BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Battery load testers ask whether AGM flat or spiral.

Anyone know for the OEM BMW batteries in the 310s?

I'm searching the forum/web, but haven't quickly found the answer.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
look up [or any equivalent] :-
Yuasa YTX9-BS
Motobatt MBTX9U
several of us have moved to Lithium Ion style.
But in the very cold these are not happy
In reading and talking it over with my local BMW service techs, it's seemed weight is the only meaningful difference with lithium.

What advantage have you found in the switch?

Because I may be replacing the stock battery after this load test.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think weight and safety and longevity.
I have a small Lifepo4 setup in my van (Victron) and compared to old battery tech it's a 500 year leap forward in tech.

But I wonder if there is a benefit for the Beemer?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think weight and safety and longevity.
I have a small Lifepo4 setup in my van (Victron) and compared to old battery tech it's a 500 year leap forward in tech.

But I wonder if there is a benefit for the Beemer?
Now when it comes to jump packs ... 👌

I'm blown away how small and convenient the new jump packs have become.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I should buy one. Anything you recommend?
I think they are likely all very similar. Amazon has plenty in the $75 to $100 range with great reviews.

I went the Battery Tender brand just because my local Walmart had it in stock for immediate pickup.

If you camp, backpack, travel, or go boating, these also function as a battery bank for all of your various devices. That really makes these a no brained to buy.

·
Registered
2018 G310R
14 Posts
The big problem with lithium batteries is that you will destroy them if you try charging them at below freezing temperatures. The best lithiums have built in circuits that do not let them be charged when the ambient temperature is at freezing or below. So if you have replaced your motorcycle battery with lithium, do not leave a battery tender charger on it if the ambient temp is ever going below freezing! Also if you were to run the engine when the temperature is below freezing the motorcycles charging system will destroy the battery.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries have some advantages, but essentially require a small computer (battery management system) built into them. This makes them more complex and expensive as well as introducing another point of failure. AND...as mentioned, cannot be charged normally below 32F. Not a good solution for an airplane, motorcycle or motor vehicle that has to operate in below freezing temps. Hard to beat a quality Yuasa AGM motorcycle battery.

So many trends seem to take off in California but weather there is not typical of most of North America.

Manufacturers are addressing the charging problem by programming the BMS to heat the battery before allowing the charger to add power to battery. But this probably not viable or practical for motorcycles.

No battery is without issues when very cold, but with AGM, you can use auxiliary for starting and charge rapidly...the system is very simple.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries have some advantages, but essentially require a small computer (battery management system) built into them. This makes them more complex and expensive as well as introducing another point of failure. AND...as mentioned, cannot be charged normally below 32F. Not a good solution for an airplane, motorcycle or motor vehicle that has to operate in below freezing temps. Hard to beat a quality Yuasa AGM motorcycle battery.

So many trends seem to take off in California but weather there is not typical of most of North America.

Manufacturers are addressing the charging problem by programming the BMS to heat the battery before allowing the charger to add power to battery. But this probably not viable or practical for motorcycles.

No battery is without issues when very cold, but with AGM, you can use auxiliary for starting and charge rapidly...the system is very simple.
I've found no reason to move away from AGM.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts