BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve taken the rubbers inserts off my foot pegs to expose the teeth and give me more grip in muddy/wet conditions. However they are quite small.
So I’d like to replace my standard pegs with aftermarket off-road pegs. BUT here’s the problem...
Where I live is REMOTE and it’s practically impossible to order any ‘normal’ replacements.
However on my local on-line website I see quite a good selection of pegs, but ALL are for other bikes...Honda’s, KTMs etc.
So my question is..... Does anyone know what (if any) alternative foot pegs from different manufacturers I can use??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
752 Posts
I fitted SW Motech ones, which are much bigger. But I did it more for road comfort rather than off-road. but you can remove the rubbers and you have bigger off-road footpegs in that way.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I fitted SW Motech ones, which are much bigger. But I did it more for road comfort rather than off-road. but you can remove the rubbers and you have bigger off-road footpegs in that way.

Yeh I know about SW Motech, but they’re practically impossible for me to get.
But I do see pegs available for other makes of bike here....Honda’s and KTMs mostly.
I’m trying to find out if a peg for a Honda XXX (for example) will for the 310GS.

·
Registered
165 Posts
It's fairly easy to bend some steel strip to shape, cut serrations in it with a grinder, and weld it to the existing rest to enlarge it. There must be a place nearby that works metal? Most motorcyclists know someone who can weld.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's fairly easy to bend some steel strip to shape, cut serrations in it with a grinder, and weld it to the existing rest to enlarge it. There must be a place nearby that works metal? Most motorcyclists know someone who can weld.

Yes that is certainly possible but not really something I’d like to pursue. I’ve never heard of anyone doing it or seen any evidence of what it may look like.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yes that is certainly possible but not really something I’d like to pursue. I’ve never heard of anyone doing it or seen any evidence of what it may look like.

This was not an uncommon mod in the days before trials bike manufacturers fitted "modern" footrests. The advantage is that you get exactly the size and shape of rest that you want (can be extended forward, back, or outward). This page https://www.rickramsey.net/Montesa4RTmods.htm#footpegs shows a less extreme example.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice article with some interesting options. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
5 Posts
As of August 2020...only pegs I can find are the SW Motech Evo/Ion and Pivot Pegs has a set specifically for the 310. I tried the Pivot Pegs on a different bike in the past and didn't care for them...just didn't like foot pegs that moved. The Pivot Pegs are excellent quality.

I am going with the SW Motech Ion pegs.

Looking at my local BMW dealer...a set of pegs for a big GS i.e. 1200/1250 may work but I have not been able to verify whether or not they'll work. There are several good options for the Big GS foot pegs so it sure would be nice. I am learning that most things that work on Jap bikes do NOT work on my BMW...just a different design in Europe than from Japan. Bar risers is another example...the risers that go between the handlebars and and the handlebar mount on a Jap bike will NOT work on a 310...the bolt pattern is different so you'll either need to go with the spacers that go between the upper triple clamp and the lower handlebar mount or something like the Rox Risers. The spacers that bolt on top of the existing pegs suck and most don't work even though they say they will...I tried them.

·
Registered
2019 G310GS, 2018 K1600GTL, 2010 R1200GS
4 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the Pivot Pegz especially for off road. Much easier to get a toe under the shifter while standing as well as be ready on that rear brake. They're nothing special on road, but in the dirt - essential gear for me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am thinking of getting the SW Motech ion footpegs for my G310R to buy more leg room. I have already installed handle bar risers for a more comfortable upper body position.
However as far as my lower body position is confirmed it feels slightly cramped specially on long rides.
So I was thinking of getting the pegs and fitting them in the lowered position thereby making the rider triangle angle less severe.
what do you guys suggest?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the Pivot Pegz especially for off road. Much easier to get a toe under the shifter while standing as well as be ready on that rear brake. They're nothing special on road, but in the dirt - essential gear for me.
Another vote for Pivot Pegz. I've had them on my bike since I got it. Very happy with them.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A warning AGAINST using the cast ‘clamp-on’ foot peg enlargers that you see advertised.
Yes they enlarge the size of your pegs. BUT because of their design, in the wet they are LETHAL!!!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I returned the SW-Motech to the dealer asking them to modify, but they refused to modify and gave me back the money.
They claimed that the problem was on my bike and not on their footpegs becasue other customers experienced no problems in mounting them

So, in the end, I mounted back the OEM ones
I tried also to replace the rubber of the OEM ones and fit the chinese enlargments, but the chinese elargements come without rubber and are very slippery enven when not wet

At the end I've decided to keep the OEM ones even because I go off road rarely and only in that occasions I have the need of larger footpegs

·
Registered
2018 BMW G310R, 2009 BMW R1200GS
51 Posts
Go on Aliexpress, they have all kinds of foot peg adaptors/enlargers. The only problem is delivery times, up to 2 months to Canada...

·
Registered
2018 BMW G310R, 2009 BMW R1200GS
51 Posts
And you are going to ride in Canada in the next 2 months ? Don't see a problem here.....:)
Well, some people live in more “temperature friendly “ places and like the Amazon Prime delivery times...🤗

·
Super Moderator
1,041 Posts
I'd be extra cautious with any critical items: e.g. foot pegs and levers, I'd rather spend extra and get quality products from a reputable brand than trust some unknown.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts