1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2021 G310GS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
Just need some advice!

I have a set of Puig auxiliary light which come with everything needed to wire up to the bike. I just don’t know where to join the ignition wire leading from the handle bar switch to? I have looked everywhere and watched countless videos but no one seems to show that bit.
The wiring harness includes; pos and neg battery connections, in-line fuse attached to pos battery connection, battery leads leading to a relay, which then has direct plugs for each light and one leading to the handle bar switch. From this, there is a single red wire approx 40 cm long. The lights will not work without them being connected to the ignition.
I have usb and heated grips installed by BMW already so was wondering if I can simply use a posi connector or similar to join the auxiliary light switch to main headlight feed so that it turns on with the ignition….or do I need to link it somewhere else.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Very cool the light set up uses a relay. The best way to hook in lights. Any of the taps already hooked to ignition switch are fine as relay is low draw signal. There are two ports on the GS behind the headlight. There could be an open one depending on how grips and such hooked in. Check out the picts provided by KentForrest The factory taps sweet as they are fused.

·
Registered
2021 G310GS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The grips and USBs were done before I bought the bike. The grips in particular look like they have been specifically wired away from the accessory ports on the GS whereas the USBs are fitted next to the digital screen and probably use the ports behind. I’ll have a look tomorrow behind the headlight and surround and see if I can find somewhere suitable. Thanks for getting back to me.

·
Registered
2021 G310GS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So…this is what is behind my light…

There doesn’t appear to be any spare accessory port, just one where the USB port runs from. Besides it is a red and black wire which loops round upto the wiring bundle connecting to the screen and has a thicker encasing wire which runs down to the subframe and towards the back of the bike.
If I simply tapped into the usb red wire, that would link the auxiliary lights to the ignition? Given the lights have there own relay and fuse?

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Gas
Automotive tire Grey Motor vehicle Reflex camera Camera
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Kitchen appliance Automotive tire

·
Registered
582 Posts
find the post by KentForrest. Youd have to remove the headlight to access taps. Up high tucked up on left side, not visible in pict. That said, any wire that’s hot with ignition key will work fine. Using the taps avoids cutting into the wires is all, not huge. The signal wire is low amperage. One consideration might be a separate switch for extra lights, maybe. If bat ray weak turning off lights can aid to start. But that’s an old school thing not as applicable in this daze of low draw LED lights.

Reactions: LMarr [DK]

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Everyone,
Just need some advice!

I have a set of Puig auxiliary light which come with everything needed to wire up to the bike. I just don’t know where to join the ignition wire leading from the handle bar switch to? I have looked everywhere and watched countless videos but no one seems to show that bit.
The wiring harness includes; pos and neg battery connections, in-line fuse attached to pos battery connection, battery leads leading to a relay, which then has direct plugs for each light and one leading to the handle bar switch. From this, there is a single red wire approx 40 cm long. The lights will not work without them being connected to the ignition.
I have usb and heated grips installed by BMW already so was wondering if I can simply use a posi connector or similar to join the auxiliary light switch to main headlight feed so that it turns on with the ignition….or do I need to link it somewhere else.

Thanks!!!
Can you share a link for those lights?
thanks

·
Registered
2021 G310GS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

These are the lights I decided to go with. These come with everything including separate waterproof switch for handlebar and mounts. From the switch is the ignition wire needed to be connected to somewhere that shares an ignition feed. Just not sure best place to join together.

·
Registered
582 Posts
The hot side of the switch needs to be fused sourced from switched source. The switched side of the switch goes to the relay to turn on the lights. You can source battery power if desiring lights without unit running.

·
Registered
2021 G310GS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorted!! All working. Thanks to a post from MichaelJ.

Joined the red ignition wire from the handle bar switch to the auxiliary port red wire down by the left side of headlight. No dramas!

Pics to follow!!

Thanks guys!

"...which may require removal of some of the panels..."

On the left side you will see two connectors that are zip tied out of the way. Cut the zip tie(s), remove the blanking plug and you're in business.

Note that a Genuine BMW power outlet will plug directly into one of the connectors. You will have to either cut the connector off or get a BMW connector to wire up a non-BMW bit. Both connectors are switched with the ignition switch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts