BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One thing I've been noticing about my 310 GS is a strange noise when I pull the throttle.

It sounds like paper flapping in the wind, basically. It starts the moment I turn the throttle but becomes less audible once I hit around 5,000 RPM (maybe because the engine noise drowns it out then). It's definitely coming from the front of the bike. Once I roll off the throttle, it goes away again.

Is this normal? Do you have the same?

·
Registered
8 Posts
One thing I've been noticing about my 310 GS is a strange noise when I pull the throttle.

It sounds like paper flapping in the wind, basically. It starts the moment I turn the throttle but becomes less audible once I hit around 5,000 RPM (maybe because the engine noise drowns it out then). It's definitely coming from the front of the bike. Once I roll off the throttle, it goes away again.

Yup. The 'reverse engine' puts the intake noise up where you can really hear it.

·
Registered
2019 BMWG310GS,2021 Can-Am Spyder RTL
15 Posts

It is rather annoying--so I make sure to wear ear plugs always on mine. I noticed if you place your hand just in the right front of the fuel tank, it dampens the intake noise and I have considered placing some kind of permanent "flap" there to block it. Maybe a piece of stiff styrofoam--but not enough to block any air to the intake horn. Don't cut the intake horn part of the air cleaner--someone else on this site said it makes it worse

·
Registered
750 Posts
I just call it the “Ferrari effect” and remind myself that it’s gonna be hard to drown it. Be a very quiet bike without that feature.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts