BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing that the part numbers ended up being the same between the R and GS, I removed the Akra from the 310R and installed it on the 310GS.

It fits fine except for the bracket that attaches to a bush on the frame at the foot peg. Seeing as these are in different locations on the two bikes, Akropovic must be suppling a different bracket for the GS version.

I jury rigged it for the time being until I can source the correct bracket.

Goose is now more lively :grin2:, and Hooli a bit neutered :frown2:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, they are a little different, however I had no problem using an 11mm (best recollection) ring spanner.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, no heat shield, however I will look at getting a strap in sheild so that I don't melt the heals of my boots.

Also, it was a 10mm 'good quality' ring spanner, apparently the header clamp nuts can be stripped if not careful.

·
Registered
12 Posts
No, no heat shield, however I will look at getting a strap in sheild so that I don't melt the heals of my boots.
yes, it get's pretty hot. normal driving is ok for me, but sometimes when ranging the bike it burns :).
We will are about to build our own heat shield, everyone in the garage has a brand mark from here :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's actually an E16 Star or Torx socket. Using a standard socket is likely to damage the bolt head.
Ah thanks MichaelJ, should add one to the toolkit. Having done a few exhaust transplants now, I've been fortunate to not have not had an issue with the 10mm Sydchrome (canna hand a man a Granda spanner - 60's marketing) :wink2:.

·
Super Moderator
895 Posts
I used a ring spanner to remove and re-fit my exhaust and it worked really well, a tiny bit loose, but not enough to cause any damage to the nut.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Seeing that the part numbers ended up being the same between the R and GS, I removed the Akra from the 310R and installed it on the 310GS.

It fits fine except for the bracket that attaches to a bush on the frame at the foot peg. Seeing as these are in different locations on the two bikes, Akropovic must be suppling a different bracket for the GS version.

Did you every get the correct bracket for your 310GS? I can't find the specific Akrapovic exhaust for the 310GS in the states. The model for the 310R is discounted at revzilla and I'm tempted to go ahead and order one for my G310GS.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, just received and fitted. The part number is P-HF1115 - fitting kit for G310GS. Cost was $60AUD + postage.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just put the Akra on my G310R this past week. It was raining so much I just had the opportunity to take her out for the first time. The bike always sounded good after 6,000 RPM's but left a bit to be desired in the lower RPM range. Now she sounds as good as she looks throughout the entire RPM range and provides better performance especially sub 6,000 RPM's. Very pleased with the decision to add this exhaust.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts

I am going to put an Akra on tomorrow aswell on my GS, is there really a need for removing the rear spring during installation? And can it be done alone or do you really need two people for it?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
No, it’s a one man job. No need to remove rear spring. Hardest part really is getting a spanner on and carefully removing the oxygen sensor.
Align everything up before tightening anything up, you need to make sure the swing arm is cleared properly. Then tighten the bracket to the rubber grommet at the foot peg first, then header nuts and the muffler last.

Also pre-twist the oxygen sensor a few times so that when it is screwed back in the wires do not kink.

·
Registered
23 Posts
No, it’s a one man job. No need to remove rear spring. Hardest part really is getting a spanner on and carefully removing the oxygen sensor.
Align everything up before tightening anything up, you need to make sure the swing arm is cleared properly. Then tighten the bracket to the rubber grommet at the foot peg first, then header nuts and the muffler last.

Also pre-twist the oxygen sensor a few times so that when it is screwed back in the wires do not kink.
Great! Sounds like the only thing I need then would be the right tool for the nuts securing the exhaust pipe onto the manifold.
Also, is it possible to skip the cat converter or would that create some fitting issues?
I would rather skip the cat for some more lovely sound even though I have been a good boy and ordered the stainless exhaust wich was street legal so I can get it written into the paperwork without much hassle.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Also, is it possible to skip the cat converter or would that create some fitting issues?
The Catalytic Convertor is a separate module, so yes, I guess it could be omitted. See this schematic from Akrapovic.
Schematic PDF

1 - 20 of 41 Posts