BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In April I bought a 2019 (69) G310GS with 2,000 miles on it. Some of you won't be surprised to learn that it dripped coolant from the drain hose coming from the water pump / right side engine case housing. I read up on this and that the water pump bearing or seals were the likely culprit. My local BMW dealer's workshop was booked out a month ahead, so I decided to do the job myself. Ordered up the parts and took it apart as per the workshop manual. I was shocked to discover that the reason for the leak is not the bearing or seal, but a very poor engine case casting in which it sits!

The red is sealant, inside the very rough casting is clearly visible including into the channel leading to the hose outlet!

BMW supplied a new engine casing and, guess what? It comes with the water pump bearing and seals already fitted; it also looks a totally different quality to the original.

·
Registered
342 Posts
well done t12adg thats a good bit of detective work.
I had the 'leak' done under waranty ..
The bmw service manager said "thats nothing to worry about".!!
Luckily the mechanics over-ruled him and put new parts in..

·
Registered
46 Posts
well done t12adg thats a good bit of detective work.
I had the 'leak' done under waranty ..
The bmw service manager said "thats nothing to worry about".!!
Luckily the mechanics over-ruled him and put new parts in..
Interes

·
Registered
46 Posts
Can anyone post a pic as to where the leak was noticed, I noticed some bluish drops of liquid just inside my skid plate under the drain hose, I would have never noticed it due to the black colour of the stock skid plate, but I have an sw-motech aluminum one and noticed it when I was cleaning my chain this morning.

Thanks,

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thats where I saw my leak on sump guard , put a small plastic catch bottle inside the sump guard and cable tied it to guard to collect the evidence for dealer , had it done under warranty.

·
Registered
14 Posts
In April I bought a 2019 (69) G310GS with 2,000 miles on it. Some of you won't be surprised to learn that it dripped coolant from the drain hose coming from the water pump / right side engine case housing. I read up on this and that the water pump bearing or seals were the likely culprit. My local BMW dealer's workshop was booked out a month ahead, so I decided to do the job myself. Ordered up the parts and took it apart as per the workshop manual. I was shocked to discover that the reason for the leak is not the bearing or seal, but a very poor engine case casting in which it sits!

View attachment 15939
The red is sealant, inside the very rough casting is clearly visible including into the channel leading to the hose outlet!

BMW supplied a new engine casing and, guess what? It comes with the water pump bearing and seals already fitted; it also looks a totally different quality to the original.
Was that covered by the warranty?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Having had the problem with the minor coolant leak from the drip pipe since buying the G3102r in April, the info on here has been very helpful. I kept my eye on it hoping it just might stop without further attention but with no avail.
The bike was taken to the dealer who had the water pump seal replaced and all is fine now. I realise this is a long ongoing problem which has been a topic on here but it would seem a fault that persists even now, for some.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts