BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bar End Mirrors
Today I installed these mirrors.
They are small ,cheap and not bad quality.
My original mirrors became loose.
They cost £9.95 (11.30 euros) plus p+p
Longer bolts are necessary (not supplied)
I bought 8mm x 75mm
The mirror body bolt holes will need drilling to 8mm
Easy as it is aluminium.
I cant upload the links yet (not enough posts under my belt)

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are not bad at all. When installing, the mirrors come with two rubber washers, one for each mirror. So when you tighten each side up, they get sort of nipped or act as a buffer between the bars and mirror base. I only got them because my originals gave me problems-i.e wouldn't stay tight, and to be honest, although these bar end mirrors are small they are quite
effective once set up. And to me, just my opinion, I think they suit the size of the bike.
How long they will last is anybody's guess, but for the price and a little drilling of the mirror body to take the BMW size bolts (8mm) you cant go wrong really, and they swivel out the way.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
here are the links- Don't forget- the mirror bolt holes have to be drilled with an 8mm bit and you will need longer 8mm bolts than the BMW ones!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RYDE-13MM-BLACK-UNIVERSAL-MOTORCYCLE-22MM-7-8-BAR-END-MIRRORS-MOTORBIKE-BIKE/351022902364?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Bolts I used 75mm long.M8 (8mm) A2 STAINLESS STEEL COUNTERSUNK SOCKET CAP ALLEN BOLT SCREWS METRIC | eBay

The image shows the original fittings when the mirrors arrive, the long rubber bits and the original
bolts are discarded.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did get the longer bolts to use the bar ends as well as the mirrors. I know they lengthen the whole width of the handlebars and filtering through traffic might present problems for some, but I live in a rural area so the width of the
bars does not affect me. As far as bolt length goes ,I don't think the standard,
original bolts will be long enough. On the other hand, if you bought the bolts from the link I provided and DID'NT use the bar ends, then the newly purchased 75mm x 8mm bolts would very likely be too long.
As for Blanking off the mirror stems, I used two rubber stoppers pushed flush into the threads and then got some black gloss paint I already had and painted over the rubber and the top of the aluminium mirror stems, to cover up the silver-bare aluminium which is exposed when you take the original mirrors off.

·
Super Moderator
931 Posts
I did get the longer bolts to use the bar ends as well as the mirrors. I know they lengthen the whole width of the handlebars and filtering through traffic might present problems for some, but I live in a rural area so the width of the
bars does not affect me. As far as bolt length goes ,I don't think the standard,
original bolts will be long enough. On the other hand, if you bought the bolts from the link I provided and DID'NT use the bar ends, then the newly purchased 75mm x 8mm bolts would very likely be too long.
As for Blanking off the mirror stems, I used two rubber stoppers pushed flush into the threads and then got some black gloss paint I already had and painted over the rubber and the top of the aluminium mirror stems, to cover up the silver-bare aluminium which is exposed when you take the original mirrors off.

Would be great to get the clutch and brake bracket portions without the mirror stems, that would tidy things up a bit.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Porth. I agree. It would look a lot tidier without the mirror part, and you could have better adjustment for the brake and clutch levers. At the moment, you can only adjust or rotate the levers so far.
I have bought these little plastic caps on Ebay to place in the mirror holes instead of the makeshift rubber bungs originally used. see pic

Attachments

·
Registered
469 Posts
You Sir are a genius.
Looks a lot neater.
Thanks Porth.
Looks good, I noticed in the pic your mounting bolt for the clutch lever bracket seems to be wearing the cable housing,
that could be a future problem IMHO.
Just saying.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts