BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

Air filter?

12K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Charles A 
#1 ·
I haven't seen anyone mention the air filter yet. Most likely due to the fact most don't have enough miles to warrant a change but nonetheless, does anyone know how you access it?

#6 ·
I've registered my interest on the K&N site for one of their lifetime filters for both the 310R and 310GS.

#7 ·
Just noticed Wunderlich is now offering a high flow Air Filter (can't post links for some reason, but it's easy to find it on Wunderlich website) but no reviews so far :frown2: Looks very similar to a K&N. I'd love to install K&N product but they don't seem to be interested in producing a dedicated G310R/GS air filter. Question is now is there any difference in riding performance? Is there any tuning required to get any benefits from installing the filter? - I would assume NO as ECU & Labmda should take care of the necessary adjustments? Anyone tried these high flow air filters?

#8 ·
Having used K & N s on my airheads, they worked OK. The R65 only had 178,000 on the odometer when it died-the odometer not the bike. Rings were checked at around 150K miles and end gaps were still good. GM did a study and showed the Delco filters did a better job than K & N-unbiased of course. K & N filters need to be cleaned and re-oiled regularly which still involves removing tupperwear. BMW filters meet warranty requirements and cost less than $20.00 so until either the three years or the 36 K miles, it would make sense to use factory filters.

On the airheads, I noticed no difference in performance with either filter, but it was not exactly a high power machine nor is the 310.

#9 ·
K&N company thanks to its clever marketing managed to convince people that their filters are so great, when they are in fact crap. I used them on my bikes, and they were always black on the inside, which means that they let the dust in and kill the engine. air filter is meant to filter, at least that's the idea. furthermore, unless you enrich your mixture and change the map, free flow air filters cause the bike to run weaker. oem filter is much superior. if anything, foam filters (saturated with special oil) are great, such as from UNIFILTER company in Australia. I installed their filter on crf250. As I live in dusty conditions, I am planning to put some kind of pre-filter, on the snorkel to block the dust. I did it on my Tiger 800, and my main filter is always clean, which is important because to access it one has to take off the tank, which is pain.

by the way, where is the snorkel located in gs? even putting pantyhose on the snorkel will block most of the dust. it is actually rather amazing. i put a sock made from one layer of pantyhose on my external K&N filter (when i used because i did not know any better) and the filter underneath remained clean. which actually proves that pantyhose is a better filter than k&n filter :)

#11 ·
You can do an Exhaust and Air Filter (K&N, BMC) and not have to do any adjustments. You can if you want.

If you open air box to make unrestricted, then you will have to remap with PC5 (if they ever make one) or Magnumtuning.com or other.

#12 ·
I have also made some changes to my GS recently. I have replaced the stock exhaust with akrapovic racing line(carbon fiber) and BMC air filter(stock replacement) in place of stock air filter. I have noticed some good gains and great growling from the bike. After all this now i am little concerned about the air fuel mixture. Do you think the g310 siblings need ecu remapping after exhaust and air filter upgrade ?

Ps - I have heard many people saying that the O2 sensor would self correct and take care of it.

#14 · (Edited)
You would probably do better if you added some fuel management like a PCV to fatten the mixture up since you're moving air more freely and the bikes normally run a little lean for emissions. That said, what you hear is roughly correct, feedback from the O2 sensor will cause the ECU to adjust long-term fuel trims [LTFTs], up to a point, there's a maximum on LTFTs and BMW wants the bike lean. Some ECUs will throw a code if they can't get their mixture where they want after maxing LTFTs. Unlikely in this case.

Without fuel management you should be totally fine, maybe a little leaner. However you're also leaving both power and fuel economy on the table.

For anyone with basic intake and exhaust mode like yours or a de-restricted airbox it would be really hard get so lean you do damage. The reality is these mods just don't make that big of a difference or they'd show bigger gains on the dynos.

#13 ·
Maybe a weird question, but I’ve posted on other threads here about the annoying vibration coming from my air box area at between 5500 and 6500 rpm.
So my question is..... could something on the numerous connecting parts be loose.
Failing that, how can I QUIETEN my intake noise???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 ·
This is for 310R but it is probably the same.

I am looking to change filter, but will probably wait until spring.

Reactions: G0MYW
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.