BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
1st photo just opening the headlight compartment, then a close-up of the connector with cap removed.
Sorry to raise the dead, but are these pictures from an R or a GS? I’m pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to remove the headlight assembly on a GS. I’m trying to get at the accessory plug, but I can’t figure out exactly which screws/bolts accomplish that. Anyone? Pretty please! I’ve seen mention in a bunch of threads, but nobody actually says which bolts are involved.

·
Super Moderator
1,162 Posts
Sorry to raise the dead, but are these pictures from an R or a GS? I’m pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to remove the headlight assembly on a GS. I’m trying to get at the accessory plug, but I can’t figure out exactly which screws/bolts accomplish that. Anyone? Pretty please! I’ve seen mention in a bunch of threads, but nobody actually says which bolts are involved.
Those pictures are from an R, I'm pretty sure the GS has the Aux power plugs (2x) in a different location which may require removal of some of the panels.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Yes, for sure. That’s not in question. I know the headlight assembly needs to be removed. It just isn’t obvious how.
"...which may require removal of some of the panels..."

The understatement of the year. Get some sort of container to sort the screws into. Yes, this is what you will have, so don't just dump them into a single pile (like I did the first time).

All you will need is a 5mm hex key. And a 10mm wrench (spanner) if you decide to remove the horn/bracket assembly.

Basic steps:

* Remove saddle

* Remove side plates with BMW logo - 3 screws each, IIRC

* Remove tank cover(s). This will come off in one piece. One long screw front center, one shorter one rear center and two underneath the sides. There are also two in front at the top sides. Again, IIRC. When you have all of the screws removed, the part(s) will come off easily. If they don't, look for a missed screw. There are two screws at the top front that hold the side panels to the center panel - they don't have to be removed, but provide extra flexibility in removing the cover if you do.

* Remove the beak. More screws than you would think possible. Removing the horn bracket helps with access to a couple of the screws, but isn't absolutely necessary - but it does make for less work overall.

I don't remember what the instrument panel cover has, but it doesn't need to be removed, just rotated forward.

Pic from another inmate:

On the left side you will see two connectors that are zip tied out of the way. Cut the zip tie(s), remove the blanking plug and you're in business.

Note that a Genuine BMW power outlet will plug directly into one of the connectors. You will have to either cut the connector off or get a BMW connector to wire up a non-BMW bit. Both connectors are switched with the ignition switch.

My finished product:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thank you SO much! That’s exactly what I was looking for! Someone should make that a sticky.

I already have the necessary plugs from our Canadian friend on eBay.

Thanks again, you’re a lifesaver!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Wish that the GS had been this easy. :-(

·
Registered
56 Posts
I tried to get my dealer (BMW of Seattle) to install a BMW 12V socket on my 310 R, and they said they couldn't find the cable, and that BMW didn't give them any help. After waiting there for almost two hours, they gave up and sent me home. A few days later I called them and told them about that youtube video, and now they know. Sheesh....

·
Registered
335 Posts
Thank you SO much! That’s exactly what I was looking for! Someone should make that a sticky.
You're quite welcome.

Another note - there are two types of screws, shouldered and non-shouldered. Make a note of which goes where. Generally speaking, the holes in the panels for the shouldered ones are bigger, as they (the screws) are intended to snug against the metal part without squashing the plastic panel.

And, FWIW, I have 2 screws that I cannot find out where they go. Somewhat afraid to take it apart again on the chance that I'll have more than 2 left over. Wish that I had taken more pics.

·
Registered
335 Posts
So for a GS both connectors are at the same location, just under the speedo?
Correct - one pointing upwards and the other backwards. Circled in the updated pic.

Cut the zip ties and remove the blanking plug. Both are switched with the ignition key.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Correct - one pointing upwards and the other backwards. Circled in the updated pic.

Cut the zip ties and remove the blanking plug. Both are switched with the ignition key.

Hi MichaelJ, any chance you know which one is the positive and which one is the negative wire?

·
Registered
95 Posts
The black and white one is negative, the yellow one (is it yellow? Red Green disability!) is positive. Positive tension is only available, when key is turned on!
(brutally cut off and soldered to other ordinary connectors! ;))
If you are not shure, take a digital multimeter!

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
@heap
OH- so this is a POWERLET socket that goes into the bike, and NOT a standard cigarette lighter socket? So from the powerlet socket that we fit onto the G310R, we THEN need a powerlet -> cigarette lighter socket (or whatever we want) ... ugh.

Does anyone know if there's a stock (default) location to mount a standard cigarette lighter socket somewhere? Otherwise, it looks like some aftermarket parts to attach and pull cabling through???

·
Super Moderator
1,162 Posts
@heap
OH- so this is a POWERLET socket that goes into the bike, and NOT a standard cigarette lighter socket? So from the powerlet socket that we fit onto the G310R, we THEN need a powerlet -> cigarette lighter socket (or whatever we want) ... ugh.

Does anyone know if there's a stock (default) location to mount a standard cigarette lighter socket somewhere? Otherwise, it looks like some aftermarket parts to attach and pull cabling through???
Cut out the middleman and wire (either splice or buy yourself a plug) a usb charging socket directly to the aux power plug. Check out my other posts for more details, cost me around $20, nice neat and discrete solution.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The black and white one is negative, the yellow one (is it yellow? Red Green disability!) is positive. Positive tension is only available, when key is turned on!
(brutally cut off and soldered to other ordinary connectors! ;))
If you are not shure, take a digital multimeter!
Danke!

·
Registered
222 Posts
@heap

Well, what I described in a previous post was the standard way BMW wants you to connect things. They want you to buy their "socket" and then yes you would need another adapter to connect to it (powerlet/din/hella, not sure how to call it -> to whatever you need) but like most, I found this too expensive and too cumbersome - so I did not end up going that route. For my heated grips I've cutted/removed the AUX connectors on the bike and made connections between my heated grips and the exposed wires. Later for a USB port I've used those connectors that became available on eBay so no cutting on the stock harness this time, cleaner job and still cheap.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Everything that I plug in on a bike has a Powerlet plug. They handle more amps than a lighter plug and don't vibrate out like a lighter plug.

Only way to go.

·
Registered
335 Posts
21 - 40 of 52 Posts