BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Update for this tread.
So, bike was sent to the dealership with a suspected 'fork seal leak'. However, when was taken apart there was a missing 'bolt' that holds the 'seal' in place.
They don't have the replacement parts locally and have to order from Germany. This will take two weeks. It will be covered under warranty.
p.s. it's okay to do run in service at 750KM which they will do. I asked to do this with no charge since I don't have a bike for 2 weeks...they said that they won't ; - (

·
Registered
12 Posts
I asked to do this with no charge since I don't have a bike for 2 weeks...they said that they won't ; - (
I was charged AU$311 for the first 1000km service, which I was not to happy about considering it's basically just an oil change. I made a little video about it, and one of the guys commented saying that I should not have been charged any labour costs for the running in check, if I had the service done where I bought the bike.....(he wasn't charged for his). BMW never mentioned this to me when I bought it, only that the first service had to be done by a motorrad centre, so instead of taking it all the way into Melbourne where I bought it, I took it to a closer motorrad shop and payed the price unaware. Maybe as your the second owner this wouldn't apply....?

·
Super Moderator
1,162 Posts
some dealers don't charge for the run in service, but this is something you should negotiate before buying the bike.

My dealer didn't charge and has always provided a very comprehensive quote before carrying out any work. It's all about customer expectation management.

·
Registered
96 Posts
some dealers don't charge for the run in service, but this is something you should negotiate before buying the bike.

My dealer didn't charge and has always provided a very comprehensive quote before carrying out any work. It's all about customer expectation management.
In the UK I can remember BMWs used to only charge for consumables, oil, filter etc and the labour was free for running in first service, but when I purchased my 2019 G310R I was told when I asked this had stopped a few years ago unless it was part of the deal or part of a new bike promotion. Other bike makes/dealers have always charged for labour/consumables on the first service. I had to pay £225 for my 2020 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 running in service at 300mls this includes a valves adjustment required by Royal Enfield. I think I a lot is to do with pricing and the first service was actually already included in the purchase price the same with no main stands on bikes this is all part of keeping prices down to match the competition in the same sector of bikes. BMW do offer a service maintenance package £££££. Just remembered the free labour on the first service was only if you had it done at the dealership you purchased the bike from. Also back in 2011 when I got a new BMW F800R, BMW had a warranty rule that the first running in service had to be done within 1 month, this did not last long as a requirement.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
My update. Dealer got some parts from Germany...opened the fork and found 'more damage'. Ordered some more parts and it will take another 2 weeks.
So, I've been waiting for 4 weeks now + 2. :mad: Still no bike in sight.
Run-in service was done.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts