BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Anyone with any tips/tricks on how to remove the cores of the bar ends?
Heat?
Wedge?
help!

·
Super Moderator
975 Posts
Hi!

Heat?
Wedge?
help!
I had problems getting mine out, I ended up getting thread adapters M8 to M6.

Apparently someone else in this forum got them out by turning them and pulling them at the same time, didn't work for me.

You'd probably want to put two nuts on an M8 bolt (in a lock nut configuration) screw the nut into the core so that it starts turning the core and pull at the same time

·
Registered
469 Posts
Hi!

Heat?
Wedge?
help!
Had this problem, when wanting to install my Barkbuster hand guards. First issue was just loosening the bolt.
Used a socket with an Allen head on it, instead of just a Allen key. Got more leverage and got them loose.
Then the insert wouldn't come out. Took the bar end weight off, put the bolt back in maybe a third of the way, then
put visegrips on the bolt and pulled and rocked and twisted and finally they released out.
It was a bit of a struggle.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had this problem, when wanting to install my Barkbuster hand guards. First issue was just loosening the bolt.
Used a socket with an Allen head on it, instead of just a Allen key. Got more leverage and got them loose.
Then the insert wouldn't come out. Took the bar end weight off, put the bolt back in maybe a third of the way, then
put visegrips on the bolt and pulled and rocked and twisted and finally they released out.
It was a bit of a struggle.
Ok! If you say so-- hopefully I don't throw my back out! Ahahah TYVM!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Tickster: how long are the cores? A few centimeters?! I can't yank them out— about ready to start drilling through.

Better yet-- can you take a picture of one so I know what they look like and what I'm dealing with? Thank you kindly.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Tickster: how long are the cores? A few centimeters?! I can't yank them out— about ready to start drilling through.

Better yet-- can you take a picture of one so I know what they look like and what I'm dealing with? Thank you kindly.
Can't take a pic, cause there in the handlebars.:smile2:
About 3-5cm's if I recall. Don't put the bolt in too far as it expands the the core

Reactions: porth and Eirikr27
1 - 7 of 7 Posts