BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,367 Posts
Just experienced BMW G310GS Bad Alternator myself last weekend Nov 14th 2020. My bike has 3400 km on it and I was about 50km from home when suddenly the engine died and stop in middle of no where. Had it towed to Motorrad workshop and I was told that the problem is at the alternator. It got burnt out. What make disappointed is that the warranty has expired a few months ago. What really piss me off is that it is a manufacturing defect and Not because of usage. I want to write a company to BMW Germany for selling a defective product to customers. And looking at the issues happened to this 310, it is manufacturing problem.
Need help on email of BMW Germany customer service. Thanks everyone.
Hi Sunu,

That's no good.

A word of advice, when writing a letter, write to BMW in your country, mention that you really like bmw bikes etc... then talk about how the alternator issue is a known issue for these bikes, ask nicely if they are able to cover your alternator. Mention the low kilometers on your bike!

You'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar. If you're nice about it, there is a higher chance that they will do something for you.

With a nice letter to Mercedes, I was able to get a problem on my car sorted, even though it was eight years old. The issue with my car was a recall issue in the US, but not a recall issue in Australia due to the low number of occurrences in Australia compared to the US.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Sunu,

That's no good.

A word of advice, when writing a letter, write to BMW in your country, mention that you really like bmw bikes etc... then talk about how the alternator issue is a known issue for these bikes, ask nicely if they are able to cover your alternator. Mention the low kilometers on your bike!

You'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar. If you're nice about it, there is a higher chance that they will do something for you.

With a nice letter to Mercedes, I was able to get a problem on my car sorted, even though it was eight years old. The issue with my car was a recall issue in the US, but not a recall issue in Australia due to the low number of occurrences in Australia compared to the US.
Hi Sunu,

That's no good.

Hi Port,
Got your point.
But when we bought a product from a good brand, we expect the product to be in a good quality also right. And expressions of complain also reflect under what circumstances when it happens. Imagine you ride alone, off road, raining and your motorcycle doesn't run.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello guys. I am planning to buy the newly launched g310r in India. But after reading the battery issues and the bike refusing to start in the middle of the road I am kind of thinking to go with Honda or Royal Enfield. If anyone from India here owns a 310gs or 310r can confirm if the battery issues are still there or been done with on the new 310r ? And also the nearest BMW motor service center is almost 100km away from my home. So if in case I purchase the 310r and it refused to start I will have to take the bike 100km to the service center. Even though the roadside assistance is available considering their track record of replacing/repairing the damaged part is worst. From what I have read it takes at least one month to get the bike back. Is it worth putting almost 3lakh rupees on this motorcycle ? All the suggestions are welcomed.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi Sunu,

That's no good.

There is no better way to address BMW than with this advice right here!

🙌 👌

·
Registered
1 Posts
As far as the dealer would tell me....

The alternator (or more probably generator) developed a fault that caused the battery to die deep discharge. Both were replaced using parts from an unsold bike, after waiting 2 weeks for parts to not arrive.

I had just done an 350 km intercity dash that went very well. Next morning, the state was unresponsive at first, then managed to start the motor.
Ambient Temp was in the the mid 20 degrees C ( around 70 F for you Anglo Americans still using that antique measuring system).

Since I had forgotten to turn the key off after lowering the stand while in gear, I assumed battery was low because of my negligence, and expected the generator would replenish the battery on the reverse trip.

Well, 100 km later, while arriving at a stop sign, the motor just died. I managed to restart once and, maybe 1 km later, it just died again.
After making basic trouble shooting (checking the fuses, and Batt connections, it was clear the batt was dying (....time to call roadside assistance and a tow back.

Funny thing was that on that exact day, on the other side of the continent, member Zente was having the exact same experience in California. With the same resolution, but 2 weeks earlier than me.

That's all I have to say about that (thank you Forrest Gump)

RobertB
Hi Robert B
My 2019 G310GS /Km. 16700, just did the same on my way home. Battery lamp, ABS lamp and engine lamp flashing. In a crossing I pull the clutch, and engine stops and my back wheel blocks ( road is slippery due to heavy rain). Get it in 2. gear and get the engine running- 200 meters later same thing, but can’t start again. Had to wait almost 2 1/2 hours on road assistance. Dealer is now waiting to get the generator from Germany.
I bought BMW 5 years total protection when I got my new GS, so no expenses. :) //SteenDK

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I just did my initial training on a G310r in the UK and absolutely loved the bike. I was planning on buying one, but reading about the start-up issues makes me question whether it would be wiser to go with the Honda CB300r.

I was planning on getting the 2021 model as they fixed a few issues on that one (e.g. the easy stalling). Does anyone know whether the start-up issues are fixed on the newer models or if they still suffer from the same issues?

Shame really as the bike is awesome, but don’t really fancy paying a premium price for reliability issues..

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
G310GS 2018
680 Posts
Hi,

I just did my initial training on a G310r in the UK and absolutely loved the bike. I was planning on buying one, but reading about the start-up issues makes me question whether it would be wiser to go with the Honda CB300r.

I was planning on getting the 2021 model as they fixed a few issues on that one (e.g. the easy stalling). Does anyone know whether the start-up issues are fixed on the newer models or if they still suffer from the same issues?

Shame really as the bike is awesome, but don’t really fancy paying a premium price for reliability issues..

Thanks a lot!
Not every G310R or G310GS has starting issues. My ym. 2018 G310GS starts fine, even in the cold.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Super to see mayhem of bat rays, alternators and starters seem to have lessened. Did rather seem like BMW stepped up, if slow. Funny how folks say “I’m gonna get a Honda now”. Lots of Hondas are made in China Rather than Japan. They have issues too. Biggest thing is that a manufacturer takes care of issues, problems get solved. Any maker has to expect glitches in a new product, thankfully modern assembly allows for correction. Avoid first iterations if you can.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yay, it's my turn to have the infamous alternator failure !

On a beautiful day, I suddenly got the Battery and ABS lights on the dash. 1-2 minutes later, no current speed and gear on the dash, power cuts, and finally engine cuts off and won't start again (starter won't engage)
No tools to diagnose with me at the time, but I am 100% sure it's the charging circuit, so it could definitely be the dreaded alternator failure...
The bike is 3 years old (one month out of warranty, yay), and at ~12.000 km. It was towed to the BMW store where I bought it.
Next steps are diagnostics, estimation of cost of repairs. They already told me (without me asking, which is nice) that they will probably make a gesture on the price, as it is not acceptable to have such a failure on a 3-year old bike.
Let's see what they can do. If it is not enough, I might also ask BMW Motorrad France if they can take part of the cost.

Sky Cloud Motor vehicle Tree Vehicle

·
Registered
442 Posts
OK ... I've now joined this exclusive "failed generator/rectifier/battery" group.!!!
Mine is a 2017 bike and thought that I had managed to get one that was OK - well no.
It gave up going half way up Snaefell on the Isle of Man [ very picturesque ...very inconvenient...]

I'd like to sort it myself - Any Advice or Tips welcome .. Regards . Jon.

·
Registered
54 Posts
OK ... I've now joined this exclusive "failed generator/rectifier/battery" group.!!!
Mine is a 2017 bike and thought that I had managed to get one that was OK - well no.
It gave up going half way up Snaefell on the Isle of Man [ very picturesque ...very inconvenient...]

I'd like to sort it myself - Any Advice or Tips welcome .. Regards . Jon.
This is what went into my 2018, about 3 months ago. It was done by a dealer. I checked the pat numbers and they are correct.
Font Number Rectangle Parallel Screenshot

You might need a tool to remove the stator as well:
Gasket- 11138-562-768 12418566411
Stator&Flywheel combo- 12311-540-516
Gear set- 12418-566-411
removal tool 83 30 2 420 081

I've a question, did it happen off road? maybe while the bike was dropped?

·
Registered
750 Posts
First step sort out what’s failed. Bat ray? Charging system? Or both.
can’t diagnose charging system without a functional bat ray. What would be super is if it’s just an aged out bat ray. Fixed with a new one, I’d go lithium myself.

·
Registered
442 Posts
thanks for these input ideas.
I've popped off the engine case that reveals the new style flywheel.
That must have been swapped by the dealer some years ago.
I have 2 good batteries [ 1x lead + 1 x lithium]
Next I will be doing individual tests on the stator / generator and then the rec/reg.
It looks as though one of those is the culprit as when running the voltage is ~11 volts .!
I'll be using this as my troubleshooting guide.

·
Registered
54 Posts
thanks for these input ideas.
I've popped off the engine case that reveals the new style flywheel.
That must have been swapped by the dealer some years ago.
You're saying that the potential broken stator is the 'new style' one.
This is a bit worrying, since the 'new style' is taking casualties as well as the badly designed one (old) ;- (.

61 - 80 of 88 Posts