BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on Saturday I will go out for 2. time on an off-road day in a quarry. last time was a year ago, the bike was all stock.
found that the best upgrade I could make was tires.

now I've fitted TKC 70 tires and looking forward to a day of fun, hoping for a little more grip.
would love to try out TKC 80, but I dont want to go for a tire change every time i go out off-road.

Any one else doing technical off-road with their stock bike? (or non-stock, what mods have you got?)

·
Registered
BMW 310GS 2019
15 Posts
Planning on some off road action but only had the bike a day, will be investing in a rally raid sump guard (after the 600 mile service) and have some hand guards and a radiator guard to fit when it stops raining!

·
Registered
368 Posts
on Saturday I will go out for 2. time on an off-road day in a quarry. last time was a year ago, the bike was all stock.
found that the best upgrade I could make was tires.

now I've fitted TKC 70 tires and looking forward to a day of fun, hoping for a little more grip.
would love to try out TKC 80, but I dont want to go for a tire change every time i go out off-road.

Any one else doing technical off-road with their stock bike? (or non-stock, what mods have you got?)
TKC-80's are fine on the G310GS , both on road and off. A lot of riders on big adventure bikes use them a lot here in Finland. Only thing with the TKC-80's, on quater-ton bikes is that they don't las very long on hard surfaces. But for such an open pattern, they work fine on asphalt.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Weekender off-road, with the tourance last 15k kms. I turned to a Mitas 07 rear and feels a much better than stock, grippy on paviment and good resistance with stones and roots, very well on dry, but the wet side is not as good.

·
Registered
37 Posts

SW Motech skid plate and engine guard, barkbusters jet to protect the must important. Dominator hi exhaust system to save weight and gain power. ProTaper higher bars and shorter regulable brake and clutch levers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TKC-80's are fine on the G310GS , both on road and off. A lot of riders on big adventure bikes use them a lot here in Finland. Only thing with the TKC-80's, on quater-ton bikes is that they don't las very long on hard surfaces. But for such an open pattern, they work fine on asphalt.
The issue I have with tkc 80 is, I don't think it will last long for me as I'm commuting 50km a day, mostly motorway. but I would love them for the weekends.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SW Motech skid plate and engine guard, barkbusters jet to protect the must important. Dominator hi exhaust system to save weight and gain power. ProTaper higher bars and shorter regulable brake and clutch levers.
That setup looks really nice!
I would prefer the rally raid bashplate, as it connects to the frame instead of the engine.

·
Registered
368 Posts
The issue I have with tkc 80 is, I don't think it will last long for me as I'm commuting 50km a day, mostly motorway. but I would love them for the weekends.
A good solution for your problem is getting yourself a second set of wheels. Then you have one for commuting and one for play. The best looking alternative is probably RallyRaids's golden spoked wheels, but it is kind of expensive. A set of used cast wheels shouldn't be too expensive. Or you could learn to change the tires yourself. When you know the technic, it only take half an hour to do it. You could probably get a set for € 500 on Ebay. Right now there is one German seller who has both front and rear for sale, make him an offer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A good solution for your problem is getting yourself a second set of wheels. Then you have one for commuting and one for play. The best looking alternative is probably RallyRaids's golden spoked wheels, but it is kind of expensive. A set of used cast wheels shouldn't be too expensive. Or you could learn to change the tires yourself. When you know the technic, it only take half an hour to do it. You could probably get a set for € 500 on Ebay. Right now there is one German seller who has both front and rear for sale, make him an offer.
I have been looking at rally raid spoked wheels, but as you mention, they are quite expensive. Thanks! I might look for another set of cast wheels :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
For combined off and on pavement riding I've found Kenda Big Blocks to be an excellent choice and they were the first mod I did when I got my GS 310. The grip in dirt is good and also surprisingly good on pavement and there is no sqjuirming, whining, etc. on pavement. The GS 310 is the third or fourth adventure bike I've put Big Blocks on.

·
Registered
368 Posts
For combined off and on pavement riding I've found Kenda Big Blocks to be an excellent choice and they were the first mod I did when I got my GS 310. The grip in dirt is good and also surprisingly good on pavement and there is no sqjuirming, whining, etc. on pavement. The GS 310 is the third or fourth adventure bike I've put Big Blocks on.
Yeah, some of us finds their favourite all-round tire after a while. I found mine in the Heidenau K60's, some 15 years ago. I still like them, but I try others from time to time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
That setup looks really nice!
I would prefer the rally raid bashplate, as it connects to the frame instead of the engine.
The RR look chunkier and also heavier, maybe in a rockie mountain could be necesary, till now SW motech couple has made its Job protecting my engine from rocks.

·
Registered
74 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
For bash plates, I far prefer BMW's own option.
It's in solid, heavy duty Ally, with a much less blocky, more streamlined shape.
It looks really good on the bike. These aren't the best possible shots of it:
Finally bmw awake!

·
Registered
368 Posts
If looks are the key factor, the BMW is OK. If I was to do real off-road driving with the G310GS, I would take the RallyRaid combo anytime. The BMW, or any engine mounted bash plate, is more for flying stone protection than impact protection. Then again, BMW probably never intended the G310GS to be an off-road motorcycle. It's more a street bike with some off-road capabilities. I installed a DIY aluminium bash plate and a H&B copy engine bars. The bash plate for stone protection on dirt roads and crash bars for when using my bike for teaching a newbie to drive.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If looks are the key factor, the BMW is OK. If I was to do real off-road driving with the G310GS, I would take the RallyRaid combo anytime. The BMW, or any engine mounted bash plate, is more for flying stone protection than impact protection. Then again, BMW probably never intended the G310GS to be an off-road motorcycle. It's more a street bike with some off-road capabilities. I installed a DIY aluminium bash plate and a H&B copy engine bars. The bash plate for stone protection on dirt roads and crash bars for when using my bike for teaching a newbie to drive.
If I was to do real off road I will buy my dream machine Husky 701 Enduro, and even it has a plastic bash plate!! and by the way its at the same price that the GS with all the RR equipment.

·
Registered
368 Posts
If I was to do real off road I will buy my dream machine Husky 701 Enduro, and even it has a plastic bash plate!! and by the way its at the same price that the GS with all the RR equipment.
If I was to do real off-road, I would buy a light weight 250 cc 4-stroke. The Husky 701 is too heavy for the common Finnish enduro tracks and that's the only real off-road riding allowed here. For all-road use on our frostbitten backroads, the G310GS suits my needs well. Specially after suspension upgrade. My dream bike would be the MG V85TT. It has enough power to carry me with necessary camping gear and an occasional passenger. But that's to much for my budget. All three bikes would probably be good for any organized off-road days.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If I was to do real off-road, I would buy a light weight 250 cc 4-stroke. The Husky 701 is too heavy for the common Finnish enduro tracks and that's the only real off-road riding allowed here. For all-road use on our frostbitten backroads, the G310GS suits my needs well. Specially after suspension upgrade. My dream bike would be the MG V85TT. It has enough power to carry me with necessary camping gear and an occasional passenger. But that's to much for my budget. All three bikes would probably be good for any organized off-road days.
Wich suspension do you got, Hyperpro or RR? It's my next mod but not pretty sure if worth the money.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts