BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, forum! Like a lot of folks, I've spent a lot of time riding bike fast bikes all over the place, and now I want something light and easy to transport for getting around town and going camping when we take the RV out. I ride a Tiger 800 now, and recently had a DRZ400SM--I looked hard at getting another, but they're more expensive than the 310! My prior BMWs have been a '96 1100 GS (verrrry different animal) and a X-Country 650.

So I picked up my 310 GS from Bob's BMW yesterday: a demo with 250 miles on the clock. I've put another 75 on her since, an even blend of in town, curvy roads, and 65-ish mph four lanes.

I like the stock windscreen. At the 600 mi. service in a few weeks, she's getting the Akrapovic and a Shorai, and I've a tail tidy on order. Other than that I'm just going to ride a while and see. Suspension seems fine for now, I like the tires. My super-big interest is making her lighter. I don't think there's much to be done with the engine. There doesn't seem to be much happening below about 4000 rpm, nature of the beast?

I've put a set of Enduristan Monsoon 3 soft cases through all kinds of **** on my Tiger, but they don't fit the 310. So I'm getting some Blizzards. I also have a 20l dry bag that can go across the rack. I like that rack, it's big & wide.

The only thing I really don't like so far is the rear brake. I need to re-check the manual...it's mushy as **** but it didn't look adjustable (?). I also wonder if folks find it necessary to loctite screws on these.

So anyway, hi, and looking forward to the new scoot! --ridin / Mike

·
Super Moderator
975 Posts
A new exhaust should lighten things up, apart from that, consider a lithium battery for a little more weight saving.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hi neighbor (Northern Virginia here). I, too, was looking for something a bit lighter than my Tiger (an Explorer 1200) and am quite happy with the Baby GS. The rear brake seems to be a "feature" and not a bug - the consensus is that it is somewhat lacking on the road, but just about right in the dirt.

I've gone in a different direction with mine in that it's a mini-tourer with a bit of off pavement capability. The TEx is just too heavy for me to be comfy with it on loose surfaces.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks porth--yeah, that's the Shorai. Weighs just over 2 lbs I believe.

Hi neighbor--looks like we had a similar thought process! Funny thing too, the Bob's salesman turned out to be a former MoD guy I'd met a few times down in Dulles. Glad to know you're nearby, I'm between Rockville and Bethesda, on the park.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts