BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have installed a mid cut light tint Ztechnik windscreen.
I have put the OEM clear flyscreen in a safe place as it will one day be a collectors item.:grin2:
The new screen is much better than stock which was really not effective in any way other than getting bugs on it.
What does shock me is how much movement the new screen gets when at highway speeds.
There is a lot of flex and when I examined it closer after the first ride the whole mounting area plastics on the bike
get flexed to a point where I wonder if this will be able to take this abuse over time.
Anyone else with an aftermarket screen notice this?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I just mounted an MRA small screen and it's as stable as a rock. No vibration, no movement, no flexing, no problem. Installation instructions were written by someone who probably installed tons of that screen so it took a while to figure what was actually meant but the results are first class.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just mounted an MRA small screen and it's as stable as a rock. No vibration, no movement, no flexing, no problem. Installation instructions were written by someone who probably installed tons of that screen so it took a while to figure what was actually meant but the results are first class.
I believe your windscreen uses support rods?
I was referring to the mounting method where it only uses the existing 4 holes from the OEM screen.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I believe your windscreen uses support rods?
I was referring to the mounting method where it only uses the existing 4 holes from the OEM screen.
Unless I'm missing something my 310R didn't come from the factory with an OEM windscreen. Are we talking different models?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unless I'm missing something my 310R didn't come from the factory with an OEM windscreen. Are we talking different models?
Yes, my bad.
Did not realize you were on an R.
Maybe include it in your signature line for reference to others.
Hope you are enjoying this little thumper, they are a lot of fun.:smile2:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yes, my bad.
Did not realize you were on an R.
Maybe include it in your signature line for reference to others.
Hope you are enjoying this little thumper, they are a lot of fun.:smile2:
My bad as well. I'm still learning and sometimes forget about the GS model. In something like 55 years of riding I've rarely ridden off road intentionally. :grin2:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have the the Rally Raid tall screen. It doesn't flex but does vibrate a little in high revs. The only thing that the bothers me is that the screen mounting holes doesn't match the bike's holes exactly so the screws are mounted in a little angle.

BUT works great. In highway speeds (75/80 mph) it's quieter and no wind pressure at all.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have an Ermax High Screen and I have not noticed any movement at all at any speed.
Are you on an R or GS?
Yesterday while on some moderate washboard off-road the screen was really bouncing, I can just see it
breaking at those 4 mounting holes one day.:surprise:

·
Registered
84 Posts
High windscreen concern

Hey, on the subject of aftermarket screens, I was considering some of these high screens until I just completed a level 1 off road course with BMW. Going up steep hills requires a forward body position with your head past the handlebars and over the headlight/oem windscreen. I can see a tall windscreen becoming an issue in this scenario, especially when hitting a rut whilst going uphill. Trainers reported face cuts from a windscreen a common injury when going up steep hills with your visor open. The issue now is finding that perfect compromise between highway comfort without interfering with off road capability.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts