BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I originally started a thread under the title of bike stalling but since the event that made me think that I was driving too slowly I have had a repeat of the problem and it is clearly the brakes automatically engaging at 40mph. I posted the following 2 days ago but have had no reaction much to my surprise so I am trying again, clearly I need a better understanding of the problem before I ride my bike again

I took bike to dealer (to see if I would be the subject of a recall) and explained that bike stalled at 40mph on a flat road and then became stationary before I could select a low gear. They ran diagnostics and found nothing but confirmed that my bike was to be recalled for replacement brake callipers.

On the way to my BMW dealers this morning (for the new callipers to be fitted), going down a steep hill at approx. 40 mph, about the same distance from home as before, the brakes came on by themselves and we did an emergency stop into the roadside. I nearly went over the bars but held on tightly enough. The bike would not move (i.e. could not be pushed) because the brake(s) were on so tight, After a few seconds I was able to ride again and the same thing happened. I then rode the remaining mile to the dealer, very slowly.

So the bike is at the dealers but they do not know what the problem is of if the recall is connected. Since my original letter from the dealer said 'carry on riding' I am very concerned. Anybody know anything?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Is this rear brake only? If so and the brake has been adjusted too far in order to raise the engagement point it is possible for the brake to engage as it warms up. The obvious solution is to back off the adjustment.

·
Registered
86 Posts
........... confirmed that my bike was to be recalled for replacement brake callipers..............

Well, this sounds like it may be related to your brake malfunction.

Someone above mentioned back brakes, but even locking the back brake won't make you feel like you were about to go over the bars, so it must be the front? Correct? Can you tell the difference when it happens?
The bike has ABS, so if the wheel(s) are in fact being locked, then there is a major problem.

Anyway, ignore the dealer's assertions that it is ok and get them to fit the replacement callipers as per the 'recall' you mention.

As for calling it 'stalling at 40mph'...... Stalling implies the engine stopped. Pulling in the clutch would have prevented the stall, independent of any brake lock-up.

·
Registered
222 Posts
What model and year is your bike? And in which country are you located?
Never heard of a brake recall and never got any letter about this but did a quick search and I've found there was apparently a recall in Europe for some of the early G310R, something about brake caliper coming loose :(
But recall or not, what you described sounds very dangerous. In no way you should accept to "carry on riding" in such conditions.
At least your bike is at the dealer now.
Let them do the recall and let them test drive the bike after and figure it all out if any remaining issue.
Keep us informed of the outcome.

·
Super Moderator
931 Posts
What model and year is your bike? And in which country are you located?
Never heard of a brake recall and never got any letter about this but did a quick search and I've found there was apparently a recall in Europe for some of the early G310R, something about brake caliper coming loose :(
But recall or not, what you described sounds very dangerous. In no way you should accept to "carry on riding" in such conditions.
At least your bike is at the dealer now.
Let them do the recall and let them test drive the bike after and figure it all out if any remaining issue.
Keep us informed of the outcome.
Most other countries had this issue rectified before the bikes where sold, if your handle bar has torx bolts I think the issue has been rectified on your bike.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yeah it sounds like the front caliper wasn't installed correctly, and it's probably binding against the rotor at random. Definitely not a safe condition, and I'm amazed the dealer told you to continue riding. They should have trailered the bike at their expense to ensure you didn't get hurt. I'm glad you're OK.

When did you buy it?

Attachments

·
Registered
751 Posts
the only thing I can think of is the gear lever touching the MC piston before it engages, or perhaps too much brake fluid so that the calliper pistons cannot retract after you release the brake lever. I do not believe that anything is wrong with the callipers themselves. bmw dealers are just morons.

speaking of which, someone mentioned that it is not dangerous because of having ABS. it is not true, both the brake pads and the rotor will extremely overheat before the ABS kicks in. i had this situation with Tiger 800 after changing the MC and putting too much brake fluid. My bike stopped, locked the front brakes, in the middle of the road before ABS engaging and the rotor was blue from the heat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A lot of progress has been made on this, the front brake calliper has been replaced and there are 3 seized pistons in the old calliper. The service dept, have agreed that these could expand due to friction and thereby apply braking. Looking back, on the first occasion I had a second or two to try to change gear downwards before stopping but on the second occasion not so.

This would be consistent with the facts and explain why the event was not recorded on the bike log. After reporting the first braking instance I was sent back out with the problem intact, the issue here is that the service dept. have a non-technical, friendly receptionist but there is no customer/mechanic contact. What I am trying to say is that if I had spoken to a mechanic we may well have found out the problem at the first attempt. I was told that the bike was recalled because of brake calliper corrosion, I would hazard a guess that this was discovered under similar circumstances to mine but no-one is saying, the dealer said that the only information they get is 'do this on these models'
My bike is a October 2017 registered G310R

·
Registered
38 Posts
While my 310GS was having some other warranty work done, they replaced front and rear calipers after having inspected them under a PUMA from BMW so their is definitely a problem lurking, this was 2 weeks ago. I am based in the UK so not sure if problem is just here.

·
Registered
751 Posts
a problem with both callipers? very strange. the company which makes them supplies callipers to all the bikes in India, and only bmw seems to have some issues.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Facts

The facts/truth about the issue can only really come from BMW , which I don't think will be forth coming unless it becomes a Recall rather than a Puma.

Corrosion is what we are being informed , the cause I would say is the salt the UK throw on the roads ?

Spec change to Coating/finish/material change , what ever has been applied to part of the new calipers to stop further problems ! we hope.

BMW will probably end up changing all UK calipers pre a certain age regardless , as they do not want an incident !

So look to other makes with same brake calipers to see if they have problems (UK mainly), if they have not , then the BMW ones are of a different spec (lower quality maybe / keeping cost down) or Bybre messed up ?

Only my opinion.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'll be following this issue with interest. Our road keepers use salt too, to keep our winter roads free from ice. THe same goeas for Norway, Sweden and possibly also Germany.

·
Registered
117 Posts
So look to other makes with same brake calipers to see if they have problems (UK mainly), if they have not , then the BMW ones are of a different spec (lower quality maybe / keeping cost down) or Bybre messed up ?
I know Peugeot have a similar issue with the Alcon calipers on the rcz-r.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I heard some of my friends complained the similar issues from China as well, but it seems BMW dealer said no issues detected with the calipers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I received a Vehicle Safety Recall notice this morning relating to 'functional limitations' due to brake calliper corrosion, apparently a UK only problem. This is for sure the problem I had, I say had because my local dealer sorted out my problem very much to my satisfaction a couple of weeks ago, I now know that my brakes were actually (corroded) on all the time (causing me to think that the light flywheel was causing me to stall) and it was heat build up after travelling a few miles that caused the brakes to apply themselves. All is OK now, I went for a long ride this morning and all was great.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts