BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
It gave up going half way up Snaefell on the Isle of Man [ very picturesque ...very inconvenient...]
:censored:
Hopefully they can make it work with just repairs !

I had news on mine : a rollercoaster of emotions today. Got a call from the shop telling me that the charging circuit was fine, and it was just the battery that had an internal short-circuit.
So I go get it back (200€ for a battery change, nice), and ride home with no issues ! I'm happy because until now I was riding my 125 to work and riding the GS again felt nice.
I get home, cut the engine, then go try to start it again... starter is very weak and engine does not start :censored:
I start by letting the bike downhill, then go to check the battery voltage with the engine turning, hoping to see a nice healthy 14V.... I read 10V, and revving the engine to 5k does not do any change.

GREAT

I will call them tomorrow, see that they say. Charge the battery, and bring back the bike to them while hopping for the best ? Maybe I will take my 125's battery in a backpack with me lol

·
Registered
750 Posts
GoMYW in the the Stone Age smart people rewound stators so repair could be viable. And have a better product than before. I’ll cross my fIngres.

Reactions: G0MYW

·
Registered
8 Posts
Got the bike back yesterday. They changed the alternator. I asked the tech if it was an upgraded version, but he told me it's the exact same one, and that it might fail again in a few years....
At least BMW took 100% of the cost, I just had to pay for the 1st battery change, but the alternator change was free of charge, even though I was out of warranty.
I read here that some people changed their regulator to another type that is less demanding on the alternator. Maybe I will check that out

·
Registered
750 Posts
Awesome BMW took care of you, as they should. You’d have examine your alternators output to determine if an alternate regulator would help you. BMW has taken stance that 14.9 volts is acceptable. Common logic says this is too high for long lived batteries. Though the exception is lithium batteries which indeed prefer more than the common acceptance of 14.4 volts charge. You may do yourself more of a favor swapping to lithium bat ray over the series type regulator. Highly advised to install a battery monitor app thing on phone.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Very sweet it was repairable! Did they offer comment? Like “bad insulation” or improper installation? Sure would be a spot to go if out of warranty and have issues rather than just replacing the stator. Might even be smart preventative maintenance to inspect your stator on an older unit.
just awesome you had the chutzpah to follow up GOMYW!!! $10 and your time. Most would have spent much much more.

81 - 88 of 88 Posts