BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The M8 Allen bolt of my engine guard is damaged
Before I do something I can't undo I wanted your opinions
Not easy access because the crash bar is in front so drilling with left-handed bit won't work unless I use a bit extension... But is it enough control on the bit with that extension?
It s a rounded head so maybe with a dremmel cutting a X shape to use a Phillips screwdriver I won't have enough power since the bolt was tightened at torque 45.

Ideas guys?
8D7E760D-DBE9-45FB-B19C-C934BCE990E6.jpeg

·
Registered
2019 BMW G310 GS
26 Posts
I would first try with a star pattern bit driver that will be a tight fit in the hole, you might have to gently tapped in, , if that doesn’t work than drill it out with reverse bit( easy out tool) .

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would first try with a star pattern bit driver that will be a tight fit in the hole, you might have to gently tapped in, , if that doesn’t work than drill it out with reverse bit( easy out tool) .
A drill won't fit because the crash bar is right in front of the bolt. That s want actually caused the deterioration of the head when I tightened. It slipt a few times.
Unless I use a bit extension....
Thx for the ideaa

·
Registered
368 Posts
I would start like Makedon suggests, a slightly too large Torx-bit. If that doesn't help, I would try to beat it out with a chisel. The technique is to force the bolt to rotate counter clockwise with the chisel. Next step, if a chisel cant get it to move, would be to grind the head off and loosen the complete crash bar. When the head is gone, there is no pressure left on the bolt and it can be removed with vise grips

·
Registered
108 Posts
As you have washer underneath it use a sharp chisel or sharp punch ( should not damage the black finish) and hit it loosen / or if someone is assisting hit the head of the bolt to deform the allen socket part of the bolt tap socket into the bolt then one person hit the side of the bolt with chisel or punch while the other turns the bolt.

·
Registered
368 Posts
had similar problem with the bolt of the gear lever. I used successfully beta tools. One of this set
Problem with most extractors is that they are made of hardened steel, which is brittle. The bolt in question is tightened with 45 Nm, that's pretty tight. Thee is a big risk to snap the extractor (DAHIK) and then you have the piece of the extractor in the Allen slot.
I suggest Xavpil you try other methods first.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Here at my work, we often come across bolts and screw heads that have been mashed. The engineers nearly always use the same method of extraction.
1. Liberal spray with penetrating oil (WD40/PlusGas/etc) leave it work whilst having a Cup of tea (they do a lot of that).
2. Use a slightly larger Torx bit tapped into the head.
3. If that won't come out with a hand pressure use an impact driver.
4. More penetrating oil, another cuppa tea - have another go.
This rarely fails where they have to resort to drilling

·
Registered
177 Posts
You could try cutting a slot for a large screwdriver (no access for an impact driver?) using a dremel.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks.
that's an option. But I don't think I'll have enough strength to get 45nm out... and I can't be perpendicular to the bolt either... but good option

·
Registered
333 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks a lot!!! Really appreciate!!
Do you think the Philips head will bite into the Allen head?

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you do have to resort to drilling consider a right-angle drive adapter to reduce the clearance required above the head of the bolt, but do try the plus gas and torx bit first.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts