BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
I read lots of owners having issues with alternator and waterpump included myself. There must be something not right with the design or made or quality control in the plant. Why BMW seems relax and dont show any interest in maintaining confidence among the owners? Time to move to japanese bike my friends...... Sayonara BMW.
I still have hope for the gs. in the last visit, the service man that come to my place (I live far from the dealer), brought with him alternator and other spare parts in case that there was a problem. but he said that the newer models no longer have these issues. not sure if that is true.... still, no doubt, Japanese bikes are more reliable.

does anyone has issues with alternator and charging from the bikes produced at the end of 2018?

My first bikes were the old Royal Enfields, so I am used to things breaking down, and fixing them. you know there was old saying regarding the old British bikes, that if they don't leak oil, it means there is no oil in the engine:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Expected better of BMW

I've had my G310R for approximately 3 weeks and up until today I had no issues at all.
I don't ride everyday but when I do I like to cover quite a few miles. 2 days ago I had the bike out and covered about 90 miles with no problems, stopping and starting the engine a few times and no lights showing on the dash.
Today I went to use the bike with a round trip planned of 100 miles to visit my caravan in North Yorkshire. When I tried to start the bike the turn over was very sluggish and it appeared that the battery was flat or very close to it. I will contact BMW motorrad in the morning to hopefully get the problem sorted but after reading all the posts on this thread I am not expecting any miracles or permanent fixes.
This leaves me very disappointed with BMW as I have always thought of their machines as being of good quality from talking to owners and reading motorcycle magazines.
I'll let you know what the outcome is in due course.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm beginning to suspect I won't be keeping the GS for long, sell or Trade In within the warranty period.

I had Yamaha XSR700 before this, horrible cheap suspension. Bouncy castle at speed.

·
Registered
751 Posts
it is all strange. these should be simple fixes. correcting flaws in the alternator, or regulator, and perhaps the battery they provided is crap. i did have my battery failing in relatively new Tiger, so I just changed it. any basic company can produce a reliable alternator. all bikes are running on it after all. as I mentioned above, a simply test to verify if battery is actually charging is with multimeter.

·
Registered
183 Posts
is it the stator failing or the regulator/ rectifier that fails??
the stator would be engine specific, the regulator rectifier failing you could adapt a regulator rectifier from a different make and model bike.
first generation triumph tigers tend to have R&R issues and the popular fix is to use the R&R from a Yamaha R1.
I agree. If your bike all of a sudden can't start and your battery is completely dead and will never be revived again, it most likely the problem is with the regulator/rectifier. If the R/R is made in China, you can bet it will fail prematurely. If it is out of warranty, I would buy a quality R/R (even used from eBay) from the Japanese bikes as a replacement.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I agree. If your bike all of a sudden can't start and your battery is completely dead and will never be revived again, it most likely the problem is with the regulator/rectifier. If the R/R is made in China, you can bet it will fail prematurely. If it is out of warranty, I would buy a quality R/R (even used from eBay) from the Japanese bikes as a replacement.
do you know which regulator rectifier would work with our bike? there may or not be compatible.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ok, dealer has just confirmed that stator windings have failed. Warranty claim to cover the fix. Now waiting to hear how long it will take to get the parts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
May I please ask, was it the stator windings inside the alternator itself, so needing to replace the alternator or are they replacing the voltage regulator?
Thanks very much & good luck with your repair!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Finally got the bike back today. Five weeks of parts ordering, arriving and fitting.

They have replaced stator windings, rectifier/regulator and battery with new parts under warranty.

Now the battery reads:

12.8v with everything off
12.6v with ignition key on
14.4v with bike idling
14.7v with bike at 4500rpm

This is so much more normal behaviour of the charging system and battery.

While the bike was in shop, they have done the side stand recall as well. Great.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My alternator is being replaced on warranty in Saskatchewan, Canada. Issue started mid-April on my 2018 g310gs. I recharged the battery twice and then it died again within 20-30 kms. If I had been in traffic or driving at speed, it would have been dangerous.

Roadside Assistance warranty is outstanding in North America - 350 km trip each way from my home to the shop. I wish I never needed it, though!

An error made at the shop meant it was ordered after third week. Placed on back order two times. They received it last Friday at start of a long weekend. It is Thursday night a week later and still no news to confirm if it is done. Eight weeks in the shop so far. I have missed many riding opportunities and one planned trip.

Side-stand recall being done as well as cush drive replacement (5000 km). They did not mention a battery replacement. I asked about a goodwill gesture of compensation for time lost, but BMW Canada has not given it any consideration.

My first bike is my last BMW, for sure. I don't expect that a brand new model will be free of issues, but I don't trust this bike anymore. It was also twice as long as the repair should have taken, given the part itself took four weeks to arrive from BMW. As much as I enjoyed the bike in the past year, this experience has me looking at more bikes and more brands.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My bike is now repaired (over 8 weeks) but roadside assistance will not return it. They will return it for $1100! 350-400 km. So of course I'll go pick it up.

If anyone else has had a bike returned to them after warranty work, let me know. Similar situation precedence might help me convince them.

Between the two month repair and lack of concern for 'reuniting' me with my bike, BMW has taught me a valuable lesson: choose a bike with a closer dealership - and for me that means no more BMW.

·
Registered
132 Posts
well it appears it was my time, we were out for a wonderful ride and I noticed the turn signals started blinking fast, followed shortly by the speed and range display going blank, it was then that I noticed the very dim battery light and very dim abs light.
I am thinking "this can't be good" then the engine started stumbling and went dead. I had just put the K&N filter in and bobbed the snorkel so I had packed the GS-911 for the ride. I got it out and plugged it in and it showed battery voltage of just 8.8 volts.
I had also put a NOCO GB-40 lithium power pack in the trunk and hooked that up to put some charge back in the battery so it could be limped back to a town where I could wait in shaded comfort for recovery.

·
Registered
132 Posts
well the bike is still at the dealer, complete charging system failure, they got in the regulator but the combo sold only as a set stator/rotor is out of stock everywhere, there is rumored a allotment of rotor/stators will be coming to America end of the month, but no guaranty I will get one of those.
so in theory the parts might be in sometime after maybe the brake recall???? I don't know if I will see my bike before Christmas.

sooooooo, I went out and bought a 2019 Honda CB500X

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Sorry to hear it, BMW is clearly dropping the ball as far as parts supply is concerned. Perhaps understandable when a bike is newly released, but not at this stage. Maybe I should start thinking about trading mine in before the brakes, charging system, clutch, cooling system or something else fails. Earlier this week I noticed my brake light no longer works, so that is on this weekend's to-do list.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would say that if this is someone’s 1st BMW, the 310 might leave You with a bad impression. The bike is made in India by TVS and I think this has a lot to do with build quality and availability of parts. I bought my 310GS last year in May and put 2600miles on it before my stator failed. After 4months in the shop and no part in sight. BMW bought the bike back for every penny and gave me a great deal on a 750Gs and after seeing all the issues everyone is having, I would say get out while you can and get a BMW made in Germany. 9 months later on the 750GS and no issues.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Sorry to hear it, BMW is clearly dropping the ball as far as parts supply is concerned. Perhaps understandable when a bike is newly released, but not at this stage. Maybe I should start thinking about trading mine in before the brakes, charging system, clutch, cooling system or something else fails. Earlier this week I noticed my brake light no longer works, so that is on this weekend's to-do list.
well I would trade mine in except it is collecting dust at the BMW dealer. Did buy a 2019 Honda CB500X though!

·
Registered
751 Posts
I don't think the issues have much to do with the bike being made in India. TVS is making great bikes. I think that the issue is with BMW not designing the bike properly or not supplying the right parts... I so far have no issues, but the bike has not done many miles.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts