BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I live so close, 5 miles, to work, I turned in my leased car and am using my 310 as my primary transport.

I want to get a back pac for going food shopping and would like a recommendation. I need one that can hold maybe 2 grocery bags of food.

There are many out there and I'll appreciate any recommendations with details about performance.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Go for everything But ............ no back pac
IF you go down, a back pac can brake your back or hurt you a lot.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Well I disagree with it hurting you, it might depending what's in it.
My Mountain bike backpack, which also has a Camelback (water bladder for drinking),
actually cushioned me in falls. I use it on my motorcycles when I go on extended rides.
It's nice to have a drink at your leisure when riding, especially on dusty trails.
Check out your local bicycle shop, they have some nice choices that fit well
with a waist strap that keeps them stable.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I personally use a Spec-Ops brand EDC model and it works very well for at least a very large bag of groceries. It can also be attached to the back rack on my GS and easily secured. With all the molle connections it can be configured in almost any way you want.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Agree with Tickster, I'm a MTBiker as well and the backpack (not the heavy trekking one of course) is considered as a back protection for enduro racing ;-)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a nice size Cortec (sp?) bag, but want more for groceries.

There is no fear of back pac's injuring me, especially as the market is about 1/2 mile from my house on surface streets.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I agree that it can protect you when you have only water or a sleepingbag in your backpack.
But the question was, for transporting groceries.
I don’t know what you buy, but most of the time you buy tins, hard packs of food etc.
Those who go to work most of the time carry laptops or iPads and these things can harm you.
In my humble opinion the best thing to carry luggage is in a separate bag or topcase.
Also, when it is very hot outside, I don’t want to carry something on my back.
My summer jack with all ventilation is not working with my back covered.

My advice ......... get it of your back 😜

Oh yes, getting involved in an accident or crash has nothing to do with distances.
One of the most dangerous places are the parking lots with little children running around, overstressed mothers and nobody really paying attention to motorcycle drivers ...........

·
Registered
4 Posts
I use my bike as my primary transportation to and from work as well. I wear a Shoei 2.0 back pack.
It has replaced the messenger bag that I used to carry books and papers I needed for work.
It also has a nice helmet carrier for when I'm walking through the shops, or stopped for lunch.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have had the same Kriega backpack for over 7 years. Water proof and comfortable.
Well worth the money....

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm using the day backpack off my Macpac tramping pack. It's got waist and chest buckles so fits nice and doesn't move around.

I've got a 30min ride to and from work and it's big enough to fit both the front control arms for my Volvo wagon in it and it was fine to ride with.

I use it constantly to grab groceries. I had a 5kg brisket on the bone, 1kg of spare ribs, 2x 1ltr growers of tasty tasty craft beer with some tetrisesk packing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
@PaulS Accept no substitute, this is hands down the best large, waterproof, motorcycle specific backpack available:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/kriega-r30-backpack

30 liters, but can be cinched down to be very low profile when needed, and the cinch straps clip down so they don't flap.

Integrated, removable dry bag means 100% waterproof, if you need it. The dry bag can be removed and then you have two bags, one that can be strapped down as a impromptu tail bag.

The strap and harness system is the best available, superbly comfortable, circulates air, distributes the load off the shoulders, and easily adjustable.

The materials and workmanship are excellent, mine is 5 years old and can be cleaned up to look brand new with hand washing.

The reflectivity is a nice touch as well. Worth every penny.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts