BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, was just sent this by a Chinese friend of mine. It's in Chinese, but the translation comes across well enough. Apparently, in China, they have been experiencing many broken kickstands on both the G310R and G310GS models. Just wondering if anyone else has heard about this and what BMW plans on doing in your country.

https://m.sohu.com/a/232310970_686497/?pvid=000115_3w_a&strategyid=00014

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hopefully, this is not an issue of people sitting on the bike, whilst on the side stand. That is never recommended, it is only to support the bike's weight. Another reason to get a center stand or paddock rear stand.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I certainly hope not, as I need to mount by standing on the peg to swing my leg over. Combination of short legs and loss of flexibility as I get older. Have been doing this for the better part of 30 years with no issues. Yet.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have trouble getting my leg over but to step on the peg to get on is far to much pressure on the prop stand, getting leg over while on prop I find the best way as it kinda lowers the bike a couple of inches.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Looks like too much load going on to the stand to me to shear the mounting lug. As has been said above, the stand is really only supposed to support the bike - also the further the angle of lean on the bike - ie if the ground is sloping down on the bike's left side, the more load goes on the stand.

Personally, I worry about things like the Tirox Snapjack as they force extra load on the side stand, so I'd never use one.

I certainly hope not, as I need to mount by standing on the peg to swing my leg over. Combination of short legs and loss of flexibility as I get older. Have been doing this for the better part of 30 years with no issues. Yet.
I know the problem... :)
I'm not tall either, and have an issue with my left hip that prevents full movement... there is no way I can swing my right leg fully over the and round the back of the seat these days to get on, but I have found that adopting a different technique works for me. With the bike on the side stand, if I bend my right knee up, I can actually pivot over the riders part of the seat, which is lower. It's kind of the way I dismount, but in reverse... (When I had the 2016 Yamaha MT03, I was always confused that I could get off it easier than on it, took my wife to point out that I did it differently... doh!)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have trouble getting my leg over but to step on the peg to get on is far to much pressure on the prop stand, getting leg over while on prop I find the best way as it kinda lowers the bike a couple of inches.
Honestly, I'm a tall guy (6'2") and have no problem with flexibility at 24 (for now). I get on my Versys 650 LT like this every time. It's possible to do this by swinging my leg over, but the back seat is so tall and the saddle bags are wide enough that it's quite difficult. I honestly don't even think it's possible to hop aboard a full-size adventure bike with large saddlebags...like a BMW R1200GS without using this technique.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Supposedly some riders were talking about a recall in China?? Don't know, but figured I'd make a mention of it here just in case this probably starts cropping in different parts of the world.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ive read on a thai FB forum that there has been some side stands breaking in Thailand market. My dealer in malaysia also confirmed that some stands seem to break when excess weight is put on them when the bike is moved (kind of shuffled) by using the stand as leverage/pivot point. (this may actually be the reason why they are breaking). Anyway i put a center stand on mine, so not too worried about the side stand issue (if it exists).

·
Registered
82 Posts
At 5 ft. 8 in. and 28 in. and stiff at 71 years of age, I can just barely "straddle the saddle" on the "R". The GS is out of the question for me. I cannot straddle the GS but I think that I could safely step on the left foot peg and straddle if I could get the GS more upright on the side stand by finding a position where either one or both of the wheels was in a depression or if I could find a raised point to rest the side stand on.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Willy

At about the same height and a few years older I can relate. Reminds me of the little kid in the neighborhood with a 100cc years ago, He pushed it against the front steps to get on and couldn't stop until he got back home. Do you also have an R50?

·
Registered
82 Posts
No..I took an extended test ride at the dealer and loved it. Acceleration and handling was terrific for a small bike! Reminded me of the Bultaco Metralla from the late 1960's era.

But I am holding off with a buying decision as I have a like new GZ250 that I bought 15 years ago which fits me perfectly. And it has been ultra reliable over the 33 K miles that I have ridden it.

I hope to buy something more exciting for a "last bike" but retired on fixed income makes all of my buying decisions very deliberative and devoid of impulse.

·
Registered
157 Posts
This is a known problem and according to my dealership BMW will not replace the frame on the bike under warranty. It is actually a portion of the frame that is breaking in many cases not the kickstand itself. I was told by my dealer never to use the foot peg to mount the bike when it is leaning on the kickstand. When I asked why, he showed me 2 that he had in the shop for that very problem. Both were refused Warranty replacement by BMW. I even asked if I could have the broken part to figure a way to strengthen that frame part but was told they had to keep the broken parts for 3 to 4 months in case BMW wants to examine them etc. The handbook says not to lean on the bike etc while on the side stand.

·
Super Moderator
974 Posts
This is a known problem and according to my dealership BMW will not replace the frame on the bike under warranty. It is actually a portion of the frame that is breaking in many cases not the kickstand itself. I was told by my dealer never to use the foot peg to mount the bike when it is leaning on the kickstand. When I asked why, he showed me 2 that he had in the shop for that very problem. Both were refused Warranty replacement by BMW. I even asked if I could have the broken part to figure a way to strengthen that frame part but was told they had to keep the broken parts for 3 to 4 months in case BMW wants to examine them etc. The handbook says not to lean on the bike etc while on the side stand.

The handbook only says to avoid sitting or leaning on the bike while the side stand is down to avoid the bike from toppling over, and that the toppling could cause damage. BMW cannot avoid liability for broken frames due to leaning on the side stand! If this is true, it's a design fault.

If you don't already with new vehicles (or used vehicles), have them inspected by an independent party just before the expiry of the warrantee, it costs $100-$200 but can save you thousands and give you piece of mind. saved me $800 once and saved my dad about $6000.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info Zente! That's disappointing. People should fight BMW on this. I can understand the kickstand itself breaking, but the frame???

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes. I bought my g310gs in Spain and my kickstand just broke. I was standing on the bike, it fell to my left, the kickstand was on and it broke near the chassis. I took it to the shop and they said the needed to change all the chassis. This seemed ridiculous for me. They said it could cost 800 euros + 800 euros to instal it + 21% vat, all together 2000€!! I said i was going to speak with BMW because it didnt make sense at all. They managed to speak too with BMW regional manager and he admitted that it wasnt the only one to have this issue, another 3-4 had also been reported. I am waiting for a solution. aparently in Germany they are working on this in order to solve the issue. Hope this helped.

·
Registered
469 Posts
If my frame broke because of this issue while under warranty, and they said it was not covered, well it wouldn't be a happy day
for anyone near me. Social media is a very powerful resource that can be very effective at getting pressure on companies for
these very type of issues. Entry level motorcycles have a very low profit margin, but this should not be the excuse for neglecting
legitimate warranty claims. I am pretty sure if this issue were to happen to my $25,000 K1200GT, it would have been covered.

It's all speculation on my behalf, but if this does happen to me, it will be my 6th and final BMW.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Has the kick stand been hit frequently by rocks while riding? Or may no frequently but severely? Is the frame compromised to the extent it is dangerous to ride? I understand corporate not wanting to replace frame, but if it is defective there should be no option. In US warranty is three years is this also in Spain?

Good luck

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just adding to this thread - I’ve got another broken side stand...

The mounting hole, where the stand pivots, is what snapped. Yes, this is part of the frame... I do not see any bending down there, just a clean snap of the lower half circle of metal. Not encouraging.

I do, and always have used the “stirrup mount” on taller bikes, and bikes with luggage. Never had this issue before - until now.

Compliments to JMo for previously posting the sidestand switch bypass to allow getting home!

Pigtail the Blue-Yellow and the Black-Green wires. Leave the Green-Red. Done.

The stand itself is fine. Off to the dealer this week to see what to do. :frown2:

·
Registered
337 Posts
I think this bike is a piece of crap but the problem is
The bike gives to much fun when riding but quality i dont know anymore😰

1 - 20 of 60 Posts