BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

Bigger than expected

14K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  Ian650 
#1 ·
I looked at the G310R at my local BMW dealer today.

What a nice bike! I already liked it before I saw it in the flesh, like it even more now!

It's bigger than I expected. At 6'5" I didn't feel cramped on the bike. Would like to try out the higher seat though.

Also sounds better in real life than on youtube.

I've got a test ride booked in for next weekend.

The rear looks a bit different here in Australia, see attached photo, but the mud guard can be removed.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
I'll take some pictures when I get my bike next week. It'll be the first thing to go on my bike. The dealers add a mudguard extender to comply with Australian Design Regulations to cover down to at least 45 degrees from the rear axle, however, at least here in Queensland, there is no angle requirement for the amount of coverage a mudguard provides.

#16 ·
Porth Congrats on the new bike. I'd hang on to that mudguard, at least until you have gone through your wet season (winter?).
Ironic isn't it, here we are in the UK, famous for wet and horrible weather and the guard isn't fitted, yet in a country that's known for its sunshine (and sadly droughts) its compulsory. (I am not saying OZ doesn't get its fair share of bad weather!)
personally, I would fit one to my R, I've been trying to work out (even on my two previous bikes Honda 500X, Yamaha MT09 Tracer) how I could improvise and make something exactly like the one you have taken off.

#18 ·
Thanks, that was almost two years ago, time flies when you're having fun on a 310 :)

I try not to ride when it's raining too badly, for the one or two times when a mud guard like that would come in handy I don't think it's worth it.

I'll dig it up from under the house (not literally) and try to find a part number on it, might help others who want to get one.

#24 ·
There is a law about the amount of rear wheel coverage, but there are also exemptions, the current setup for the R and the GS comply with the law. It seems that someone at BMW misinterpreted the requirements and the first bikes sold within the first few months all had that additional mudflap attached. The GS came out after BMW figured out that the mudflap wasn't required.

#25 ·
Hey Alan, did you manage to source a rear hugger at reasonable cost? I'm looking for one just now, I like the Motoquian version on sal at AliExpress but like you I'm not impressed by the shipping costs. There is on on Amazon ("Areyourshop Black Rear Fender Mudguard Wheel Hugger Splash Guard") but it has mounting for the licence plate on which, which I don't want.

I wonder what the unit would look like without that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.