BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, happy riding to all 馃嵒

I am planning to buy Akrapovic Racing Line moto exhaust but i am bit confused between the two -

Racing Line carbon exhaust

Racing Line stainless steel exhaust

I really like the looks of stainless steel exhaust but the full carbon fibre exhaust is offering lil more power. Which one should i get ?

Registered

I am planning to buy Akrapovic Racing Line moto exhaust but i am bit confused between the two -

I really like the looks of stainless steel exhaust but the full carbon fibre exhaust is offering lil more power. Which one should i get ?
carbon can get easily damaged. it is mostly used on sport bikes to save weight, not on adventure/off-road bikes. i had one that cracked without even having any accident. i doubt that carbon one gives more power; i would not trust the numbers they put on their website. the difference between these two is the baffle on the carbon version is see-through so it is louder. but if you manage to remove the baffle in SS, both will be the same in terms of performance.

Super Moderator
If you weigh up the importance of the looks against the (minimal?) power gain, I think looks would win.

Registered
having more open exhaust causes losing power, not gaining power, unless you enrich the fuel. people confuse 'louder' for 'stronger'. the ecu in the bike has been programmed for the oem silencer with the intent to give it as much power as possible.

my Versys 1000 with Akra slip on, lost 10km top speed (220km/h vs 230km/h) in spite of the Akra claims that it gains HP. it is their marketing bs. especially, you compromise the lower end torque. still, the loss is not so much, and one get much lighter silencer, and one that is more pleasing aesthetically; plus better sound.

the Triumph company at least offer the ecu map change for Tiger 800 with their optional open silencer.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5

carbon can get easily damaged. it is mostly used on sport bikes to save weight, not on adventure/off-road bikes. i had one that cracked without even having any accident. i doubt that carbon one gives more power; i would not trust the numbers they put on their website. the difference between these two is the baffle on the carbon version is see-through so it is louder. but if you manage to remove the baffle in SS, both will be the same in terms of performance.
If you weigh up the importance of the looks against the (minimal?) power gain, I think looks would win.
having more open exhaust causes losing power, not gaining power, unless you enrich the fuel. people confuse 'louder' for 'stronger'. the ecu in the bike has been programmed for the oem silencer with the intent to give it as much power as possible.

my Versys 1000 with Akra slip on, lost 10km top speed (220km/h vs 230km/h) in spite of the Akra claims that it gains HP. it is their marketing bs. especially, you compromise the lower end torque. still, the loss is not so much, and one get much lighter silencer, and one that is more pleasing aesthetically; plus better sound.

the Triumph company at least offer the ecu map change for Tiger 800 with their optional open silencer.
Thanks a bunch guys馃嵒 for clearing it out for me. I have decided that I'll get the stainless steel version. It looks good and its more sturdy.

Registered
I have the Carbon fiber as I did not like that bulge halfway up the stainless model. I think the CF is nicer but then again I haven't had it whacked yet.
Remember the exhaust comes with mounts for both the R and the GS so don't throw the other one out. You also need a reverse torx size 6 I think to remove exhaust header. Easy to install but be careful with O2 sensor (you need a O2 sensor socket to remove).

IMPORTANT: I don't know where you live but if you ride with sandals or short pants, you will probably burn the back of your calf on the exhaust especially if you have shorter legs. They sell a heat shield for it (~200USD) which I feel should be free and/or come with the exhaust. Anybody for a class action to provide heat shield?

Registered
I have the Carbon fiber as I did not like that bulge halfway up the stainless model. I think the CF is nicer but then again I haven't had it whacked yet.
Remember the exhaust comes with mounts for both the R and the GS so don't throw the other one out. You also need a reverse torx size 6 I think to remove exhaust header. Easy to install but be careful with O2 sensor (you need a O2 sensor socket to remove).

IMPORTANT: I don't know where you live but if you ride with sandals or short pants, you will probably burn the back of your calf on the exhaust especially if you have shorter legs. They sell a heat shield for it (~200USD) which I feel should be free and/or come with the exhaust. Anybody for a class action to provide heat shield?
I just used the original shield. cut and welded the attachments that are welded on the exhaust pipe and bolted the oem shield. another option, is to attach 2 metal clamps to the inside of the oem shield and put them over the exhaust pipe. something needs to be welded on the inside of the shield to hold the clamps. i have done it on crf250. to spend 1/3 for the heat shield is a complete rip off.... the common strategy of Akra company.

a picture attached

Attachments

Registered
ps. here is a picture of Akra heat shield installed on Versys 1000. i payed 100 usd for this piece of carbon.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts