BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Just thought I'd share a pic of the bike now that I've added / bought a couple of things for her.
Previously I added an MRA windshield that really helped with the wind blast over stock. I also added the USB ports which have been a fantastic addition and work flawlessly to date.

The wind blast on the highway was still a little much and the fact that she works hard at highway speed it just took away from the experience when riding. (I don't know how you sport bike people handle the blast) So I ended up getting a bigger windshield off Amazon for like $50 or 60 bucks Canadian. Man what a difference, like night and day. At least now it's manageable and less stressful.

I changed out my Ram mount for a Quadlock. I got the case, the o-ring stand, handlebar mount, vibration dampener, and the "rain poncho". Here in Canada that set me back $160 bucks. How do I like it. Well, honestly I expected a lot (and I mean A LOT) more for the price. I kind of feel like I got robbed. I think for $160 Quadlock should have no problems adding a screen protector to that case, there is no reason not to. The case itself is really not much. I can go to any local store and buy a case almost exactly like it for 20 bucks. It's really just a piece of "flimsy" plastic with a lock ring on the back. There is nothing other worldly when it comes to protection. I'd guarantee that the case I keep on my phone far out performs the Quadlock, and given that it's intended purpose is for the active person. They fell short. The locking system itself is nice and simplistic but still the product does not justify the price. It's basically all plastic and at some point it's all going to wear out. When that happens I will probably try the Rokform, or just stick with my Ram Mount and keep the case I know is going to protect my phone. I kind of feel the vibration dampener is a bit of a gimmick, if cell phones were getting wrecked due to vibrations it would be a thing. I never had an issue prior to this and honestly hadn't even heard anything about it until Quadlock started advertising it.

The next thing I added / replaced was my top bag I had on the back. I had a Nelson Riggs top bag that was perfect for doing quick errands around town or maybe an overnighter. I've kept that bag but have also purchased the SW-Motech 50 Litre Cargo tail bag. I freaking love this bag, lots of room (for what I need) easy to mount and dismount and it looks great on the bike.

The last thing I've added was the SW-Motech Skid Plate. All the reviews say its one of the best and everything I watched said installation was around 45min-1 hr. Nah, half hour tops, this thing was so easy to install and fit perfectly, did not have to force anything. I am still trying to figure out if the GIVI lower crash bar would fit with this skid plate but I haven't hear back from anyone I contacted regarding this.
I bought some paint to paint it black to keep with the aesthetics of the bike, but I couldn't wait and decided to install it just to see what it looked like. Turns out it looks pretty good as is, so I decided to leave it and just went around putting lock tight on all the nuts and bolts.

Oh and I also added an SW-Motech kickstand enlarger.

That is all, sorry for the length and hear are a few pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's a 'real' touring windshield.....
I'm only little lad , so the MRA works for me
Yeah I'm not very big either, and I really liked the MRA it was just the damn highway driving.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Very nice and tasteful improvements love the windshield too it looks like they scoop out the sides a lot more than givi does.

·
Super Moderator
1,108 Posts
Hey all,
Just thought I'd share a pic of the bike now that I've added / bought a couple of things for her.
Previously I added an MRA windshield that really helped with the wind blast over stock. I also added the USB ports which have been a fantastic addition and work flawlessly to date.

The wind blast on the highway was still a little much and the fact that she works hard at highway speed it just took away from the experience when riding. (I don't know how you sport bike people handle the blast) So I ended up getting a bigger windshield off Amazon for like $50 or 60 bucks Canadian. Man what a difference, like night and day. At least now it's manageable and less stressful.

I changed out my Ram mount for a Quadlock. I got the case, the o-ring stand, handlebar mount, vibration dampener, and the "rain poncho". Here in Canada that set me back $160 bucks. How do I like it. Well, honestly I expected a lot (and I mean A LOT) more for the price. I kind of feel like I got robbed. I think for $160 Quadlock should have no problems adding a screen protector to that case, there is no reason not to. The case itself is really not much. I can go to any local store and buy a case almost exactly like it for 20 bucks. It's really just a piece of "flimsy" plastic with a lock ring on the back. There is nothing other worldly when it comes to protection. I'd guarantee that the case I keep on my phone far out performs the Quadlock, and given that it's intended purpose is for the active person. They fell short. The locking system itself is nice and simplistic but still the product does not justify the price. It's basically all plastic and at some point it's all going to wear out. When that happens I will probably try the Rokform, or just stick with my Ram Mount and keep the case I know is going to protect my phone. I kind of feel the vibration dampener is a bit of a gimmick, if cell phones were getting wrecked due to vibrations it would be a thing. I never had an issue prior to this and honestly hadn't even heard anything about it until Quadlock started advertising it.

The next thing I added / replaced was my top bag I had on the back. I had a Nelson Riggs top bag that was perfect for doing quick errands around town or maybe an overnighter. I've kept that bag but have also purchased the SW-Motech 50 Litre Cargo tail bag. I freaking love this bag, lots of room (for what I need) easy to mount and dismount and it looks great on the bike.

The last thing I've added was the SW-Motech Skid Plate. All the reviews say its one of the best and everything I watched said installation was around 45min-1 hr. Nah, half hour tops, this thing was so easy to install and fit perfectly, did not have to force anything. I am still trying to figure out if the GIVI lower crash bar would fit with this skid plate but I haven't hear back from anyone I contacted regarding this.
I bought some paint to paint it black to keep with the aesthetics of the bike, but I couldn't wait and decided to install it just to see what it looked like. Turns out it looks pretty good as is, so I decided to leave it and just went around putting lock tight on all the nuts and bolts.

Oh and I also added an SW-Motech kickstand enlarger.

That is all, sorry for the length and hear are a few pics. View attachment 15875 View attachment 15876 View attachment 15878
They got you with the o-ring stand, vibration dampener, and the rain poncho, $160 is a bit expensive. I started with a second hand bicycle mount and slowly bought additional stuff, still expensive but worth it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They got you with the o-ring stand, vibration dampener, and the rain poncho, $160 is a bit expensive. I started with a second hand bicycle mount and slowly bought additional stuff, still expensive but worth it.
Honestly had I known what the quality was going to be like I would have spent the same amount of money and tried the Rokform and it's metal parts. I guess we all have to learn a lesson every now and then.....so it looks like it was my turn to learn. lol.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the Givi engine guard bars on my GS 310 And I’m pretty sure they won’t fit with that SW skid plate. I tried the BMW plate, that’s a definite no.I ended up with the Wunderlich version which looked flat enough in pictures but I still had to cut off a few pieces to get it to fit around the GIVI engine bars.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have the Givi engine guard bars on my GS 310 And I’m pretty sure they won’t fit with that SW skid plate. I tried the BMW plate, that’s a definite no.I ended up with the Wunderlich version which looked flat enough in pictures but I still had to cut off a few pieces to get it to fit around the GIVI engine bars.
Hi,
I'm confused by Vermontski's comment above. I also have the Givi crash bars and easily fitted the aluminum BMW accessory bash plate:
All you need to do is open the rear mounting holes through to the back of the plate, to turn them into slots- All of a 3/4'' cut. Maybe he/she was referring the the OEM plastic thing ? I never even tried with that....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts