BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello ,

I have a BMW G310 R , i buy it in november 2019 and i'm about 2060 kilometer .

Now i get the problem of charge battery ... so the problem is still there 2020.

"I was stop few minute and when i will restart , nothing happen" , when i'm back home , i check voltage of battery , it was arround 10,30 Volt . i charged the battery and start the bike , the voltage tension was arround 12,40 Volt and it down with out charge . In normal fonction the voltage must be arround 14 V .

I contact BMW , i can get metting about 2 week but i will contact assistant for they come take bike at home .
The bike have only 6 Month and 2000 Kms , if is start like this what about bike in 2 years !? lol

Best Regards

·
Registered
102 Posts
After briefly reading through the posts here, it sounds like the voltage regulator is failing and overheating the stator windings. Am I correct?

If so, I think I may add a voltage display to my console to keep an eye on things. I'm planning another long trip and don't want to break down on the side of a remote mountain.

·
Registered
18 Posts
After briefly reading through the posts here, it sounds like the voltage regulator is failing and overheating the stator windings. Am I correct?

If so, I think I may add a voltage display to my console to keep an eye on things. I'm planning another long trip and don't want to break down on the side of a remote mountain.
Like this?
IMG_0700.JPG

·
Registered
83 Posts

A failing voltage regulator will not overheat the stator since the stator runs at full output anyway. Adding a voltmeter is a good idea but I would not start a long trip with a suspect voltage regulator.

·
Registered
102 Posts
A failing voltage regulator will not overheat the stator since the stator runs at full output anyway. Adding a voltmeter is a good idea but I would not start a long trip with a suspect voltage regulator.
How does the stator run at full output all the time? Isn't the whole point of a voltage regulator to control the field current, which in turn determines the stator voltage?

·
Registered
83 Posts
How does the stator run at full output all the time? Isn't the whole point of a voltage regulator to control the field current, which in turn determines the stator voltage?
I am assuming that the BMW310 is like the vast majority of bikes in that it has a simple alternator without field winding's, the ac output is fed to the rectifier/voltage regulator where any excess is shunted and turned into heat thus controlling the dc voltage.

·
Registered
18 Posts
@jUST kRUSEN thx for reply.
Can you show more about instal? not about elec but for put near panel? i like the finition.
Best Regards
Not much else to show. Took dash apart and cut a hole to fit meter with a dremel tool. Slip meter in and wire from back. I've had this meter on different bikes for about 18 years now. Terminals on back are screws.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Where did you wire the voltmeter in?
Is the voltmeter only on when the ignition on?

Chris
Meter is wired directly to the battery for the most accurate readings. But I did put a switch just below it so that I could turn it off when not riding. Switch is very hard to see in the picture. Other bikes I had it on full time with no problem.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts