BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not very impressed with my GS gearbox, it is rather clunky. But what I did notice is that it is great for clutchless upshifting. For those who do not know, in this technique you gently preload the shifter, then every so slightly release the throttle while lifting the shifter, and voila, you are in the higher gear; timing is of the essence. In most bikes, upshifting without clutch is commonly done in higher gears and higher speeds. But with this bike, one can easily upshift even from 1st to 2nd gear and that at low speeds. I basically, never use clutch to upshift, and it is butter smooth. Just thought someone may want to try.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I found the same. Every bike I’ve ever ridden worked well power shifting, all about your preload and timing. I’ve heard some say it wears the trans other say no. Whatever.
I quite enjoy when you get a good downshift. It’s a great skill to develop in case your clutch cable breaks. Starting out without a clutch is the test. Easiest to get rolling and jump on. On other bikes, I’ve just Mashed the shifter down and held on, gassing it. Not a good way.
I really like how well the clutch hooks up, once you get used to low slippage. I have had no issues with shifting at all but not yet at 1000 miles! I have also found the clutch releases really easy when trying to move the bike when in gear not running. Other wet clutches I’ve had “stick” when in gear especially when sitting requiring neutral to move bike. I find it bizarre how hard it is to stall. I find myself going “I didn’t save it, the ECU did” often. Nice

·
Registered
503 Posts
I hear y'all, but on my '21 it's the tiniest little smooth squeeze that I use the clutch most of the time. It's engrained in the subconscious muscle memory of riding, for me.

Exception is when I happen to be resting my left arm or hand during a longer ride. I'll go clutchless there.

I agree that when done correctly there's no harm.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi guys, my clutch cable die yesterday during a trip after almost 7,000 riders miles on my 2017 G310 R, no issues since I got it. Cable broken at clutch lever point, and no possible solution to repair in the road so, I paid a tow-bike-road assistance at a distance of 75 miles far away from home $465 the ride!

I was looking the way cable clutch is engaged from gear box to handle bar, and I think I should to tide down gas tank, do some of you had done this job before?, I had adjusted the end play before but it is a simple job, not sale as replace the whole cable

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hi guys, my clutch cable die yesterday during a trip after almost 7,000 riders miles on my 2017 G310 R, no issues since I got it. Cable broken at clutch lever point, and no possible solution to repair in the road so, I paid a tow-bike-road assistance at a distance of 75 miles far away from home $465 the ride!

I was looking the way cable clutch is engaged from gear box to handle bar, and I think I should to tide down gas tank, do some of you had done this job before?, I had adjusted the end play before but it is a simple job, not sale as replace the whole cable

·
Registered
582 Posts
That video sums it up. Great validation of Kris’s hydraulic clutch install. Wrestling with a cable install a drag even if you had one with you. Hydraulic clutches are superior.
I have gone quite the ways with no clutch. Stop only for gas. After fueling find some big dudes and get rolling good with engine running plunk into gear…..very dangerous and such Towing smarter life to short to wrack saving a buck.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
That video sums it up. Great validation of Kris’s hydraulic clutch install. Wrestling with a cable install a drag even if you had one with you. Hydraulic clutches are superior.
I have gone quite the ways with no clutch. Stop only for gas. After fueling find some big dudes and get rolling good with engine running plunk into gear…..very dangerous and such Towing smarter life to short to wrack saving a buck.
Yes, hydraulic clutch is sweet. Very pleasurable to use. I fitted it in 3 bikes here in India, and really enjoy it. I tried to fit it to my Versys 650 and 1000 that I keep in Thailand, but there is just not enough space for the slave cylinder, and in the 650 the distance from the actuator and attaching bracket is too little (for my slave cylinder). I could have modified it, but would not bother. Instead, I just replaced the clutch cables.

I think it is a good practice to now and then replace the cable, instead of waiting for it to brake. Also a new cable most often provides a smoother action. I see guys that ride with the same cable like forever, and the clutch is so hard to pull. Also for long trips, it is good to carry a spare cable. But as you can see on this video, it is challenging to replace the cable on this bike. I did not replace the cable, but even to pull it out is difficult. The most complicated routing of a cable I have ever seen in a motorbike. I did not remove the tank or fairing, by the way.

And clutchless upshifting putting strain on the gearbox, there is a wider consensus among experienced riders that it is not the case. Downshifting requires more expertise, but I don't do it anyway. If the shifting is smooth, one can assume that it is safe. In my 310, honestly, shifting with clutch seems more harsh than without.

·
Registered
582 Posts
In olden times, we’d lash a second cable next to one in use. This way no routing involved, only down a short while. I’m not sure if this would be possible on the 310. Like Kris said it’s smart to change out the cable periodically and of course keeping a close eye on it. Most get trained to look over the bike before you start the ride. This should include cable ends. Not a bad idea. For the longest time BMW did not advise lubing the cable on motorbikes as it was Teflon lined. So does this continue with the 310? I have found found breaks usually happen right at the pivots, so a quick glance could save trouble. Lubing the pivots a good idea.
Really for long term ownership switching to hydraulic system could be the smart way to go. Only change out the line once, change fluid regular, use silicone brake fluid or mineral oil if you can to further prevent issues.

·
Registered
582 Posts
On most any transmission when everyone is “synched” movement is at its best. i find it much more concetration to down shift on any bike. I’m pretty ingrained to use that left hand and blip the throttle. Kent’s Bang had me thinking if the ramp could slam shut causing random bang. We will never know

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
most riders only upshift without clutch. it is easy, and unlike using clutch, there is less of a drop in RPM, so one can go faster. I find that with regular downshifting, I can modulate more the speed and rpm. I think this video explains it well:

·
Registered
8 Posts

Just to let all you know, finally I got the clutch cable from dealer BMW Motorcycles Plantation here in Florida, and surprise! cable length was short 5 inches and a half than OEM cable..., dealer told me "...Cosme I do not know what to say, this part number 32738563262 appears as valid for your VIN, and for all G310 R and G from 2017 thru today...", so, I argued I will take it, I will try to install properly, but if it does not fit, I bring back to you...", dealer told me ok, keep original envelope with order number.
I initiated the job, almost impossible to run the cable thru stretches under gas tank, and I decided to remove tank and left plastic cover, and this action solves the issue. The short cable works perfectly, the before curves under tank and bike's frame is less, plastic tides are in same position as before and all runs as first day.
The broken cable was plenty of Molibdeno grease inside fund, the failed cable I guess occurs due friction in the handle bar Aluminum adjusted piece that you can use for fine clutch adjustment similar as bikes, this piece is not good finishing so, in some manner the cable frictions with inner surface causing damage and break.
Now knowing this, I will perform a cable check every 3000-4000 running miles, I had wrote a note in my Service book.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Just to let all you know, finally I got the clutch cable from dealer BMW Motorcycles Plantation here in Florida, and surprise! cable length was short 5 inches and a half than OEM cable..., dealer told me "...Cosme I do not know what to say, this part number 32738563262 appears as valid for your VIN, and for all G310 R and G from 2017 thru today...", so, I argued I will take it, I will try to install properly, but if it does not fit, I bring back to you...", dealer told me ok, keep original envelope with order number.
I initiated the job, almost impossible to run the cable thru stretches under gas tank, and I decided to remove tank and left plastic cover, and this action solves the issue. The short cable works perfectly, the before curves under tank and bike's frame is less, plastic tides are in same position as before and all runs as first day.
The broken cable was plenty of Molibdeno grease inside fund, the failed cable I guess occurs due friction in the handle bar Aluminum adjusted piece that you can use for fine clutch adjustment similar as bikes, this piece is not good finishing so, in some manner the cable frictions with inner surface causing damage and break.
Now knowing this, I will perform a cable check every 3000-4000 running miles, I had wrote a note in my Service book.
Thanks for being the heads up on what we can all check for now during service.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Well and there are two lengths of clutch cable!! I’d suspect one for the R and one for GS Would sure be important if you’ve added bar risers etc. Next time I have money, I’m investing in a cable, just to have in stock. That will ensure, I never have issue. First Law of Perversity

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well and there are two lengths of clutch cable!! I’d suspect one for the R and one for GS Would sure be important if you’ve added bar risers etc. Next time I have money, I’m investing in a cable, just to have in stock. That will ensure, I never have issue. First Law of Perversity
the OEM cable for gs works with 2.5" risers. i managed with 3" risers with some difficulties.

get a hydraulic clutch. i just fitted one on my Versys 650

·
Registered
582 Posts
So for sure, you’d been bummed with a short cable. I’ll bet they are gold plated too.
How does the cost of hydraulic compare with a cable?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts