BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I am thinking about taking my seat to an upholsterer and getting it shaved and lowered a bit. (G310GS)
I know a few of you have the lower seat and said it does not really make a difference. I read that it only lowers the seat by 15mm, but it says it also reduces the inner leg curve by an inch..

The seat is so expensive, that I was thinking to just let someone mod my seat to be the same or even better. The problem I see with the stock seat, is that the plastic frame for the seat is quite wide at the front where the leg curve is.(if that makes sense) Why they made it like that, I don't know.

Do you think the plastic could also be shaved away a bit there to make the actual seat shape a bit narrower so that it actually is more streamline?

Your ideas here would be invaluable!:nerd:

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
955 Posts
I'd try the dealer first, tell them that you want to buy a lower seat, but want to try it first. They should be able to get one into stock for you to try and then you can decide whether it's worthwhile buying the lower seat or getting your seat modified.

Have a look on the forum, I think there may be a user selling a low seat if you're based in the US.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I asked them... Doesn't seem like they want to order a seat just for me to try :(

One of the people there suggested I get the seat modified as it would be cheaper and I can shape it to my bum.

I am in Namibia.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Has anyone on here shaved their seat? If so...did you lose the spot towards the back before the arch that is flat and quite comfy?
What I am basically asking is how much did you take away?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm about to shave the seat. I will be using these tools.
You also need a staple gun or a mechanical one. It doesn't look hard.
There are plenty of youtube videos on how to do this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00002X1ZH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072WQ9CSX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I am going to the upholsterer today. He said he will have a look. I just wonder how much one can remove before you impact the comfort.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm about to shave the seat. I will be using these tools.
You also need a staple gun or a mechanical one. It doesn't look hard.
There are plenty of youtube videos on how to do this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00002X1ZH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072WQ9CSX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Maybe you could also post a few pics as you progress? It might be quite handy for anyone else thats wants to DIY?

·
Registered
751 Posts
original seat is good enough, if it is too high, you got a wrong bike. putting the rear shocker on the lowest setting may help

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
original seat is good enough, if it is too high, you got a wrong bike. putting the rear shocker on the lowest setting may help
Kris, I am 5ft4. Not the tallest, 29" inseam. There are not many adventure style small CC bikes that will work for someone my height. Nevermind proper support, etc. I am trying to find a solution that would work for me as I really love the bike.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Kris, I am 5ft4. Not the tallest, 29" inseam. There are not many adventure style small CC bikes that will work for someone my height. Nevermind proper support, etc. I am trying to find a solution that would work for me as I really love the bike.
is your rear shock on the lowest setting? this might help.

i am not that tall myself. with some of my adventure bikes i can just touch the ground with the tip toes. it is about being careful how to control the bike. and in case that this does not work for you, you can fit a lower rear shock. i believe that hypepro offers this option and RR too:

http://www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk/bmw-g310gs-g310r/G310gs-tractive-suspension-low-shock-seat. there are also some other lowering kits.

this one allows to lower the bike up to 35mm.

if you cut the seat too much, i am afraid it may become too hard...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
is your rear shock on the lowest setting? this might help.

i am not that tall myself. with some of my adventure bikes i can just touch the ground with the tip toes. it is about being careful how to control the bike. and in case that this does not work for you, you can fit a lower rear shock. i believe that hypepro offers this option and RR too:

G310GS Tractive Rear Shock(Low)-RRP 837. there are also some other lowering kits.

this one allows to lower the bike up to 35mm.

if you cut the seat too much, i am afraid it may become too hard...
Yeah, I Think the shaving option might not be too fun on long rides... Rear preload set to minimum as well. I weigh too little :laugh:
What do you guys think about these kind of lowering links. This one is a bit extreme. 25mm might be okay fro me.

https://www.metisse.de/lowering-kit-bmw-g-310-gs.html

·
Registered
751 Posts
Yeah, I Think the shaving option might not be too fun on long rides... Rear preload set to minimum as well. I weigh too little :laugh:
What do you guys think about these kind of lowering links. This one is a bit extreme. 25mm might be okay fro me.

https://www.metisse.de/lowering-kit-bmw-g-310-gs.html
you might be ok with 40mm, as long as you put higher spring preload on the rear shock. with highest preload you will probably lift the bike by 10mm? ps. contrary to what people think, spring preload does not affect softness of suspension.

if you want to invest more, Tractive shock low is much better than OEM and gives you damping control. G310GS Tractive Rear Shock(Low)-RRP 837. this one allows you to control how much you want to lower the bike - up to 30mm.

with Hyperpro you can get lowering kit that includes 2 front fork springs (will be much firmer in the front than oem). a good deal in my opinion. https://www.bike-design.com/en-gb/product/134217/progressive-lowering-kit-front-rear-35mm-lower

or their cheaper option, only the lowering kit for the rear by 35mm: https://store.suspensionshop.org/rllk-bm17-g310-35-g-310-gs-lk-35-mm-lower-hyperpro-rear-linkage-lowering-kit.html

with that you might want to lower the front (but lifting the front forks on the triple tree) as well to keep the bike's ergonomics.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you might be ok with 40mm, as long as you put higher spring preload on the rear shock. with highest preload you will probably lift the bike by 10mm? ps. contrary to what people think, spring preload does not affect softness of suspension.

if you want to invest more, Tractive shock low is much better than OEM and gives you damping control. G310GS Tractive Rear Shock(Low)-RRP 837. this one allows you to control how much you want to lower the bike - up to 30mm.

with Hyperpro you can get lowering kit that includes 2 front fork springs (will be much firmer in the front than oem). a good deal in my opinion. https://www.bike-design.com/en-gb/product/134217/progressive-lowering-kit-front-rear-35mm-lower

or their cheaper option, only the lowering kit for the rear by 35mm: https://store.suspensionshop.org/rllk-bm17-g310-35-g-310-gs-lk-35-mm-lower-hyperpro-rear-linkage-lowering-kit.html

with that you might want to lower the front (but lifting the front forks on the triple tree) as well to keep the bike's ergonomics.
Thank you for the info! Do you know if the adjustment of the triple clamps will have a major effect on the handling?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Number 1 the bike should come with the low seat as standard. It won't hinder a taller rider as much as it will hinder a shorter one. The whole point is that it is supposed to be an entry level bike, hence the lower seat. Kawasaki did not have a problem getting a lower seat height.
I am 5'6" and I can't get on or off bike without the kickstand down and using the footpeg namely as the rear of the bike is decently higher. I also have a short inseam.

But make sure rear shock is at its most loose setting. For the cost of a seat you can get a adjustable shock (just remember you have to lower the fork if you lower the shock)

Reactions: ArchAngel

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Number 1 the bike should come with the low seat as standard. It won't hinder a taller rider as much as it will hinder a shorter one. The whole point is that it is supposed to be an entry level bike, hence the lower seat. Kawasaki did not have a problem getting a lower seat height.
I am 5'6" and I can't get on or off bike without the kickstand down and using the footpeg namely as the rear of the bike is decently higher. I also have a short inseam.

But make sure rear shock is at its most loose setting. For the cost of a seat you can get a adjustable shock (just remember you have to lower the fork if you lower the shock)
Thanks, I have set the preload to the minimum.. My inseam is 29" and I am 5'4". I am not too fond of the whole suspension lowering thing.

Like I said before, maybe the 15 to 20mm I need, could be achieved with the low seat... The rally raid shock would cost double the seat cost to get here. Just did the math :'(

It's such a bummer that these bikes are so high...or at least for the vertically challenged...

·
Registered
751 Posts
Thanks, I have set the preload to the minimum.. My inseam is 29" and I am 5'4". I am not too fond of the whole suspension lowering thing.

Like I said before, maybe the 15 to 20mm I need, could be achieved with the low seat... The rally raid shock would cost double the seat cost to get here. Just did the math :'(

It's such a bummer that these bikes are so high...or at least for the vertically challenged...
so why don't you get the lowering kit? it is not that expensive. it is true that RR shock costs more than lower seat, but you get an excellent shock, instead of a harder seat.

if you opt for getting the lower seat, you might want to go with your original idea - cut some of the foam and stitch it back with stapler gun. it is like 30min job.

lowering the front after lowering the rear is not a must, just something often recommended. i personally like to have the front higher in some of my bikes. for instance, i achieve it by playing with the front vs rear spring preload - harder preload in the front lifts it higher; or just by lowering the front forks in the triple clamp (I saw an article of someone doing it to gs, and it did the same - just a couple of mm showing). in sport type riding you would want to have the front lower; in touring, by lifting the front you get more of a cruiser feel.

by the way, from my knowledge in Versys 300 Kawasaki managed to make the bike lower, not due to a lower seat, but by sacrificing the suspension travel.

·
Registered
751 Posts

I just checked, Versys 300 has 50mm lower suspension travel; no wonder that it is lower.

i would disagree that g310gs is an entry level bike. entry, as one is supposed to get 1200 next? i have big bikes, so does it mean that I am regressing by getting a smaller one? it is not an entry level bike, (as many other than me pointed out) but just a bike with lower displacement, which is cheaper, lighter, nicer and safer to ride, more economical, easier to control, etc. i believe that smaller cc bikes are the future.

if anything, I would consider small scooters 'entry' level, or scooters in general even though some of them are quite powerful these day. I just personally do not consider them real bikes.

by the way, i think with all the bikes you are supposed to put the sidestand down before getting off the bike. it is just safer. especially with a heavy bike - it can fall on you. i do it even with Vulcan S, which is very low. additionally, it is much more convenient and easier to reach the sidestand with your left foot/heel when you are still seated on the bike; otherwise, you are standing on the left side of the bike while holding the handlebars so the bike does not fall on you while looking for that thing to pull it down while balancing yourself on one leg :)

·
Super Moderator
955 Posts
Yeah, I have a problem with the tag 'entry level bike', the 310 is a great low displacement bike that meets the requirements for beginner motorcyclists in many countries, but it's much more than that as Kris said. I also don't think beginner motorcyclists get taller as they get more advanced, when you begin your motorcycle training in most countries, you'll have grown as much as you're going to grow (at least in height).

I really think that BMW should provide the different seats as an option at point of sale, so that you don't have to buy an additional seat.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Yeah, I have a problem with the tag 'entry level bike', the 310 is a great low displacement bike that meets the requirements for beginner motorcyclists in many countries, but it's much more than that as Kris said. I also don't think beginner motorcyclists get taller as they get more advanced, when you begin your motorcycle training in most countries, you'll have grown as much as you're going to grow (at least in height).

I really think that BMW should provide the different seats as an option at point of sale, so that you don't have to buy an additional seat.
this is what Kawasaki cleverly provided in their Vucan S - two type of seats (one with forwards position and one with backwards position for taller riders). two types of handlebars (short and long reach), and even long and short reach gear and rear brake levers to suite people of different hight. in some countries, like USA one could choose from these option at the point of buying the bike. unfortunately, where I bought it, in Thailand, I did not have this option, so I had to buy the parts separately.

the low seat for gs is like 400 usd. it makes more sense to get the lowering kit, or RR low shock does not costs that much more if one wants to make an investment ( though in both options one sacrifices suspension travel). The reason why bmw does not provide low seat option at the time of purchase is obvious - to make money of customers. same as not providing usb charger while having already fitted the bike with wiring for it, etc. a common strategy for bike manufactures. same with Versys 1000 - i had to buy usb charger and gear indicator separately.

·
Registered
23 Posts
So my wife is only 5' tall with a 28" inseam and while she has done some pretty gnarly trail rides on her bike she did end up deciding to lower it in the end. We tried to get as much drop out of the seat as possible (more on that in a second) and we ended up buying the Rally Raid shock so we could adjust how much the bike is lowered - 35mm is a lot of drop for a bike that gets ridden off road. However, something that made a huge difference was looking at what we could do to the bike to allow the rider to have a narrower stance when standing over the bike. We found that by removing the passenger footpeg mounts it actually got much easier to reach the ground, although doing that required switching to an aftermarket exhaust to make that possible.

Now, to answer the original question: We had Renazco modify the seat for my wife's bike - this is what they did:
* Shave the seat lower - almost all the way down to zero and then added a piece of firmer foam so there was still some cushion
* Cut the seat pan narrower so it doesn't cut into the inside of your thigh when you're standing over the bike
* Shave the pillion seat all the way down to zero
* Cut down the step between the rider and pillion seat so it's a smoother transition
* Make a fancy cover for it so it looks awesome.

Here's some pics:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts