BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another victim of a failed stator here. Was cruising at around 40km/h an hour when the console started flashing and everything just died. Managed to get another battery which got me home, but a visit to BMW confirmed the stator and generator had pegged. It was 14 days out of warranty, but BMW were epic and replaced everything on the house. Got the brake caliper recall replacement at the same time. It's really frustrating, as I've hit all the classic issues: Starter Clutch, Water Pump and now the stator. F800 calling...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yeah the stator failed on my GS too. Fortunatley I wasn't too far from the shop at the time and they came out and picked up the bike. They replaced the stator with the new design and replaced the battery under warranty. Glad yours got fixed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Me too, just had the water pump replaced - with a resulting complaint and repair of the radiator hose which was damaged in the process, and brake calipers replaced under recall, when at just 7000kms the stator failed.
100kph on the freeway, but I managed to coast to an exit and with the help of a friend and a spare battery wired in, I managed to get home. All fixed under warranty, I like the bike, but not impressed with the quality control.
I still have 1 year of warranty left and my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The service manager at my shop said the stator was "burned up". I keep my bike on a Battery Tender so that battery is always topped up. I suppose there is a reason the old design has been superseded by the new design.

·
Registered
37 Posts
So when the new stator style is installed, they also put in the new starter clutch configuration. Has anybody been having any issues with the New style starter clutch? Mine doesn't engage consistently, especially on the first start of the day when the engine is cold. ie it slips.

·
Registered
49 Posts
So when the new stator style is installed, they also put in the new starter clutch configuration. Has anybody been having any issues with the New style starter clutch? Mine doesn't engage consistently, especially on the first start of the day when the engine is cold. ie it slips.
Yes I've seen that myself. It doesn't happen too often. My dealer said they will take a look at it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ciao,
prima di tutto mi scuso per il mio inglese ma sto usando google translate.
Anche la mia moto si è fermata per via dello statore, solo 9000km, sostituito in garanzia pochi giorni fa, ho notato subito il motore più silenzioso e meno vibrazioni, è successo anche a voi?
Forse potrebbe essere solo a causa delle temperature che sono scese molto nelle ultime settimane.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ciao,
prima di tutto mi scuso per il mio inglese ma sto usando google translate.
Anche la mia moto si è fermata per via dello statore, solo 9000km, sostituito in garanzia pochi giorni fa, ho notato subito il motore più silenzioso e meno vibrazioni, è successo anche a voi?
Forse potrebbe essere solo a causa delle temperature che sono scese molto nelle ultime settimane.
I hadn't noticed much difference myself as far as noise or vibration is concerned. I still have the start issue on occasion but it seems to be improving. I used Google Translate to reply so I hope it's ok. Take care.

Non avevo notato molta differenza per quanto riguarda il rumore o le vibrazioni. Ho ancora il problema di avvio in alcune occasioni, ma sembra migliorare. Ho usato Google Translate per rispondere, quindi spero che sia ok. Buona giornata.

·
Registered
2019 G310GS
33 Posts
Would be nice if You that have had stator failures would LIST THE YEAR of your bike in the post. I often wonder if it is mainly just one particular year? I have a 2019, never use a battery tender, never had a problem.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Would be nice if You that have had stator failures would LIST THE YEAR of your bike in the post. I often wonder if it is mainly just one particular year? I have a 2019, never use a battery tender, never had a problem.
2019 G310GS 9000 miles currently. The stator failed at 6700 miles.

·
Registered
91 Posts
By looking at realoem.com/bmw it seems that the a new stator design has replaced the previous one starting from April 2019.
So in theory there should be no stator failures on bikes produced starting from April 2019.
In this respect, one should consider the month/year of construction (that can be derived by the 7 digits of the VIN) and not the year of purchase of the bike

·
Registered
38 Posts
So in theory there should be no stator failures on bikes produced starting from April 2019.
Well, fingers crossed and we can check this theory moving forward. My build date 4/11/2019. No problems yet but will report if future issues arise.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts