BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does one have to take all the fairing out and millions of bolts to access it? I had my share of modern bikes, but this one seems to be in the range of most difficult to get to the stuff inside!

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Recently I was checking a video on how to replace the air filter on G310R, the method is clearly explained. Youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O0h820iMS0
thank you for the link to the video. it is very helpful, even though the mounting panels are a bit different in Gs. also the center panel covering the tank is separate. i wonder if it needs to be removed too in order to access the air filter.

i assume that one has to go through the same process to get to the radiator reservoir? the reservoir is so hidden that it is hard to see the coolant level. they could have gone a simpler and more friendly design.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Looks like you can just cut off nozzle at housing to open airbox for more flow. I am assuming that is the airbox intake nozzle.

Has anyone opened airbox for more flow?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Looks like you can just cut off nozzle at housing to open airbox for more flow. I am assuming that is the airbox intake nozzle.

Has anyone opened airbox for more flow?

I would not recommend this, unless you enrich the mixture. i know people doing it with crf and their bikes run weaker. especially, if you additionally fit aftermarket exhaust, the bike will run too lean; i don't know how much the ecu of the gs can compensate. you know with open flow filters, etc, it is like with breathing too fast - you hyperventilate. they might help in some cases at top speed, but you lose the lower end torque.

I personally did the opposite and fitted foam pre-filter on the snorkel, so that my main filter remains clean. I hope some companies like Uniflow in australia will come up with foam filters for gs plus prefilters. the pre-filter on my bike I constructed myself.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi @Kris,

I have a GS on which I swapped the Airfilter for a K&N one recently. I needed to work from the front and remove each individual piece of plastic in order the eventually remove the fuel tank cover. I had to remove my Hepco&Becker engine guard as well to get the 1st piece of plastic off. From memory it was about 30 odd bolts/screws. Not the best set up for an off road bike which might need the filter cleaned due to excess dust. Good luck and give yourself a few hours for the 1st time.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hi @Kris,

I have a GS on which I swapped the Airfilter for a K&N one recently. I needed to work from the front and remove each individual piece of plastic in order the eventually remove the fuel tank cover. I had to remove my Hepco&Becker engine guard as well to get the 1st piece of plastic off. From memory it was about 30 odd bolts/screws. Not the best set up for an off road bike which might need the filter cleaned due to excess dust. Good luck and give yourself a few hours for the 1st time.
[email protected] dust flow filter, you mean? these filters filter nothing and will damage your engine. i was using them externally, and they were always dirty on the inside. the oem filter is just fine, unless you can get foam filter which would be better. i really suggest what I have done - i have rapped a sheet of coarse foam around my snorkel and soaked it with foam filter oil, and do not need to bother anymore about changing the main filter for some years. ps. the foam is already black, after 800km. also fitting a piece of pantyhose would protect the main filter a lot. it is amazing how well it works as a filter. I rapped my external k&n filter with this and the k&n remained clean in most dusty conditions.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I know it as an air filter: https://www.knfilters.com/air-filters/bmw/g310gs , pic of mine attached. I have seen the pre filter "sock" for some of the bigger GS's and would definitely look at fitting one over the snorkel as you said as it looks like you will be able to remove and refit without removing any panels, correct?

What do you mean by external K&N filter, as far as I know the G310GS has 1 air filter, in the the filter box, with an unfiltered snorkel?

Attachments

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I know it as an air filter: https://www.knfilters.com/air-filters/bmw/g310gs , pic of mine attached. I have seen the pre filter "sock" for some of the bigger GS's and would definitely look at fitting one over the snorkel as you said as it looks like you will be able to remove and refit without removing any panels, correct?

What do you mean by external K&N filter, as far as I know the G310GS has 1 air filter, in the the filter box, with an unfiltered snorkel?
external air filter is the one that you attach to the carburettor directly, as in the older bikes. they suck much more dust because they are more exposed. and yes, in gs, the pre-filter you can be changed (washed and re-oiled) without taking the panels off. the snorkel is on right size of the bike, and one can be reached it by hand.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
external air filter is the one that you attach to the carburettor directly, as in the older bikes. they suck much more dust because they are more exposed. and yes, in gs, the pre-filter you can be changed (washed and re-oiled) without taking the panels off. the snorkel is on right size of the bike, and one can be reached it by hand.
i have just taken off all the fairings to look what is going on the inside :) . i noticed that a couple of screws/bolts were missing in the faring; assembled in in India! and the tank fairing has a crack even though I never fell with this bike....:).

but speaking of the air filter, even though I was riding in dusty conditions for 1k, the main filter was white as snow! fitting a prefilter just makes things so much easier. all what you need is a corse foam (preferably around 12mm) and soak it in some oil (preferably the filter oil, but canola oil will work) and you don't have to change the main filter for years. you can just rap the foam around the inlet of the snorkel. just occasionally clean and lubricate the pre-filter which you can reach without taking the panels off. and you engine will have much longer life... in that way, you can use the crappy K&N filter if you like as the pre-filter will filter 95% of the dust.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Just a question because i’m not into airfilters.

If you add an extra filter (=barriere), will your bike get short breathed.
Not enough air at higher revs and ....... loosing power ?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Bas310..... As long as it doesn't reduce the air flow you should be OK. Like the prefilters they are talking about, but as soon as it starts to fill up, it will reduce the flow which is why you will clean more often. You just don't have to take the bike apart to do it.

Kris.... Yeah I know if you open up airbox it will go too lean which will require a PC5 or similar with a new map. If they ever make one for GS/R I will consider it.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bas310..... As long as it doesn't reduce the air flow you should be OK. Like the prefilters they are talking about, but as soon as it starts to fill up, it will reduce the flow which is why you will clean more often. You just don't have to take the bike apart to do it.

Kris.... Yeah I know if you open up airbox it will go too lean which will require a PC5 or similar with a new map. If they ever make one for GS/R I will consider it.

the unifiler's foam prefilters hardly reduce any air flow. they just filter all the crap. in fact, reducing the air flow just slightly maybe a good thing, considering that the mixture is already too lean - less oxygen increases fuel to air ratio.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts