BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of us now have a community lock-down with this virus,but I still love to get the bike out for a bit of fresh air,I dont jog or have a bicycle so this is my exercise.Police so far have not stopped me but I have seen random stop checks on cars!!!:cool:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Here in Finland we are free to move but are recommended to keep a safety distance to others. Restaurants are closed and the county where I live, Uusimaa, is isolated from the rest of the country. I can still ride in an area of approximately 10 000 km2. The area is about 290 km wide.
Right now I'm leaving for a ride on my XJ900S. I have a new front tire that needs to be ridden in. A perfect riding day with temperatures between 12-16 Centigrade.
Ride safe, stay healthy!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here in Santa Clara County CA we are instructed to make no unnecessary trips, and stay local. A lot of folks were talking about heading out a few weeks ago, but I think most bikers have settled into "necessary journeys only". For me that means I'm out once or twice a week on shopping runs. Usually I'm taking a slightly longer route, and riding right now in the Bay Area is fantastic. But on the whole I'm staying at home and taking the pandemic seriously. Santa Clara Country is not as bad as New York but was one of the hardest hit places in the state, so folks are mostly being sensible about it here.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The weather here is to get warmer & this weekend is Easter,so I think a lot of bikers will be out for a good run.....:cool::cool::cool:

·
Registered
2018 G310R
2 Posts
I think one reason we shouldn't be riding is the danger element. We all know, accept and do our best to overcome the fact that motorcycling is inherently dangerous. Anything that risks a visit to A&E at the moment is profoundly anti-social. Our hospitals have more than enough to cope with already.

·
Registered
917 Posts
We have, in the Netherlands, an intelligent lock down. This means stay home as much as possible, keep a 1,5 mtr distance from other people etc etc.
Riding a motorcycle is not forbidden.
Last weekend, perfect weather for riding, I took the bike out round 17.00 hrs to ride appr. 50 kilometers in a touring pace (I even was overtaken by a 50 cc scooter !!!!!!)
That same weekend the roads were not very busy because sensible people stayed at home and some not sensible people, riding motorcycles, took the opportunity to make the road theirs and on the winding roads drive much faster then was allowed.
Reading the newspaper on Monday morning ......... a lot of complaints on speed and noise (motorcycles) and I felt very sad about this because now all motorcyclist are The ones to blame.
You know, you can do 1000 things good but if you make one mistake, that will hunt you for the rest of ........
I can not understand that some people are so “insensible” (anti social) that they will spoil our good name as motorcyclists.
Looking forward to the next weekend (Eastern), they already closed some nice roads and police will do their job and probably will write tickets without warning. I stay home because I don’t want to be one of THEM.
Take care out there and stay safe and healthy.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I think one reason we shouldn't be riding is the danger element. We all know, accept and do our best to overcome the fact that motorcycling is inherently dangerous. Anything that risks a visit to A&E at the moment is profoundly anti-social. Our hospitals have more than enough to cope with already.
According to statistics, your home is the most dangerous place to be in "More accidents happen at home than anywhere else ". And "Home Is The Most Dangerous Place To Be"
In the Nordic countries (Scandinavia and Finland) a big share of motorcycle related deaths and severe injuries happen under influence of drugs or alcohol, quite often with a stolen vehicle. In Sweden the Police reports (at least did, when I lived there) accidents with modified mopeds as motorcycle accidents. If a 50 cc moped is modified, by law it should be insured, taxed and road-safety inspected as a motorcycle. Also the driver should have a license for driving a motorcycle.All this distorts the statistics about the danger of motorcycling.
Keep on riding, stay safe!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Although there's a state-wide stay-at-home order except for essentials outings, Texas still allows people to exercise outside and to go to parks as well as grocery stores, medical appointments, and such as long. Still, six foot separation should be maintained and so far folks here are cooperating pretty well. Now if it would only the endless thunder storms would stop I could ride to the park and wander around.

·
Registered
2018 G310R
2 Posts
According to statistics, your home is the most dangerous place to be in "More accidents happen at home than anywhere else ". And "Home Is The Most Dangerous Place To Be"
In the Nordic countries (Scandinavia and Finland) a big share of motorcycle related deaths and severe injuries happen under influence of drugs or alcohol, quite often with a stolen vehicle. In Sweden the Police reports (at least did, when I lived there) accidents with modified mopeds as motorcycle accidents. If a 50 cc moped is modified, by law it should be insured, taxed and road-safety inspected as a motorcycle. Also the driver should have a license for driving a motorcycle.All this distorts the statistics about the danger of motorcycling.
Keep on riding, stay safe!
That's a favourite statistics quote and, like most of those, is totally misleading. Of course the majority of accidents occur at home - and during "lockdown" that percentage will increase massively. It's like saying "the majority of sleeping hours occur at night". The majority of people are at home for the majority of their time. Another favourite is "most road accidents occur within a mile of home". Of course they do because over 90% of journeys include "within a mile of home" twice.

·
Registered
175 Posts
That's a favourite statistics quote and, like most of those, is totally misleading. Of course the majority of accidents occur at home - and during "lockdown" that percentage will increase massively. It's like saying "the majority of sleeping hours occur at night". The majority of people are at home for the majority of their time. Another favourite is "most road accidents occur within a mile of home". Of course they do because over 90% of journeys include "within a mile of home" twice.
And your point is?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Took the bike out today with my mate,wee run down the coast,102miles:cool:
Roads nice & quite,safer than staying at home......:p

·
Super Moderator
897 Posts
Only essential trips here, so just riding to and from work, to get some groceries, and to fill up the bike with petrol. On the plus side, the ride to and from work takes about 7 minutes less than it used to.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Was planning to take the bike out for al nice ride but ...... they closed the area we call little switzerland.
Some bicycle groups and (idiot) motorcycle groups thought, because a lot of people stayed at home, that the road was theirs and exceeded the speed limit massively and produced a lot of noise with their “sporty” exhausts.

Because it is a nice area at weekends a lot of people use to go there to relax and enjoy and most of us motorcyclists obey the speed limits (okay, not all the time !).
A little group is now spoiling our area we all can use.

Beside that, the borders into Germany (Eifel mountains) and Belgium (Ardennes) are closed.
Places to go to and ride with many winding roads are getting less and less.

What will happen in the future. Will this area stay closed for motorcycles in the future because “they” can ? The people that live there our happy the roads are closed. The people that have hotels, restaurants and pubs are not.

I think I will go for a ride tomorrow and try to find other nice and winding roads........

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Went out today,wee trip to Port Patrick,clear day you can see Ireland,beautiful sunny day & the roads were very quiet,usually full of truckers & coaches.....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Went out this morning with my 2 mates,123mile run to Largs,its on the west coast,nice sunny day:cool:

·
Super Moderator
897 Posts
Some restrictions are starting to ease due to very low infection rates. We can now ride as much as we want in a 150km radius (500km radius if you live in the outback)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Unfortunately we are still on lockdown for another 2 weeks,possibly longer!!!
Back to work on monday,been a good 3 weeks furlough....:p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts