BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I just bought a 2022 model and it seems a lot of people would consider this a beginner bike. As for me I sold my liter bike and bought one. Yes it cant do a 150mph like my old bike but it seems to be exactly what i was looking for. Well I did want a KTM adventure 390 but they seem to be impossible to find in Colorado other than paying 1k + over sticker. I still have my first bike as well which is a Buell blast that I bought 7 years ago. Honestly my favorite bike I've owned was a 1987 Yamaha TW200 but sadly after being stolen twice and recovered it wasn't worth saving. Curious as to others if they replaced liter bikes with this little gem?

And for new riders this might be considered a beginner bike but its pretty darn awesome. And a 1200GS weighs as much a 3 fat chicks and costs more than a gold digger.

·
Registered
117 Posts
It’s a great bike I have just decided to keep my 2019 G310R, I was looking at the Royal Enfield Classic 350cc but the G310s are better for riding on fast A roads and Motorways and are much lighter!! I still like REs as I have a 2020 Interceptor 650. I think if BMW produced a G500R they would sell in high numbers they are missing this in their range.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Beginner bike my @r$e. I have been riding for over 45 years, usually large capacity bikes. I gave up riding these because the power was unusable and they could very quickly get you in trouble in more ways that one. Weren't very economical especially true with todays fuel prices. Our roads in North Yorkshire are not in the best condition, which wasn't good on the hard suspension of a sports bike. I changed because I needed a commuter bike, that would give good fuel returns, glide over the poor country roads I use for my journey to work. I have been to the Black Forest in Germany, the Alps and Barcelona on my 310GS .I love it and if I change the bike it will only be for the newer model.
My last bike before the 310GS was a Ducati 1098. The big GS's and similar are too heavy for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Beginner bike my @r$e. I have been riding for over 45 years, usually large capacity bikes. I gave up riding these because the power was unusable and they could very quickly get you in trouble in more ways that one. Weren't very economical especially true with todays fuel prices. Our roads in North Yorkshire are not in the best condition, which wasn't good on the hard suspension of a sports bike. I changed because I needed a commuter bike, that would give good fuel returns, glide over the poor country roads I use for my journey to work. I have been to the Black Forest in Germany, the Alps and Barcelona on my 310GS .I love it and if I change the bike it will only be for the newer model.
My last bike before the 310GS was a Ducati 1098. The big GS's and similar are too heavy for me.
Yeah the week I bought my 310GS I hit a trash can lid on the highway going over a 100 by the time I slowed down a bit. I was like well this was fun... but time to sell the liter bike. Got to be young and dumb to old and wise so I decided to embrace my third thirties. Bought the bike on a Saturday and the sport bike was sold on a Tuesday. And got to LOVE the insurance prices on small displacements.

·
Registered
187 Posts
It’s an incredible bike. Rider position, ABS, clutch/ECU and light weight make easy safe to operate for all rider levels. However the power delivery, mediocre until like 6k could cause issues for the novice rider, particularly hill starts, off road. But for the experienced rider the “punch” is what makes us smile. I traded in a BMW 1150 GSA for the 310. Just not man enough for a behemoth

Reactions: ibsprink

·
Registered
94 Posts
Here's my humble viewpoint about the G310GS: overall an excellent bike with some limitations (some of which can be lifted if you pay extra €). If you do not accept those limitations buy another GS!
(+) Fun to ride, fast enough, enough torque, fuel efficient, stability at low speed (low center of gravity), ABS, does not pollute much (complies with euro 4 or 5 requirements).
(-) Fuel tank not designed for real adventures (would be nice if a specific auxiliary tank could be fitted - e.g. "camel tank"), engine stalls too easily, dashboard's indicator does not show which turn light is on (thus useless), no warning lights (not nice in case of accident or mechanical problem or when struck in a traffic jam), no dashboard control from the handlebar (unlike the F750/850GS and the R1250GS), average suspension (thus not able to use the brakes fully), lack of LED headlight and DRL's (Euro 4 model).

·
Registered
29 Posts
He didn't say it was unsuitable for beginners. He meant, I think, to inform the curious that it is a bike that can fully satisfy an experienced rider. Which is true. I have had a 1000 Beemer and 800, among other bikes, but I wanted a lighter bike now I'm in my 80s, but one that would still run fine at 75-80 mph. And this bike does that, plus it's easy to handle on gravel roads, not to mention easy to roll around a driveway or parking lot. It may be tricky to ride in very high winds on superhighways, but lots of larger bikes are, too. This bike is nimble, comfortable and fun to ride.
I don't get it. In what way isn't the G310GS or G310R suitable for beginners? What makes a 150+ Hp 1000 cc bike (capable of 250 km/h) a better beginner's bike?

·
Registered
G310GS 2018
603 Posts
He didn't say it was unsuitable for beginners. He meant, I think, to inform the curious that it is a bike that can fully satisfy an experienced rider. Which is true. I have had a 1000 Beemer and 800, among other bikes, but I wanted a lighter bike now I'm in my 80s, but one that would still run fine at 75-80 mph. And this bike does that, plus it's easy to handle on gravel roads, not to mention easy to roll around a driveway or parking lot. It may be tricky to ride in very high winds on superhighways, but lots of larger bikes are, too. This bike is nimble, comfortable and fun to ride.
As BabyGS310- Colorado said:
"I'm saying its a great bike overall. edited the subject I could see the confusion "

1 - 10 of 10 Posts