BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Good video and read concerning ABS off-road. Basically modern ABS is not a detriment riding off road. They still also also some sliding of the rear tire.
i haven’t had a chance to really push it yet. Most riders on the g310s are not at the level of the theaters. So food for though.
Riding down steep hills, gravely etc, wasn’t address. It was also done with heavy adventure bikes. We’re a lot lighter.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Good video and read concerning ABS off-road. Basically modern ABS is not a detriment riding off road. They still also also some sliding of the rear tire.
i haven’t had a chance to really push it yet. Most riders on the g310s are not at the level of the theaters. So food for though.
Riding down steep hills, gravely etc, wasn’t address. It was also done with heavy adventure bikes. We’re a lot lighter.

Hi Val remember the G310 ABS it's no the same of other more advanced bikes.
To me real problem it's in high downhill with rocks, even if you run at 1st gear, the abs will kick and it will be very difficult to stop.
If the ABS was so good, the option to disconnect it will not be available on other bikes, don't know why BMW remove the option to disable, maybe something to do with driving license class, on some European countries.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi Val remember the G310 ABS it's no the same of other more advanced bikes.
To me real problem it's in high downhill with rocks, even if you run at 1st gear, the abs will kick and it will be very difficult to stop.
If the ABS was so good, the option to disconnect it will not be available on other bikes, don't know why BMW remove the option to disable, maybe something to do with driving license class, on some European countries.
Maybe to save money, instead you have slippery clutch and wire throttle, at this price point you can't get all!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I finished my switch splice into the rear ABS sensor cable. I was able to find an old cable on eBay for $25 and the switch mentioned earlier for $13.99 on amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08K8FJVV5). Hardest part was getting my hand inside the mess of wiring behind the rear brake fluid reservoir and disconnecting everything. Splicing was simple if you're used to doing basic wiring and soldering. Then went for a test ride:

• ABS still works as it should with my new ABS switch on. ABS light blinks for a few seconds on start up, then goes off after traveling a few feet down the road.
  • Flipping my new ABS switch, the ABS light on the dash illuminates steadily, not blinking. I can easily get the rear tire to slide under hard braking both on pavement and dirt.
  • Flipping the ABS switch back to on, the ABS light stayed on and rear ABS was definitely not switched back on.
  • To get the rear ABS to enable again, I had to shut the bike off, turn it back on with the new ABS switch in the on position. Then normal function was restored and the ABS light turned off after traveling a few feet.

So, this works, and I assume fabricating a plug in switch (if we can figure out the plugs) would work also. With the caveat that in order to get ABS to turn back on, you have to switch the bike off then back on again.

And, for the record, I agree with Bret Tkacs. I want my ABS on 99% of the time, on road and off road. The only time I want it off is down hill rocky terrain. And doing cool power slide braking to show off.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I finished my switch splice into the rear ABS sensor cable. I was able to find an old cable on eBay for $25 and the switch mentioned earlier for $13.99 on amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08K8FJVV5). Hardest part was getting my hand inside the mess of wiring behind the rear brake fluid reservoir and disconnecting everything. Splicing was simple if you're used to doing basic wiring and soldering. Then went for a test ride:

• ABS still works as it should with my new ABS switch on. ABS light blinks for a few seconds on start up, then goes off after traveling a few feet down the road.
  • Flipping my new ABS switch, the ABS light on the dash illuminates steadily, not blinking. I can easily get the rear tire to slide under hard braking both on pavement and dirt.
  • Flipping the ABS switch back to on, the ABS light stayed on and rear ABS was definitely not switched back on.
  • To get the rear ABS to enable again, I had to shut the bike off, turn it back on with the new ABS switch in the on position. Then normal function was restored and the ABS light turned off after traveling a few feet.

So, this works, and I assume fabricating a plug in switch (if we can figure out the plugs) would work also. With the caveat that in order to get ABS to turn back on, you have to switch the bike off then back on again.

And, for the record, I agree with Bret Tkacs. I want my ABS on 99% of the time, on road and off road. The only time I want it off is down hill rocky terrain. And doing cool power slide braking to show off.
I’m curious, have you ever done a comparison with the g310gs’ ABS on then turned off, going down your favorite steep rocky hill?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I’m curious, have you ever done a comparison with the g310gs’ ABS on then turned off, going down your favorite steep rocky hill?
It's not just going down rocky hills, this is why I also want to turn it off.
Don't trust on everything you see on YouTube, just because one guy have too much subscribers, sometimes people do no see the full picture.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Lol breath dude. I was just curious. You know a real world with and without.
i personally am not at at the skill set to go charging around hills and or flat.
Btw the one guy on YouTube is actually a pretty good rider and well respected. I personally don’t subscribe to his channel.
I mentioned his video as food for thought for others and not a condemnation of your g310gs ABS hack.
‘Glad it works for you and probably others
Myself and, guessing many others on this forum, at this stage. probably don’t need to worry.
Hopefully you can get out and ride soon. The fresh air is good for the soul.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Lol breath dude. I was just curious. You know a real world with and without.
i personally am not at at the skill set to go charging around hills and or flat.
Btw the one guy on YouTube is actually a pretty good rider and well respected. I personally don’t subscribe to his channel.
I mentioned his video as food for thought for others and not a condemnation of your g310gs ABS hack.
‘Glad it works for you and probably others
Myself and, guessing many others on this forum, at this stage. probably don’t need to worry.
Hopefully you can get out and ride soon. The fresh air is good for the soul.
I'm breading... I did ride off road today, a lot of sun in my country... ;)
I'm not bashing the other channel or video, just because someone one don't need something, or thinks it's not needed, doesn't meen is wrong or I'm right, if i started the thread it's because I needed it or just want. Remember the bike on that video have off road mods and more advanced abs systems.
I'm not young, I'm 50 years old I've been without motorcycle for about 20 years, before that I had a lot of dirt bikes, and made some enduro in my country, I'm rusty, but I've seen a lot of videos when things go wrong because someone forgot to turn off the abs, and if it wasn't useful the majority of off road bikes don't have the option to turn it off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I haven't had a chance to test it on the rockiest sections of the trails near me yet. But I will report back when I do. Though it is fun sliding on the gravel again.

Speaking of Bret Tkacs near the end of the video below is the situation I'm referring to. Here Bret does say to turn off the ABS because of the unique situation where the impact of the front wheel may be interpreted as wheel lock up, triggering ABS and putting the bike into a free roll:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Just one question off topic, do you have any "clunck" on the front fork when the wheel lifts from the ground?
I started a complain in the dealer, I've searched in the internet and there's people complaining about that since the first model, I'm waiting to see what they will tell me.
Another thing that I notest in my bike it's rear shock, it's mounted upside down from the manual... I was going to put more preload and in the manual you need to take off the lateral cover, but in my bike was near the swing arm...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've not noticed any clunks or noises of any kind. Compared to the Triumph Tiger 800 this bike replaced, I'm amazed at the lack of mechanical noises. Both on and off road this thing is solid.

I replaced my rear shock with a Tractive model from Rally Raid, but yes the stock rear shock was mounted in the opposite direction of the Tractive shock's mounting.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've got the clunk, talked to dealer about while on warranty = naturlich they never heard it.
Only does it while accelerating on rough surface.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts