BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. Just came back from my 2nd ride (drive) which was very enjoyable.
Embarrassingly enough, I dropped the bike after filling up at a service station.

Got home safely. Parking in the garage, I noticed that there is oil dripping from the front brakes.

I'm a total newbie, can someone assist here? what to check and where?

More info:
brake fluid level in the sight glass showing 'full'.
walking around the bike looks pretty clean. However, the bottom of the caliper is dump and some oil/fluid on the rim and tyre. ?!?

Thank you in advance.

Another update. This is how it looks like after sitting in the garage all night.
A clear drop of some fluid from somewhere. ?!?

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello everyone. Just came back from my 2nd ride (drive) which was very enjoyable.
Embarrassingly enough, I dropped the bike after filling up at a service station.

Got home safely. Parking in the garage, I noticed that there is oil dripping from the front brakes.

I'm a total newbie, can someone assist here? what to check and where?
Thank you in advance.
View attachment 16025
Oil or brake fluid? If the brake lever feels spongy or you can pull it right back easy, it is probably brake fluid. Needs checking asap.

·
Registered
96 Posts
We have all done it, which side did the bike go down on? I would wash the affect area of oil and dry it, then apply the brakes and check for leaks, then bounce the front forks up and down and again check for leaks. Don’t forget to check the handle bar brake reservoir and connections for any leaks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We have all done it, which side did the bike go down on? I would wash the affect area of oil and dry it, then apply the brakes and check for leaks, then bounce the front forks up and down and again check for leaks. Don’t forget to check the handle bar brake reservoir and connections for any leaks.
Dropped to the left (stand) side. no visual damage at all. I'll try what you suggested later today.

·
Registered
96 Posts
To eliminate the front fork seal wipe the lower part of the fork dry, then tie a length of clean cloth around the fork below the fork seal. If the cloth has oil on it overnight then the fork seal maybe damaged. If you are still getting a fluid dripping I would suspect it’s from the front brake caliper or joints and I would recommend you get this checked as a safety priority.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just have question has your BMW had the brake callipers replaced by your dealer as part of a recall, this may not apply if your bike is new, if its not you can check the rear Caliper to see if the recall has been done the calliper will be blank with no ByeBre logo. If yours needs to be replaced under the recall it’s free and you will not have to pay for the damage you may have done in the fall.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just have question has your BMW had the brake callipers replaced by your dealer as part of a recall, this may not apply if your bike is new, if its not you can check the rear Caliper to see if the recall has been done the calliper will be blank with no ByeBre logo. If yours needs to be replaced under the recall it’s free and you will not have to pay for the damage you may have done in the fall.
Yes, it's a 2018 with 500KM on the clock. The dealer has done the brakes recall.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To eliminate the front fork seal wipe the lower part of the fork dry, then tie a length of clean cloth around the fork below the fork seal. If the cloth has oil on it overnight then the fork seal maybe damaged. If you are still getting a fluid dripping I would suspect it’s from the front brake caliper or joints and I would recommend you get this checked as a safety priority.
I'll do that.
I run some searches on the forum and it looks, feels and smells very similar to this:
Thanks @bbbelanger

·
Registered
446 Posts
I second OldBiker on the eliminating fork seal, except I would use a piece of white paper (toilet or kitchen). The paper shows any smaller amounts of oil than fabric. Plumbers use paper to detect small leaks in water pipes. If the for seal is leaking, do panic and rush to change the seal. First try to clean out any possible dirt between the seal and fork tube. The method is described in an other thread in this forum.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I dropped mine for the first time yesterday as well, Im also a newbie rider still on L plates and was leaving a servo having just filled up lol. Yes was embarrassing, but smiled when a lad and his misses pulled up straight away and he gave me a hand to pick the bike up. Only just put crash bars on a few days ago so maybe my subconscious just wanted to test'em out :confused:. As new riders we're going to be a little more prone to dropping our bikes, just gotta chalk it up as part of the learning experience.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yep, you found me ! I was waiting for more information from you before mentionnant my experience.
Seems there is a seal down there that can leak.
For my part, the dealer took a fork leg from an unsold bike because the repair required a special tool they did not have.
If it's on the brake side, get it repaired on warranty sooner than later!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay. So bike has been idle for 3 nights and I had sometime today to check it out.
Coolant reservoir was empty, so I thought that it might be good news and filled it op.
Few nights ago I pumped the breaks and the front fork. Bike today was very clean and dry. Nothing obvious.
After filling the coolant I went on a short drive...2-3km and checked it out.
The wetness at the front left hand side returned.

Next picture is taken from underside, where it says 'wet underneath' in the above

Any other thoughts?
I'm now on 750KM and was hoping to postpone taking the bike in till the 1000K service.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi, the loss of coolant is not good, check the level again then check coolant tube which runs into your plastic sump guard if this is leaking you have a water pump seal replacement needed a know issue. I have a attached a parts image of the front forks and there is a gasket/o ring inside the bottom of the fork but I am not sure if this related to a possible leak. Push kitchen/toilet paper up inside to check for any leaks. I am looking at the surface of your brake disc and it looks in the photo if there is a residue of a liquid could the leak be coming from the calliper piston seals? If you remove the brake callipers you will see if they are wet. Sorry I am running out of ideas.
Tony

·
Registered
360 Posts
ok ... perhaps the bolt on the bottom of the fork needs tightening up
shown above as 4 + 5 .
You'll need to withdraw the axle [loosen bolts no.6 first] to get to it.
I've not been there yet but its generally a Hex to do it [much as bolt 6]
Anyone else disassembled these forks.?

·
Registered
263 Posts
It seems to be different from mine, and if it is the seal for the bottom bol, easier to fix.
Your bike is new, so don't waste your time let the dealer and warranty sort it out.
And be sure to have the coolant pump seal checked also.
As for the distance to first service, have a nice day ride then bring it in, it does not need to be precise.

Mine is now at 29000 km and counting, and I still love it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok ... perhaps the bolt on the bottom of the fork needs tightening up
shown above as 4 + 5 .
You'll need to withdraw the axle [loosen bolts no.6 first] to get to it.
I've not been there yet but its generally a Hex to do it [much as bolt 6]
Anyone else disassembled these forks.?
That will be too adventurous for me ATM. Will get the bike to the dealer to sort out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts