BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my bike for a month now, and as I get more familiar with it I am also slowly pushing its boundaries to learn it better.

Today I experimented with its stopping distance. On a nice paved road with no one around, hitting the brakes hard to better learn what the stopping distances are. Boy o boy, I love the anti lock brakes! They were a plus for me in buying it. Something that I liked having, but hoped to never really put to the test. Today it was very fun to learn exactly how much brake I could grab, and how the system felt when it kicked in.

Has anyone else done the same yet?

I live in an area where maybe 10-15% of my riding is on unpaved roads. I have yet to experiment with the ABS on unpaved roads. Something nags at the back of my mind saying to be more careful where I know there is less traction. Has anyone experimented with the ABS on unpaved roads? Is there anything to be especially wary about, or should I jump right in and continue learning the bike's boundaries?

·
Registered
243 Posts
On pavement, I've slammed the brakes at up to 100 kph (65mph). On Gravel, I've gotten to around 50 kph.
In fact reacquainting myself with the ABS is an important part of my spring warmup, along with slow speed full lock circles and counter-steer manoeuvres at higher speeds.

With 5 to 6 months cold to freezing months up here in Quebec, it's important to force the the correct' instinctive reactions' back online.

With the R, with no deactivate ABS button, some hills while on trails can be hair raising! DAMHIK.

·
Super Moderator
1,099 Posts
The ABS kicks in most days when I race up my driveway (relatively slowly) and slam on the brakes (on grass). This gives me a good idea of how the brakes would behave on less than ideal surfaces.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With the R, with no deactivate ABS button, some hills while on trails can be hair raising! DAMHIK.
Is there anything that makes the hills more hair raising because of the ABS? Do you find that your stopping distances increase because of it, when you are on steep trails?

·
Registered
243 Posts
On a rocky / slippery surface, the ABS just keeps on chattering, not much time for braking. You can't lock the wheel to slow down.
That's why the GS has the ABS disable switch on the right control pod.

But remember, this is using a road bike in a trail environment, in the more extreme parts. On normal gravel roads I have no issue with ABS.
If I was more into off-roading, I'd get a GS. Then again, if I was taller than my 5'4" I would probably already have one.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yes and yes...But it's true that coming from off roading on bicycles, it's not my instinctive reaction.
Does not change the fact that in certain particular conditions ABS reduces brake effectiveness.
Most times it's great, sometimes, I wish I could turn it off.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Been there, done that. Some years ago I was riding my R1150GS (with ABS) on a dirt road. I came to fast to an intersection and attached the brakes. I think you can imagine my sense of panic when the expected retardation did not happen. As I ran over the crossing I was happy there was no crossing traffic. On the R1150GS the ABS always went on when ignition had been turned off and had to be deactivated by stopping and pressing a button for 6 seconds. Very anoying :mad: After previous stop I had forgotten to re-deactivate the ABS. After that incident I started to training use engine braking as a routine. On the R1150 the engine brake was almost too effective, but it saved me a couple of times in slippery downhills when I'd forgotten to turn the ABS off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts