BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will you suggest opting gs or r for a beginner motorcyclist who just has a riding experience of scooty on roads?

·
Registered
368 Posts
This is like asking what shoes somebody should buy. With the only fact given being that the person in qustion is "a beginner", the variables are infinite. Both models are probably good for a beginner. What model suits him/her/it is more a question of taste and dimensions. Leg length could play an important role in the equation. The GS is a little bit higher with a more upright sitting position and the R is more forward leaning (some call it sportier). The GS standard equipped has somewhat better, but limited, off-road capabilities and the R is a little quicker to turn with its 17" front wheel. I doubt a beginner would notice the subtle differences between the sisters. Best would be to go to the dealer and test ride.
I, as still a learner (only been riding 40 years) prefer an upright position with higher ground clearance and seat hight. I've even heightened the seat and lowered the foot pegs, but that is adaptions one does after some time with the bike.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Good advice from hasselman.
I would look at lots of different bikes / scooters.
Yes the G310 should be one of those that you consider.
Plenty of other factors. Prices, Dealers, Availability. Spares. etc.
Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is like asking what shoes somebody should buy. With the only fact given being that the person in qustion is "a beginner", the variables are infinite. Both models are probably good for a beginner. What model suits him/her/it is more a question of taste and dimensions. Leg length could play an important role in the equation. The GS is a little bit higher with a more upright sitting position and the R is more forward leaning (some call it sportier). The GS standard equipped has somewhat better, but limited, off-road capabilities and the R is a little quicker to turn with its 17" front wheel. I doubt a beginner would notice the subtle differences between the sisters. Best would be to go to the dealer and test ride.
I, as still a learner (only been riding 40 years) prefer an upright position with higher ground clearance and seat hight. I've even heightened the seat and lowered the foot pegs, but that is adaptions one does after some time with the bike.
Thank you for your reply.
Actually, i think the dimensions , weight and the visual appeal of gs won't bother me (please specify if it would bother me or not) . As I'm 6 feet tall, i assume that the height and weight of the bike could be manageable to me. The thing that attracted me in 310r and gs is the looks and presence of the bike. And from that i leaned towards gs because of its higher seat height and bulkier body. Here my concern is, whether I'll be able to control and coupe up with the thrust out of it , and i meant it by my phrase 'beginner' in the question. Is the power produced by gs controllable by a person who knows to ride geared bike without any experience but with gearless scooty experience specifically being Activa.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Actually, i think the dimensions , weight and the visual appeal of gs won't bother me (please specify if it would bother me or not) . As I'm 6 feet tall, i assume that the height and weight of the bike could be manageable to me. The thing that attracted me in 310r and gs is the looks and presence of the bike. And from that i leaned towards gs because of its higher seat height and bulkier body. Here my concern is, whether I'll be able to control and coupe up with the thrust out of it , and i meant it by my phrase 'beginner' in the question. Is the power produced by gs controllable by a person who knows to ride geared bike without any experience but with gearless scooty experience specifically being Activa.
Except for the appearance, the two bikes share most vital components. They have same engine and more or less same frame. The plastics are different in some places and the ergonomics differ. It's not a powerful bike, nor is it heavy. With your hight you'll be fine on the GS. I accidentally (literarily) scaled down from a BMW R1200GS. I love the nibleness for my GS and if I need to drive long distance on paved roads, I always have my packing mule Yamaha XJ900S Diversion for that.

·
Super Moderator
1,099 Posts
You should really complete a motorcycle course before hopping on a motorcycle, it's a very different beast to a scooter. If you haven't had any proper training, you're likely to get yourself killed, hurt or at the very least mess up your bike. I would have to say that the G310s are suitable for beginners, but not suitable for people that haven't completed a motorcycle course. Stay safe out there!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Porth is right about the training. Having the correct "instincts" taught to you before mingling with all the crazies (including ourselves, very often) is more than a great idea.

But I will add, the G310, whatever the suffix is such a great first bike, that a whole lot of us have adopted it as a last bike, as we get long on years!

I bet the marketeers in Munich are surprised by the number of older riders have adopted the model they imagined as an entry/first bike!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Get the GS! It's way more comfortable on longer rides.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got my 18’ g310r over the weekend. I’ve never been on a bike, minus the safety course and I’m having the time of my life.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts