BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my G310R as a pre-registered buy in October 2019. I am not afraid of getting cold and wet, and ride in winter as long as it is not icy. Shame the weather protection is so poor, a characteristic of so many bikes these days. Add this to the lockdown we have all suffered and I have not chosen to ride this little thing as much as I would like. Teething problems include a refusal to start several times now following short rides. My headlight flickers on all but the smoothest of surfaces, irritating other road users. My clutch is more like a switch, engaging abruptly and causing me to stall. It is 'workable'. Plenty of revs! But not great and something that the dealer needs to look at. I also find the riding position a bit cramped and the chain hits the swinging arm when the chain is hot. Sounds like I am a bit of a moaner, but there are plenty of plus points as you all know. Thrash this little thing and it is great fun, with decent roadholding and grip once the tyres are warm. The brakes are OK and the ABS works well. A battery with higher amps, extra stuffing in the seat and a bit of fettling to sort out the clutch and all should be fine. I will buy a decent chain when the OEM item needs renewing too. Never known a chain go from fine and adjusted correctly to slack and too loose some 20 miles later. My Velocette feels like a bit of a plank after riding the 310 but it has a nicer clutch, better gear shift and sounds a lot nicer. Not as much progress as you would think since the Velo was made in 1954! Greetings to all on this forum. Took me numerous attempts to be allowed to join but revised site now works nicely. Thanks to all involved.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

A few things that might help.

1) adjustable levers are you friend! They will transform the clutch. Just be warned some of the cheaper eBay ones will hit the switch block for the indicators and BMW will blame that for and clutch issues in the future. BMW also sell their own branded adjustable levers for the g310's

2) I tighten my headlight mounting bolts and it helped with the vibration, also the factory headlight is rubbish and I would recommend replacing it with a higher output bulb.

3) the brakes are ok, but the pads are very average. Upgrading to better pads can help a lot with the feel and bite. I've had an issue where the brake fluid has leaked out of the master and the paint has been damaged on the master.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks DRTDVL. My clutch action is really poor; but it could be me! Will do on the headlight. As to the brakes, waiting for the new callipers to be fitted. New pads are a good idea. Thanks again.

·
Registered
250 Posts
the on/off clutch does improve with age / mileage. They are renowned for being like that.!!
check the cable adjustment + make sure its free and not kinked somewhere.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts