BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2020, 310 GS
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are some posts that make upgrading the headlight lamp with an LED look expensive and difficult.
I bought a standard H4 LED replacement lamp from Amazon. Make: Hikari, 9003 HBS HS1 P43t. $39.99.
Installation took 15 minutes - no tools needed. Just reach forward and pull out the waterproof H4 socket. There are two rubber tabs to pull on to get the waterproof boot out. Release the single retainer clip. Remove the OE lamp and replace with the Hikari. Replace the clip. Plug the cable back on. Test the light. Unplug the cable. Replace the boot. Plug the cable back in and save the original lamp with all the other bits that you will never need again. It gives a bright white 1400 lumen light.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yes I did the same. Having taken apart all the plastic to get to the accessory sockets next to the back of the headlight to fit a USB charging socket, I didn’t want to do all that again to fit a fancy LED headlight assembly.
So a $20 led headlight bulb was bought and I fitted it myself in 10 to 12 minutes.
It’s SUPER bright and an ideal ‘be seen be safe’ accessory.
My advice..... BUY ONE !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
BMW G310 GS 2019 model
2 Posts
Could you share where you bought the LED headlight bulb? That might be the best way to get some more light from the bike.

·
Registered
2020, 310 GS
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could you share where you bought the LED headlight bulb? That might be the best way to get some more light from the bike.
Hi, bought it from Amazon.com. Re read my post for the details.
good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There are some posts that make upgrading the headlight lamp with an LED look expensive and difficult.
I bought a standard H4 LED replacement lamp from Amazon. Make: Hikari, 9003 HBS HS1 P43t. $39.99.
Installation took 15 minutes - no tools needed. Just reach forward and pull out the waterproof H4 socket. There are two rubber tabs to pull on to get the waterproof boot out. Release the single retainer clip. Remove the OE lamp and replace with the Hikari. Replace the clip. Plug the cable back on. Test the light. Unplug the cable. Replace the boot. Plug the cable back in and save the original lamp with all the other bits that you will never need again. It gives a bright white 1400 lumen light.
Hi David,

Thanks a bunch.

I bought and installed the LED headlight you advised, and it works perfect.

My only advise for the other folks who would like to do the same is to take a picture prior releasing the single retainer clip. Indeed, I removed it and I had some difficulties to put it back; I was happy to have taken a picture to remind me its original position.

Jul

·
Registered
16 Posts
Put the Hikari M-H4 in today in a few minutes. Color looks great....can't wait to drive at night and see how much difference. It's an easy swap - makes the bike look great too!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Having had a similar experience with my wifes MINI where the standard H4 bulbs are very poor, I bought a pair of these Phillips Racing Vision H4 bulbs off Amazon for £17.47 https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LYNVQBC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I know they made a dramatic difference with the MINI so was confident they would do the same with the GS, which they have. Being sold in pairs I also have a spare which I can use if required on wither the GS or the MINI.

·
Registered
G310GS, S1000RR. HP2 Sport.
159 Posts
I bought the full unit and it is great, even in full daylight.

I have lowered the angle to avoid the fact that others could be blinded.
And this works for me. :D(y)

Only the electrical connection is not waterproof, something you have to fix for yourselves.

The seller does not bother at all. :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Guys,

I went also for a complete LED headlight from Kemimoto on aliexpress US $99.0 40% OFF|Warranty For BMW G310GS G310R 100W LED Headlights for BMW G 310GS 310R Motorcycle Lights with Complete Devil eyes Assembly Kit| | - AliExpress

I am happy by its bright lighting compare to EOM but I am disappointed by 2 things:

1- no waterproofing for the connector. and the connector get loose from time to time because of the vibrations I think, and the headlight goes off. I would need to put a zip tie to hold the connector together.

2- Misaligned High Beam.
As you can see in the picture, Low beam hit the bottom of wall at 30 meters. But High Beam is over the white car !
If I align the high beam, I loose between 10 and 15 min visibility on the low beam !
I contacted Kemimoto, and the answer was to buy an auxiliary Led lights, to compensate the light in low beam. Why don't they fix their design in the first place !

Did someone opened the headlight ? maybe we can fix the issue ?

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
Both is not a problem for me.

I directly taped the wire all together with the connector.
You can buy special tape for this at AliExpress or other sellers.

I have ridden a lot with the headlight, also in very heavy rain, and it is perfect for me.

The high beam is for use when there is no traffic in front.
And I almost never use it.
Have only tested that it is functional.
Seems to me a lot of light is OK. ;)

·
Super Moderator
1,139 Posts
Hi Guys,

I went also for a complete LED headlight from Kemimoto on aliexpress US $99.0 40% OFF|Warranty For BMW G310GS G310R 100W LED Headlights for BMW G 310GS 310R Motorcycle Lights with Complete Devil eyes Assembly Kit| | - AliExpress

I am happy by its bright lighting compare to EOM but I am disappointed by 2 things:

1- no waterproofing for the connector. and the connector get loose from time to time because of the vibrations I think, and the headlight goes off. I would need to put a zip tie to hold the connector together.
View attachment 15553

2- Misaligned High Beam.
As you can see in the picture, Low beam hit the bottom of wall at 30 meters. But High Beam is over the white car !
If I align the high beam, I loose between 10 and 15 min visibility on the low beam !
I contacted Kemimoto, and the answer was to buy an auxiliary Led lights, to compensate the light in low beam. Why don't they fix their design in the first place !
View attachment 15555

Did someone opened the headlight ? maybe we can fix the issue ?
Adjust the low beam, not the high beam. Pretty sure there's instructions on how to adjust the headlights properly in the manual, or at least somewhere here on the forum.

High beams are usually pointed quite high up to give you a good amount of distance down the road and to light up your surroundings when there are no oncoming vehicles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
High beams are usually pointed quite high up to give you a good amount of distance down the road and to light up your surroundings when there are no oncoming vehicles.
agree that high beam is higher , but not with an angle pointing towards the sky ... but towards the ground ;)

·
Registered
159 Posts
agree that high beam is higher , but not with an angle pointing towards the sky ... but towards the ground ;)
I used it once when I got home.
My girlfriend inside did not like the flashing high beam in her face.
It is quite powerful. 😁

·
Registered
11 Posts
I used it once when I got home.
My girlfriend inside did not like the flashing high beam in her face.
It is quite powerful. 😁
I would need to test it on a dark road out side the city. testing it in the city (don't see the high beam properly ) or in my garage ( i can only see the beam hitting the roof of the garage) does not give conclusive results.
on a personal note, I am very picky for such details ... no one is perfect:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi David,

Thanks a bunch.

I bought and installed the LED headlight you advised, and it works perfect.

My only advise for the other folks who would like to do the same is to take a picture prior releasing the single retainer clip. Indeed, I removed it and I had some difficulties to put it back; I was happy to have taken a picture to remind me its original position.

Jul
Thank-you for the tip! There are times when a picture would have saved a lot of guess work sometimes.

🍬

·
Registered
34 Posts
Holy sh*t! I just searched availability of the OEM led headlight to see if I wanted to try and upgrade (already put in h4 led bulb). Well at ~$1800 I will pass.
. 783F6472-871F-49F6-A9A6-18E7CD524938.png

1 - 17 of 17 Posts