BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got mine in and wondering what are you using to charge cell phones and GPS with? For those of you who have one also.

·
Super Moderator
974 Posts
I use a usb socket spliced directly into the Aux power cable behind the headlight. See my posts in http://www.g310rforum.com/forum/169-electronics/2481-electrical-socket-location.html

You can also get a bmw plug so that you don't have to splice into the cable, you should be able to get all of the parts for around $30.

Probably not what you're after, but a better solution than a powerlet adapter and routing a cable from the power socket to the handlebars imho.

·
Super Moderator
974 Posts
We cnc machine a billet top clamp that is flat, and has M4 screws that can mount an Auxillary Plate for 12V or USB power sockets

G310GS/R Billet OEM Top Clamp-RRP 824

G310GS/R 12V Auxillary Plate OEM Bars-RRP 535
Any chance you could get a key cylinder cover (to replace the existing cover) made up with one or two usb sockets on the sides, that plugs directly into the aux power plug behind the headlight? That would be nice and should work with both the R and the GS (and maybe other BMW models)!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean, what would it attach to?
I believe he means that the USB plugs would be attached to either side of a replacement ignition key barrel cover.

Reactions: porth

·
Super Moderator
974 Posts
BMW have a really nice looking dual USB charger, around the AUD 75 mark, don't know if the powerlet plug can be cut off and replaced with an mcon plug

·
Registered
72 Posts
Decided to run a fused supply straight off the battery, picked up a kit for about $30 from Jaycar (local auto electric supplies). I’ll need to take some fairings off to install but should be a simple job. Will give me a weatherproof USB supply beside the ignition barrel.
I see Rally Raid has a similar kit and choice of 12V /USB sockets.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I don't like having wires draped across my handlebars, so I mounted a Powerlet connector wired directly to the battery onto the right side of the bike under the seat.

It's a very short run to the battery, and I use it for my heated vest, tire pump, and battery tender. The connector for my heated vest drapes across my right thigh, so I never forget to unplug it when I dismount, and the socket for the pump and battery tender is always within easy reach.

·
Registered
324 Posts
awesome, that's a really good job! well done!
Thanks - plenty of room behind the side panels and the panels themselves are quite thick and strong.

Getting to it, though, is another matter.

·
Registered
324 Posts
if you could post any pics it would be appreciated, also where did you buy that led volt meter?
cheers!
It MAY have been this one: Eclipse Battery Voltage Monitor | SparkBright

I'm on the road for a couple of weeks and don't have access to my spending history. There are a lot of them on the market.

As far as getting to the insides, Deja, on this forum, gave me the info needed to get to it. It looks like this. The connectors are kept in place by zip ties - cut the ties and they come free. They have blanking plugs in them to keep them clean. I bought a BMW outlet on ebay that plugged right into one of them. I cut the other one off and spliced the voltage monitor and USB outlets to it.

Note the hole at the bottom of the pic. These bolts do not have to be removed (I got carried away).

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just a quick question, wouldn't it be easier to just take the headlight out by removing the two bolts it in place? Rather than remove so many other bits and pieces. Looking at the photo, if I just pull the headlight out it should give me access to the plugs. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Just a quick question, wouldn't it be easier to just take the headlight out by removing the two bolts it in place? Rather than remove so many other bits and pieces. Looking at the photo, if I just pull the headlight out it should give me access to the plugs. What do you guys think?
Please let us know how that works.

I'm betting that it will wind up being more work than just stripping the bodywork (which you'll probably wind up doing anyway). But I'd love to be proved wrong.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hey guys,

Removing the headlight in the G310R takes less than 10 minutes, 6 bolts total, all with the bike's allen key. However even after reading all the posts I'm still a little confused how to wire there.

Behing the headlight there's the power plug posted by Heap

Which you can connect to this BMW plug (61347714741)

And to that we can attach an actual USB powerlet thing mounted to the handle bar?

Thanks for any input... def not very talented for electrical stuff here.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The connectors on the R are orders of magnitude easier to get to than the ones on the GS.

I don't know what's there on the R, but I would assume that the connector is on a length of cable (probably zip tied so it doesn't dangle) that you can cut the zip tie and route to wherever you need it to go.

You'd typically want the BMW socket mounted somewhere easy to access so that you can plug/unplug whatever widget that you're trying to power. The GS has a couple of handy side panels for mounting stuff (see post #10 for mine), but it makes up for that with an overly complicated routine to get to the wiring. The R has an easy to get to power point, but no handy place to mount a socket.

Can't win.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts