BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any body got any recommendations on putting a after market exhaust on you GS

The local dealer has recommended a Akrapovic exhaust
It fits straight on with no mapping required ,is lighter, and adds KW and Torque

Any re

·
Registered
324 Posts
Minimal ROI (return on investment). All it really does is make noise. And costs a lot.

IMHO

YMMV

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'd have a look at the Remus system or some slip on's before dropping that kind of money on the Akra. If you're just looking for a change in exhaust note, there are much cheaper alternatives.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'd have a look at the Remus system or some slip on's before dropping that kind of money on the Akra. If you're just looking for a change in exhaust note, there are much cheaper alternatives.
Remus is in the $700 range I believe, not cheaper than Akra. They do offer a discount to members of this forum if I recall, but not aware of the amount.
The only real cheap offering seem to be from a brand called Dominator. In the $200-250 range for complete systems, price varying according to styles.
As for slip-ons, well, you won't find anything readily made for the 310 for the simple reason the stock system is "all-in-one" so you'd have to cut the existing system and custom fit who knows what. Not the easiest route for sure.

·
Registered
222 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Cutting the existing pipe and putting on a generic slip on can’t easily be reversed so keep that in mind for future resale.
Personally I like the akra. Take it off when you’re done with the bike, and resell to recoup some of the cost. BMW offer it as a dealer fitted option so you know it’s not junk.
The Remus looks like the muffler is positioned higher than stock and generally looks a bit weird to me.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Scorpion do a full system, in stainless steel or titanium finish, with the option of a catalytic insert for those countries that require it, or not, as is here in the UK.

By the way, when will Scorpion make this cat insert available ?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I fitted the steel Akra on my GS. Happy with the increased power as it seem to improve low to mid range power, remove lag I sometimes felt when opening the throttle at low rpm. A bit disappointed with the sound as it is only marginally louder than stock with the baffle in and only really screams at high rpm. My euro 4 version does not have an easily removable baffle and require drilling out the pop rivets and a welded bolt to get the baffle out. I'm in 2 minds about going down that route. I did like the look of the Remus but looking at the way it mounts I am quite certain it is not compatible with any side racks for the GS.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Go with the Akrapovic Carbon Fiber S-B3R1-RC/1. I have that on my 310GS. Easy to install, just make sure you have a E16 Torx socket to remove pipe from engine. I took my baffle out before the install and it is not overly loud. I have a Yosh RS-9 in my RC390 and with the baffles out it was so loud you had to wear hearing protection, so I put the baffles in.

The reason you want the carbon fiber is that the stainless model has a CAT in it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Go with the Akrapovic Carbon Fiber S-B3R1-RC/1. I have that on my 310GS. Easy to install, just make sure you have a E16 Torx socket to remove pipe from engine. I took my baffle out before the install and it is not overly loud. I have a Yosh RS-9 in my RC390 and with the baffles out it was so loud you had to wear hearing protection, so I put the baffles in.

The reason you want the carbon fiber is that the stainless model has a CAT in it.
The stainless model has an optional CAT, I fitted mine without a CAT. The stainless steel model is road legal whilst the carbon one is not road legal in a few countries. I went for the stainless steel one as I was worried how the carbon would handle hitting a rock during an off road drop. To my disappointment, I discovered my euro 4 compliant stainless steel version has a non-removable baffle(removal requires drilling out rivets and a welded bolt). I am busy trying to get instructions from Akrapovic on how to remove the baffle as thy do list it as a spare part.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The stainless model has an optional CAT, I fitted mine without a CAT. The stainless steel model is road legal whilst the carbon one is not road legal in a few countries. I went for the stainless steel one as I was worried how the carbon would handle hitting a rock during an off road drop. To my disappointment, I discovered my euro 4 compliant stainless steel version has a non-removable baffle(removal requires drilling out rivets and a welded bolt). I am busy trying to get instructions from Akrapovic on how to remove the baffle as thy do list it as a spare part.
The CF is not road legal in ANY country even the US but who cares! Heck, it's only 310 cc's. Nobody is going to care except maybe some psycho cop in California. If the baffles are in, it should meet any noise standard. I just can't stand the look of the CAT ball on the pipe, same for any other brand. The CF is kind of thin looking compared to the Yoshimura that I have. I guess I'll just have to have some duct tape with me >:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Has any body got any recommendations on putting a after market exhaust on you GS

The local dealer has recommended a Akrapovic exhaust
It fits straight on with no mapping required ,is lighter, and adds KW and Torque

Any re
I went with a Yoshimura complete exhaust system on mine, fits almost right on it, the only thing that my be a little pain to put on is the bracket that holds the exhaust pipe on the bottom.

It sounds really good, I put the baffle in it (louder without it, didn't want to be an *** to the neighbors at 6:00 am) and I like the way it sounds, makes the bike sound way more aggressive than the factory exhaust, sounds like a 400cc dirt bike.

This exhaust was cheaper than the remus and akrapovic.

https://www.motosport.com/yoshimura-r77-full-system-exhaust

·
Registered
84 Posts
Guys, if you are interested in the REMUS Exhaust make sure to contact me. We offer special forum pricing! Simply send an email to [email protected] and get a quote right away.
Hi Patrick, I seriously considered the Remus pipe for my G310GS, but I am looking at fitting side racks as well and it looks like there will be an issue fitting the racks and exhaust to the same mounting point under the seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Regarding the Scorpion Exhausts kit sold by Rally-Raid, as a user I can confirm that it will not work with the H&B racks. Whilst another user has encountered the same problem with the Givi rack and Scorpion kit - see this thread: https://www.g310rforum.com/forum/7-bmw-g310r-general-discussions/8808-hepco-becker-pannier-racks-help-please-2.html#post96788.

The only way to get the Scorpion to work is to have its connecting pipe modified by a competent pipe-fitter so that the silencer can sits suitably inboard and rearward, which also requires fabrication of a mounting bracket to suit.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Hi Patrick, I seriously considered the Remus pipe for my G310GS, but I am looking at fitting side racks as well and it looks like there will be an issue fitting the racks and exhaust to the same mounting point under the seat.
connecting Remus and Hepco to the same mounting points can work. you would use one set of spacers for both. perhaps shaving a bit the spacers is necessary, but maybe not. the question, that I asked in another thread is if Remus is far enough to the left not to touch or heat up the side pannier.

I thought about another solution, which would be fitting the Remus first, and Hepco second with or without shaving the spacers.

·
Registered
751 Posts
now, as I look at the pictures, fitting Remus first before side rack will probably not work. the rack needs to be fitted first and Remus can be attached to the bottom of mounting points. someone mentioned that it would lower the silencer by 20mm, but this maybe not an issue.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Regarding the Scorpion Exhausts kit sold by Rally-Raid, as a user I can confirm that it will not work with the H&B racks. Whilst another user has encountered the same problem with the Givi rack and Scorpion kit - see this thread: https://www.g310rforum.com/forum/7-bmw-g310r-general-discussions/8808-hepco-becker-pannier-racks-help-please-2.html#post96788.

The only way to get the Scorpion to work is to have its connecting pipe modified by a competent pipe-fitter so that the silencer can sits suitably inboard and rearward, which also requires fabrication of a mounting bracket to suit.
what about a simpler solution: a short metal plate with two holes, one attaching to the original mounting point, and second to the silencer? i would think that the system is flexible enough to push the silencer lower.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts