BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a BMWg310 GS 2017, only had one key, spoke to dealer said they could supply one for approx $130. I went to a local Key Lock company and they made me a spare for $12, its a standard key with no fancy bits (immobilizer etc), it works :grin2:

·
Super Moderator
1,173 Posts
Yep, BMW make the keys from the code (that you should keep safe), i.e. they can make a spare key without the original, hence the $130 price tag, a locksmith can make a copy of an existing key. In light of this the pricing is reasonable. If you want BMW look keys, you should be able to get BMW blanks on ebay and then take them to a locksmith to get them cut.

p.s. Unless you bought your bike second hand, you should have received two keys initially, maybe talk to your dealer if you didn't, they might still have them lying around at the dealership.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My experience a bit different. Locksmith did not have a blank that would work---X59 was close with almost exact profile but would not work--too thin. BMW Dealers require title, picture and drivers license of "in person" visit to order new key--they do not sell blanks. Ordered blank from Amazon--same China source as AliExpress probably nut will not receive for a few weeks. Very annoying that BMW does not sell a key blank. I understand not ordering a key without proof of identity, but a key blank is only good to the person who has the original key from which the blank can be copied. Another example of how BMW will struggle to gain share in this 300 cc bike market. They make it difficult to own.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update: The "X59 BMW2" key I had made surprisingly opened the seat lock with no problem, but would not go in fully for the ignition or fuel tank. I measured and measured and found the distance between the narrow grooves was about 0.015" to much compared to the factory key---so with a file, I carefully adjusted the dimension and after a few hours of careful work, the X59 BMW2 key worked---not perfectly, but good enough for a permanent spare. Once I get the Title, I can take Title, Photo ID and Pic of Bike to a BWM dealer and get a new factory key. Keys are important on this bike as they unlock ignition, fuel and seat, so just replacing ignition would still leave you with no key for fuel and seat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts