BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Was reading this forum for a couple of weeks before buying the g310r (blue) as my first bike.

I have had it for about 5 days now, but only took it out this morning as I only have the 2 hours licensing course under my belt. And with Christmas and public holidays here, there are some maniacs around.

My flaw is I am not afraid of the bike. I am not afraid of riding. I am just afraid of looking like an idiot. Always been a big thing for me, even as a tourist in other countries I avoid taking photos. In NZ motorcyclists are actually few and far between so its not ideal for my paranoia.

Anyway. As some people will be like me, wondering if they should buy the bike as their first bike, here is my experience of the first whopping 7.9km I have done...

Im 183cm, and 10% over 100kg. Not a small guy. The bike is big enough and comfortable enough for me. Tick. Even though nothing is broken in, the clutch is very good if you have large hands like mine (i wear size L gloves). Friction point is in a very comfortable position. Gear shifter really needs some reinforced riding shoes as at the moment its really stiff and if you are NOT like me and ride for more than 10 minutes you may find your foot getting bruised.

Overall even though its more than twice the CC as the suzuki 125 i trained on, it doesnt feel like it. Not in a bad way. Its just that its still easy to take off and stop. Two of the most important learner requirements I guess. First ride on the street ever, and i stalled twice in the driveway (trying not to wake up my hungover neighbours) but once on the road, easy sailing.

Will keep you all updated on further review and experiences, and hopefully some of you have advice for me on how to not care about the possibility of making a mistake and looking like an idiot.

Cheers!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hi guys. Was reading this forum for a couple of weeks before buying the g310r (blue) as my first bike.
I have had it for about 5 days now, but only took it out this morning as I only have the 2 hours licensing course under my belt. And with Christmas and public holidays here, there are some maniacs around.
Welcome and well done on getting a G310 - you've got yourself a great bike for learning, but it'll be a lot more than that for you.

There are always plenty of loonies around on the roads, but the holiday period is definitely a time to be extra careful, so do watch out for yourself.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks NZWestie. My plan is to get up to speed and do the bronze course when I am ready. Been driving for 12 years and always drive defensively (I am never in a hurry to be that one car in front and refuse the a guy a zip merge), so that will be my plan for motorcycling. However its obviously a completely different skill. But at least the mindset is there.

I am a westie too. (Auckland westie)

·
Registered
917 Posts
Hi mojocrunch,
Welkome to this forum.
And
Don’t worry about feeling or looking like an idiot, don’t we all ;-)
When I started riding motorcycles, somewhere in the seventies, I avoided roads were you could drive faster then 100 km/hr.
I wasn’t used to these speeds and I needed the time to get used to the speed, traffic and different circumstances.
Nowadays I’m used to higher speed and still ride normal (keeping my speed to the speed limit - +/- 10% )

The most important issue in riding is always look as far forward as you can.
In this way you can anticipate on what is or can happen.
Most car drivers are not aware that there are also motorcycles on the road and do not see you in their mirrors.
The only good car drivers are the ones that ride a motorcycle too.
Also try to anticipate on what CAN happen. It’s a psychological training in keeping yourself save.
‘Always’ think, ‘if this will happen, what can I do or what is my escape route.
This helps you to survive.

I don’t know were you live in NZ but most roads we traveled on are almost deserted (South Island)
The roads around the cities have more traffic but still, in my opinion, quite relaxed.
In our country and the countries around us, traffic is quite busy and traffic jams are more common then driving traffic.

So, be safe out there and ...... ENJOY

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bas310 thanks for advice.

Almost all highway roads in NZ are as you described. Pretty lucky that way.

I am not sure where you live, but one of the reasons I decided to learn after thinking about it for 10 years was because my second family (not real family but once you visit an Indian family they soon become like your real one) lives in India up in J&K. My long term goal is to ride with them one day instead of being a pillion and having the opportunity to show them around New Zealand on a bike.

I think you are right about the good drivers being motorcyclists. There are always exceptions of course. But i do see some cars move over to make extra room for a rider and presume he is one himself.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I reside in the friendly suburb of Ranui at the moment. Would love to start riding out to the beaches when I am more comfortable with traffic.

If you havent already, i have driven down Huia Road area in the car a few times. Feels lile that area is Aucklands version of Akaroa.

·
Registered
469 Posts
My flaw is I am not afraid of the bike. I am not afraid of riding. I am just afraid of looking like an idiot. Always been a big thing for me, even as a tourist in other countries I avoid taking photos. In NZ motorcyclists are actually few and far between so its not ideal for my paranoia.
hopefully some of you have advice for me on how to not care about the possibility of making a mistake and looking like an idiot.
Cheers!
Hey relax. Your just riding a motorized bike. Everyone makes mistakes were humans.
Worry not about others, just enjoy. Find the most direct routes to quiet and serene roads
and let yourself experience the serenity of solo riding. You need to build your confidence
in the right environment and usually city driving is not the place.
Cheers!

·
Registered
917 Posts
Mojocrunch,
Go out and Ride.
Get used to the bike and riding it
Build up your confidence and you will see riding the bike becomes a second nature.

From that moment on you start really to enjoy riding a motorcycle and with your build up experience you van ‘survive’

Take care and good luck.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. At the moment its only downshifting thats bugging me. It will come with a few solid hours practice over the next couple weeks.

If i have nobody pushing me i find it hard. So i will set myself a distance goal for the end of next month and i will push myself. Ill start small. I reckon 400km sounds reasonable.

·
Registered
917 Posts
If downshifting is a problem ............ check the tension of your chain (see your manual)
If it is to tight, you will / can have shifting problems.

But ................. if your mileage is quite low, make miles and shifting will become better.

Pushing ................ who needs pushing if you have a great bike and beautiful roads (and good weather).
My wife would not see me for days riding the beamer from A to B, C, D etc etc.

Just get dressed and go out for the rides (of your live)
Don't wake up in the morning, moaning about the things you haven't done yesterday (riding the beamer).
I'm expecting some beautiful pictures from your bike and your country in the upcoming days and let me guess were you went to.

Good luck.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After yesterdays round the block drive my bike only has 18km. So its got a long way to go before being broken in.

I can downshift well enough but its not the correct technique. When i roll off the throttle the bike slows down dramatically. While that wouldnt ordinarily be a problem, i have no mastered using only a couple of fingers on the brake, which leads me to coast while downshifting as i apply brakes, downshift, then let go of the breaks to give it some throttle to complete the shift.

I appreciate all your advice, as i know this isnt a help board, but you have helped regardless.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I can downshift well enough but its not the correct technique. When i roll off the throttle the bike slows down dramatically. While that wouldnt ordinarily be a problem, i have no mastered using only a couple of fingers on the brake, which leads me to coast while downshifting as i apply brakes, downshift, then let go of the breaks to give it some throttle to complete the shift.
That kind of sounds like you're practising downshifts at pretty low speeds in the lower gears. If so, low speed throttle control requires really gentle wrist action to roll on /off small amounts - it's tricky but you'll get it with practise.

You're only 10 minutes from my neck of the woods, I'd be happy to come and meet you, take you off to some roads to practise stuff if you want.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That kind of sounds like you're practising downshifts at pretty low speeds in the lower gears. If so, low speed throttle control requires really gentle wrist action to roll on /off small amounts - it's tricky but you'll get it with practise.

You're only 10 minutes from my neck of the woods, I'd be happy to come and meet you, take you off to some roads to practise stuff if you want.
I am downshifting at pretty low speeds. Trying to find the right speeds for turns. At the moment i keep it in third while going 50km rpm at about 4500. Then i drop to 2nd before the turn, thats when i try to use the brake, but in 2nd i dont have good enough throttle control to use the brake lever so i just use the engine braking (which in second as you pointed out is pretty touchy) and rear break, make the turn and go back up to third.

For right hand turns/turning onto a street and round abouts i will drop to 2nd, then drop to first as i almost come to a stop. That situation i can tell i will get better with practice. Its just the turning OFF the main roads that has me grasping for the controls wondering how to best do it.

I really appreciate your offer too. Ill keep practicing to get the basics down and then hopefully you are still around on the forum when i am ready.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just a quick thank you to all the encouragement. It took 4 days just to get onto the road after getting the bike. Shaking a leg over feeling ridiculous in my motorcycle gear. Im 30 years old, supervisor in a rough and tumble logistics department, and its the first time in years since i felt inadequite.

I have spent a long time reading other forums that tell people to go to empty car parks until you are ready for the road... but that was never an option for me as 1, no carpark is empty during the legal times (shopping malls, markets etc) and the ones that are empty (private businesses on weekends etc) have locked gates.

I am definitely glad to be learning on a g310 as it seems to attract people who want to be a part of a community, rather than people who think they are the best in their community.

To sum it up, todays ride was much better. While short at 8.5km, i made a route that had 19 side street corners (mix of left and right), 3 roundabouts, 2 u-turns and 6 speed bumps. And then instead of ducking back into my driveway i went for another lap. My downshifting was better, even somehow on some corners able to brake, downshift and blip (even at my level the slight rev matching makes a HUGE difference. Thank you Tactical. Even though i have read a lot of 'blipping' i figured id just use the slower clutch release. As they say, i did a few perfectly which sounded satisfying, until i pressed the horn instead of indicator... twice...)

The moral of my story here is that i am almost at a level i thought i would be as a car driving motorcycle learner. Awkward and clunky.

I will stop posting my progress on this thread as it will keep knocking other peoples posts down, but if anybody is interested in my future experiences, please keep in touch and ill continue to lurk this forum.

·
Registered
340 Posts
The one good thing about this forum is the majority of members are older and will actually give you advice and encouragement instead of criticism and sarcasm. The G 310 isn't my first bike I bought a new G SX-R 600 in 2004 and had it a month before I laid it down in rocks at the edge of a corner and almost had to have my left leg amputated. It took me a while to be comfortable riding again. I stalled the G 310 5 times before I left the parking lot of the dealer. Don't feel stupid or embarrassed especially about wearing protective gear. You'll be glad you're wearing it if you ever go down. Just like carrying my pistol all the time. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I love riding this bike so much I even rode to work this morning and its 35F. Have fun and ride often. You'll gain confidence and enjoy riding the more you do it. I watched a lot of videos on YouTube when I started riding again and found most to be helpful. Ask as many questions as you like, and post when you want to share your experiences. I love reading new threads on here.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sounds like you are approaching things very responsibly so I think you’ll be good to go and don’t worry about looking like a newbie. Always dress for the fall and not the beach. You may find these basic methods helpful in conjunction with what you’ve already learned;
*Separate your inputs; A-B-C
1:Accelerate, then...
2:Brake, in a straight line (I only use front brakes) then...
3:Corner...repeat
*Eyes, Eyes , Eyes!!! Look where you aim to go! If you don’t like where you are going, look somewhere else.
*B-L-T, Brake, Look then Turn
*Seat time, Seat time, Seat time! No substatute for seat time!

·
Registered
917 Posts
Mojocrunch,
I agree on what tactical_r3dn3ck and scg310r do advice.
Keep us updated and ask ask ask.
Get out and ride and be careful and keep your eyes on the road (watch were you want to go to)
Good luck.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts