Meanwhile, I have spoken to my friends who own 2020 and 2021 BMW 310 GS here in Bangalore, they have not faced any problems with the newer BS 6 ( that is EU 6 equivalent in India) models. Met few bikers with GS 310 at the service centre, and they vouched for the 2021 model.

Also, the vibration has reduced above 7000 RPM with the newer models. I've test-driven 2018 model and also the new 2021 before ordering the bike. I have somehow liked the ride by wire and slipper clutch. 310 GS is frugal wrt fuel consumption compared to other super bikes.

I have also test driven a t120 Triumph Bonneville and a Harley street bob before ordering the G 310, as my driving is going to be mainly in the city. Plus I am 6 2 tall, found GS 310 suiting to my height. Need advice from others on handle bar raisers to suit to my height.
Hi Prasnna, thank you for the feedback. I really like the small gs. As I mentioned, I did not face any issues with the 2018 model, but I have no done many miles on it. I like the LED set up on the new model, even though I fitted full LED assembly on 2018; from China, but works really well; not sure which headlight would be stronger, but it looks really nice on the new model. I invested quite a bit of money on the bike; new rear and front suspension, and other things, like Magura brake master cylinder (i have Brembo RCS 14 for the new bike); I find the front brake not responsive enough or wooden with the OEM set up. But I am kind of a perfectionist with brakes; change them on all bikes.

Now I am selling my Tiger 800 in India, because it is too big for the mountains; it has a high revving engine, great for the plains.

by the way, just a few days ago I did test drive on g1200gs (i am in Thailand now) and wasn't particular happy with that bike. I don't know what is the hype here. it is a beautiful bike, has anti-front-diving system which is really cool, so many electronics, but the engine is noisy, the bike is extremely tall (i did not feel even safe doing u-turn on tarmac road), the gear box clunky. My Versys 1000 is so much smoother. That all thing about 'adventure' bikes makes me wonder. Most of these big bikes are too heavy to take off-road, so I really see no point. Versys 1000 is also tall but it is not called 'adventure' but sport-touring bike. This makes more sense to me. This is where I like 310gs; I would say that this is indeed an adventure bike, easy to control, not as tall. Maybe too slow for highways, but I need it for the mountains mainly so I don't care.

You asked about risers. I highly recommend the Rox Risers. 2" will fit. You can buy them in India. But don't buy the cheap ones made in India. It is a safety issue. I had a bad experience where on of them broke!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts