BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Team,

I am having my BMW310GS since April of last year. Few days back early in the morning, it did not start up. The lights were working. Horn was buzzing a bit differently but it was on. But whenever I click on the ignite button it did nothing. Later on in the day. The bike showed some improvement and started. But it felt like it was taking a load on the battery. When every I pressed the ignite button the lights went off completely and then come back and then the bike started.

Today the same thing happened. I got the battery checked. The voltage was 12.49. And as the bike started it dropped to 11. Then I jump started it. Took it to a long sprint. It was all fine. I came back home. Parked my bike and then as a very caring owner. I went and checked again only to find that the bike wasn't starting 1 out of 10 times.
What could be the issue? and what should be my first step to resolve it?

· Registered
254 Posts
Get a permanent charger and attach a permanent cable to the battery leads. Connect the charger to mains and let it manage the battery for a while. A suggestion: install a BT monitoring device (see Amazon) to the battery leads and use an App on your cellphone to check the voltage over a period of time. This will tell you if the battery needs to be replaced or not.

· Registered
1,082 Posts
I’d bet money your battery dying, as mentioned by Kent, factories don’t install top dollar bat rays in. Testing is now a “load test” to ensure the bat ray is issue and not some massive draw (unlikely). You may be eligible for a new bat ray from dealer under warrant. You may wish instead to get a higher quality battery. Actually the higher charging voltage used by the factory system is ideal for a lithium battery. These will save weight and should last a good long time. I’ve had several of the “Shorai“ brand work very well. Modern bikes really depend on those electrons. It’s a sharp idea to have a maintenance system and monitor app on phone to ensure you’ve your electrons all tip top red eyed to perform.

Reactions: JerryG
1 - 5 of 5 Posts