BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ordered Crash Bars from Alli? Is so, how was the fit? Cost? Have not added bars yet and weighing out my options.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have been through this process of looking for crash bar on aliex and other suppliers.
Finally I went with Zanainternational crash bars.

One of the main reason I did not choose aliexpress sellers is the way the upper and lower crash guards are connected.
Here is an example of this connection

The connection with my crash bars is much more solid and from the outside.

Also I am not sure about the metal tube thickness with aliexpress sellers.

Unfortunately Zana did not provide installation instructions but they send me installation video talking in hidi. I had to figure out the installations details by myself.

My installation advice is do NOT tighten screws each alone, but install all screws then tighten them all 25% , then all 50% , etc ...

·
Registered
295 Posts
You need to ask yourself what you want the crash bars for. If it's for the looks, go for anything cheap that looks good. If you want something that really protects your bike from impacts when driving off-road, go for Rally Raid Products. The cheap ones are decoration and their lower parts are fixed to the engine. At a hard impact you are at risk of damaging the engine and might not be able to limp home after a crash. The Rally Raid Product's are attached to the much stronger frame of the bike and seems to be able to take much more sever beating. You can always limp home with a bent frame, if the engine still works.
Protecting the tank covering plastics with metal bars is more expensive than replacing the fairings. But it gives a cool look and adds street credibility. It also adds support for additional lights and bags.
I ordered lower bars for my G310GS from China (not from Ali-x). My aim is to give some scratch protection for the engine sides and radiator when the bike will be used for somebody learning to get a motorcycle drivers license.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good insight! Thanks for the updates will check those 2 products : Rally Raid and Zana. Just hate paying the high markup here in the States.

·
Registered
7 Posts
At a hard impact you are at risk of damaging the engine and might not be able to limp home after a crash
point very well taken and makes complete sense !
now I would need to modify my Zana crashbars rear mounting point, and connect them to the the centre stand tabs on the frame instead to the engine block.

Correct me if I am wrong, the down side of the Rally Raid is that, to change the oil filter you need to remove the hole crash bars as the plate is soldered to them ?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, the down side of the Rally Raid is that, to change the oil filter you need to remove the hole crash bars as the plate is soldered to them ?
No need to remove, just take out the front bolts and loosen the rear ones. After that you just lower the front and change the filter. At least that was how I understood JMo did it.

·
Registered
G310GS, S1000RR. HP2.
87 Posts
Hopefully you never need to test what breaks first, the protection or the part of your engine, were the protection is attached.
There is a big bracket behind with 2 bolts. But I will check safety again next ride. ;)

It was tested three years ago.
My son thought that he could handle the bike and wanted to walk it into my garden.
Only five seconds that I was away.
He was very helpful, but the motorcycle hit the ground very hard. :rolleyes:

Only a minor bend lever and some scratches at the upper side of the tank (it hit ladders put there by house painters).

Recently tested the same build on another bike.

I started 100 meters back on the tarmac.
Still good. :giggle:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts