BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought about posting this in one of the several threads about stator problems, but I think my experience deserves it's own thread.

So, here's the story:

I've been the proud owner of a BMW motorcycle for all of two days—and I already had to get it towed twice.

I bought a brand new G 310 GS on Tuesday. On Wednesday morning, I was getting ready to ride it back to my hometown, which is about 300 miles from the city I bought it in. Within half an hour of riding, suddenly the lights go off for a couple of seconds. Then, maybe five minutes later, the engine dies on me at a red light and I can't get it started again. This is about 6.00 AM in the morning.

Since I'm only about ten miles or so from the dealer, I call BMW Roadside Assistance to help me. For over three hours, I sit by the side of the road, waiting for them to send me a tow truck. Nothing happens. It's only when the guys at the dealership come to work at 9.00 AM that I can reach someone to come get me. This was independent from Roadside Assistance. At about 11.00 AM, five hours after placing my initial call with them, and after I'm already back at the dealer, they call me to ask whether I still need help.

At the dealership, the service guys do their checkup and replace the battery and tell me I'm good to go. I spent the rest of the day riding with no issues, having a blast. It's a really fun bike.

This morning, after stopping at a hotel over night, I get going again. After about four hours of riding, the same thing happens again. I'm at a red light, in the middle of a busy intersection, and the engine shuts off again. I can't get it started. It sounds like the battery is empty.

So, here I am, once again pushing my brand new BMW off the road while people are honking at me. Once again, I call BMW Roadside Assistance. Once again, they are not able to get me a tow truck. It's only after I call them and tell them in no uncertain terms how displeased I am that they just call some local guy to do it instead of one of their contractors. Once again, I'm riding in the tow truck while my bike is in the back.

To be honest, I don't know what to make of this. First, there is the simple fact of a brand new bike dying on me twice within my first two days of owning it. Then there's the absolutely dismal performance by BMW Roadside Assistance. The bike is at my local dealer now, and I hope they'll figure out what the issue is, but I have to admit that my trust in BMW has been completely shattered. Do I have to worry that every time I'm at an intersection this will happen again? How useful could BMW Roadside Assistance possibly be if I ever need their help while not in a major metropolitan area but somewhere far off?

How is it the case that these problems still happen with 2022 model bikes? Haven't people have this exact issue for years?

Yes, bikes can be finicky. Yes, the 310 GS is a budget model. But the fact that the odometer was showing 48 miles when it stopped running almost amounts to malfeasance.

Needless to say, I'm deeply disappointed. This is my first bike and I was having an absolute blast riding it around the backroads.

·
Super Moderator
1,301 Posts
sounds like a charging issue, they should have checked it properly instead of just replacing the battery. Alternatively, you could have just been extremely unlucky and gotten two dud batteries.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since I had several hours to kill just sitting around waiting for tow trucks, I was looking through the different threads on here that describe similar issues: electronics malfunctioning during a ride, engine suddenly turning off at a red light, and so on. Seems like the stator problem that has affected plenty of riders.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I’d be right disappointed too. That’s crazy. The whole towing system is messed up currently as everyone has gone with subcontractors. Triple A too. Your at the mercy of the guy who hired the guy to get you. Very tempting to say “im not accepting this bike, it’s a lemon”. If they don’t play ball cancel whole deal and go get something else at different dealer. It’s just not acceptable they would let the bike out without testing charging system the first time.
So sorry this is happening to you. The 310 is a great bike but there are still improvements on quality control in parts. Like all modern bikes very very dependent on quality electricity. The Kawasaki Verys, Honda CRF and CSC 450 are all comparable if forced to go that way. Doubtful anyone could blame you on that. Blame everything on Dealer really.

Reactions: rob310gs

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, that all sounds right. So far, everyone involved has been very helpful. Called the manager of the dealership who sold it to me this morning and he was very apologetic and understanding. He told me to wait and see what the mechanics say this time and then to figure out next steps from there. He also brought up the issue of exchanging the bike completely, or help rebuild my confidence by extending the warranty.

I really love the bike and had a total blast riding it. But, needless to say, this has been as bad a start as can be imagined.

On the upside, now that I had to push my bike off busy intersections twice within my first two days as a rider, I think I'm immune to embarrassment.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Work that manager, his team really screwed the pooch. I’d say Different bike for sure if it’s not a double wham of bad bat rays (Which is totally possible). Extended warranty gratis if keep same bike. Arrggh! First new bike experience isn’t supposed to be this way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm still waiting to hear back from the people at the shop. I dropped it off late on Thursday and they are closed Sundays and Mondays. The guy told me that it'll take him a couple of days to take a look at it. (I think they're understaffed at the moment.) I just hope that they have all the parts they might need on hand.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I thought about posting this in one of the several threads about stator problems, but I think my experience deserves it's own thread.

So, here's the story:

I've been the proud owner of a BMW motorcycle for all of two days—and I already had to get it towed twice.

I bought a brand new G 310 GS on Tuesday. On Wednesday morning, I was getting ready to ride it back to my hometown, which is about 300 miles from the city I bought it in. Within half an hour of riding, suddenly the lights go off for a couple of seconds. Then, maybe five minutes later, the engine dies on me at a red light and I can't get it started again. This is about 6.00 AM in the morning.

Since I'm only about ten miles or so from the dealer, I call BMW Roadside Assistance to help me. For over three hours, I sit by the side of the road, waiting for them to send me a tow truck. Nothing happens. It's only when the guys at the dealership come to work at 9.00 AM that I can reach someone to come get me. This was independent from Roadside Assistance. At about 11.00 AM, five hours after placing my initial call with them, and after I'm already back at the dealer, they call me to ask whether I still need help.

At the dealership, the service guys do their checkup and replace the battery and tell me I'm good to go. I spent the rest of the day riding with no issues, having a blast. It's a really fun bike.

This morning, after stopping at a hotel over night, I get going again. After about four hours of riding, the same thing happens again. I'm at a red light, in the middle of a busy intersection, and the engine shuts off again. I can't get it started. It sounds like the battery is empty.

So, here I am, once again pushing my brand new BMW off the road while people are honking at me. Once again, I call BMW Roadside Assistance. Once again, they are not able to get me a tow truck. It's only after I call them and tell them in no uncertain terms how displeased I am that they just call some local guy to do it instead of one of their contractors. Once again, I'm riding in the tow truck while my bike is in the back.

To be honest, I don't know what to make of this. First, there is the simple fact of a brand new bike dying on me twice within my first two days of owning it. Then there's the absolutely dismal performance by BMW Roadside Assistance. The bike is at my local dealer now, and I hope they'll figure out what the issue is, but I have to admit that my trust in BMW has been completely shattered. Do I have to worry that every time I'm at an intersection this will happen again? How useful could BMW Roadside Assistance possibly be if I ever need their help while not in a major metropolitan area but somewhere far off?

How is it the case that these problems still happen with 2022 model bikes? Haven't people have this exact issue for years?

Yes, bikes can be finicky. Yes, the 310 GS is a budget model. But the fact that the odometer was showing 48 miles when it stopped running almost amounts to malfeasance.

Needless to say, I'm deeply disappointed. This is my first bike and I was having an absolute blast riding it around the backroads.
I had a very similar experience with my 1019, died at the red light, luckily I was only about 2 blocks from my house, had about 500 miles on it at the time. Since I'm a big guy and it's a small bike I just pushed it home. They had to replace the stator, but they didn't replace the battery, soon after my battery went bad, so I had to convince them to get me a new battery, I think when the battery went totally flat it ruined the original battery. I did put a volt meter on the bike to keep an eye on the voltage, but it's been fine ever since, I have about 7K on the bike and love riding it. I have several other bikes, but it's my go to bike when I just want to have a little fun or hit some logging roads, I also mount it on the back of my van when I go camping.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had this happen to my 2017 S1000RR. I was able to get a jump start and rode directly home. I decided the five year hold battery had likely reached it's end of life and replaced it. First time out with the new battery and it happened again. Again I was able to get a jump start and road directly home. That time, it had been some time since the battery install, so I wasn't sure if the new battery was an issue or the bike. Knowing that a new charging system on an out-of-warranty bike would be expensive, I decided a third test was in order. I made sure to fully charge the new battery and I carried an Antigravity XP-1 Micro-Start Battery as backup. Sure enough, the bike died after draining the new battery. This confirmed it was the charging system. I connected the XP-1 battery and rode home. I then trailered the bike to the dealer. Dealer's writeup follows...

"Bike is only charging at 12.9 volts and oil is wicking down stator wires. Check stator. Stator is showing short to ground. Check voltage regulator. Voltage regulator is also testing bad. Order new parts. Remove stator cover. Stator has gotten very hot; it is discolored and shows signs of melting. Stator cover is also showing signs of high heat. Bike has (R&G) protective cover over (engine’s) stator cover. Protective cover along with charging system being overused appears to have overheated the stator and the failure. Replace stator and voltage regulator. Bike is now charging in spec at 14.0 volts."

Because the bike was out-of-warranty, it cost me $2,103.82 to have them replace the stator and voltage regulator (RR parts are $$$$). The overuse that they speculate about is because I have a Warm-and-Save Heat-Troller installed and I use heated gear when it's cool or cold out. That's rare in the RR community. I reject their idea that that it contributed to the issue because this is my second RR with a Heat-Troller and I have over 60,000 miles on RRs with Heat-Trollers with no previous issues. I think the real fault/clue is the "oil wicking down the stator wires"; that should never be the case. That said, since my S1000XR has supplanted my RR for cool/cold weather riding, I'll probably remove the RR's Heat-Troller and R&G cover and relegate that bike to warm weather riding only to be on the safe side.

Incidentally, I have installed a Heat-Troller on my 310GS. Before I did that, I researched other's experience installing additional electrical demands on the 310GS and found ample experience/evidence that it should be fine and it has been so far.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The bike has been in the shop for a week and I just called to ask for an update. The mechanic told me that they ran all the tests and that the battery and charging system appear to be fine, and they suspect it might be a fuel pressure issue. They're waiting to hear back from BMW right now. Will keep you guys posted. (No idea whether that's preferable to a battery issue or not.)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Jerry G that’s a bummer tale. Bad stator on a different BMW not boding well. Then to blame it on gear within rated capacity pretty cheesy. It had a short In one winding Thus partial charge. I’d speculate winding bad or got toasted by bad regulator. Maybe maybe maybe if heated gear were on full when starting unit, then on fire up you could get a surge………so make sure the gear is “off” before starting. Might be smart to install a voltmeter when using heated gear.
Might save a couple grand or at least be more informed Of impending disaster.
I had one on my 1150GSA that was also a USB port. The charging system on that bike was not robust enough for lithium batteries or heated gear…..found out with voltmeter.

·
Registered
282 Posts
SKX brother your having a ball. Dealers everywhere are hopping busy, bike market gone wild.
You’d think you’d be a priority having already bought yours. It not right to treat you like this.
Did you perchance jointhe MOA? If so they have a guy…..that will talk to them, with authority Also BMW mothership does not condone such mistreatment. Should have been rectified ASAP even if it meant give you different bike. At least a loaner for crying out loud.
so sorry

Reactions: LMarr [DK]

·
Registered
282 Posts
There’s actually factory plugs behind the head light to hook up a permanent meter. Key operated and fused. Nice spots on dash to mount. Combo USB port/voltmeters abound. No need to cheap out or cob something up really. These modern electronic units really require monitoring voltage to prevent being stranded. Less than $40 parts to do it properly.

·
Registered
142 Posts
There’s actually factory plugs behind the head light to hook up a permanent meter.
You've forgotten my story was about my S1000RR, but I agree with your point. In this case I have a 3.1 amp USB port already positioned on top of the brake fluid reservoir. It has an SAE plug two inches away. I also already have a SAE to USB port with a built in voltmeter. I will simply swap the two and test to see if it can keep my phone charged, which some USB ports can't do, especially 2.1 amp USB ports. That may be why I wasn't using it; I don't remember, it's been so long.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Hood

This is what Fred did and wrote up. Smart for everyone to copy. Volts go low, go straight home or dealer without shutting down. You would want a separate set up for charging as this is keyed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just to provide an update: The bike has been at the dealership for over two weeks now. I just called again today and was told that the problem is likely connected to fuel pressure. They've exchanged some parts but it's still occurring. They're trying to have a live video conference with someone from BMW but have had no success in scheduling one so far. (I was told the same thing last week already.) The mechanic couldn't give me any indication what the exact problem is or when they might be able to fix it.

Any advice on what I should do? As you can imagine, my patience is running kind of thin at this point, and I have no interest in waiting however many weeks it takes them to get this fixed. It's pretty bad if a brand new vehicle doesn't work, but when the repairs then take weeks it feels a bit like adding insult to injury. What should I do at this point? Should I insist that the dealer who sold me the bike replace it? Should I just wait and then make BMW give me extended warranty or something like this to make up for this mess?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts