BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi riders! Newbie here. Love the look of the 310gs. Drove one, it was fun!
I'm a bit hesitant or concerned for the fit. I'm 193cm.
My legs kind of go more around the take rather than under. Don't know if that's right or wrong but in trying the versys 300, I have to say the geometry is slightly better. my legs going tighter on the tank, more parallel and more under.

Is that a big deal really or a clearly better fit or would the GS be fine as well?

Appreciate the thoughts of other tall riders!
Thks in advance!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm 188cm And it seems to be hard to get to a standing position. I had a Honda CR 500 dirt bike, and standing was easy on it. On the 310 I feel like I'm pulling on the bars too much to get to a standing position. Seated it feels fine. Just my legs are folded enough to make it a bit difficlut to stand up on very short notice. Like when you see the rock is worse than you thought it was, and want to stand.

Perhaps the taller seat would help.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The GS is a very tall bike compared to the competition, even those of a larger capacity. I find it comfortable at 1.85m..

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm 190cm, and interestingly I felt comfortable on the 310GS but cramped on the Versys 300. I think the seat and fairing are a bit wider on the BMW than the Kawi, hence the feeling of your legs being wider. I find the factory BMW seat comfortable on long rides, but I think I remember reading a lot of complaints about the Kawi seat needing an upgrade due to being so narrow. As long as your legs fit into the recesses in the BMW's fairing, I would say you fit.

And I completely agree with Dantama. I can't stand on the pegs with the factory bars. I added risers last year, but I'm taking them off this year as I don't plan on doing much offroading this year and I believe they increase strain in my shoulders on long rides.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm also 193cm. The bike is comfortable enough but my knees are really all that grips the tank. I plan to try the tall seat at some point. I mainly use the bike for 30-40 minute commutes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the GS since a couple of weeks but had it out for a full day trip last weekend - I have to say the leg / knee position is really cramped after a while! I'm 6'3" (1.90) and I definitely have to work on the seat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check out Motorcycle Ergonomics
This has helped me significantly when choosing a bike

I'm 6'5"and the BMW 310 GS rates really really well on the knee and hip angles. It's almost the same as the cg500x in measurements but cheaper

·
Registered
163 Posts
I am sorry, but I find it funny when riders who are 6+ feet tall complain about being cramped on a small bike. Meanwhile, if you are a shorter rider with say a 29" inseam it is a hassle to ride these bikes. Taller people have no problem with the 700 or 800 and above with their high seats, so why buy a 310GS? There is always KTM's 35" seat on the new 390ADV that I could never ride unless there was log or curb everywhere I needed to stop. OR an automatic stand that came down when the bike comes to a stop.

I am not trying to be pissy towards taller riders, but you have far more choices of rides than shorter riders who need a lower seat to keep the bike from falling at even a modest lean at a stop. You have more leverage to hold up a 1200 than I do to hold a 310. If I was 6 feet, I would go with the.... I just looked it up. The 750 is 32.1" and the 310 is 32.9. WTF BMW !!! Go with 850ADV or KTM 390 ADV and get the legroom you need.

PS: I would still have a hard time holding up the 750 with the extra 100 lb of weight.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I’m sure you can get foot pegs which are lower (and larger) than standard. These would definitely help you. Also a comfortable seat pad would raise you up another 1/2” or so.
Do you have bar risers fitted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm 1.92m. On the 310GS, only the knees touch the tank, and the legs are split more than on the 310R. I like a total grip with the thighs, not just the knees. On the R, the legs go nicely under the wings of the tank; the knees are relaxed, perfect fit. I ended up buying the R.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I am sorry, but I find it funny when riders who are 6+ feet tall complain about being cramped on a small bike. Meanwhile, if you are a shorter rider with say a 29" inseam it is a hassle to ride these bikes. Taller people have no problem with the 700 or 800 and above with their high seats, so why buy a 310GS? There is always KTM's 35" seat on the new 390ADV that I could never ride unless there was log or curb everywhere I needed to stop. OR an automatic stand that came down when the bike comes to a stop.

I am not trying to be pissy towards taller riders, but you have far more choices of rides than shorter riders who need a lower seat to keep the bike from falling at even a modest lean at a stop. You have more leverage to hold up a 1200 than I do to hold a 310. If I was 6 feet, I would go with the.... I just looked it up. The 750 is 32.1" and the 310 is 32.9. WTF BMW !!! Go with 850ADV or KTM 390 ADV and get the legroom you need.

PS: I would still have a hard time holding up the 750 with the extra 100 lb of weight.
For information, yesterday I sat on a KTM390 Duke (which the 390 adventure is based on).
Compared to my 310GS, the Duke was VERY tight! It felt like my elbows were almost at my sides! I'm 183cm (6ft) My friend who is 5cm shorter than me also tried it and thought the same. So it would suggest that a KTM390ADV is NOT a good alternative to the 310GS for taller people.
I have 32mm (1 1/2") bar risers on my GS. Taller riders should DEFINITELY fit these. You should also consider replacing the footpegs with the 19mm (3/4") lower versions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm 1.99m and I had the extended seat, from 835mm (32.9) to 850mm (33.5) and I can feel the difference.
KTM 390 ADV is 855, I've seat on it and find it ok too. It was more expensive here. And orange... :)
The knees are not fitting the same way due to the tank design and I feel fine for that on 310GS

Of course I can't stand up. I'll try the bar risers & lower foot pegs next for extra room, and please share if you have other ideas.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts