BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, my R won't start. It's been super child in new Jersey with snow so I haven't been able to ride for over two weeks! Battery has low power, infact the battery icon on the dash appeared. I tried to jump it, but I could only get a cough out of the engine. What do I need to do?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To add a little clarity. When I hit the starter the electric sound is made and nothing else happens.

·
Registered
300 Posts
1st. You'll need to fully charge the battery.
Many claim the standard battery to be only just capable of doing is job.
There are folk who've installed a higher rated battery or even Lithium.
If your temperatures are <10'C you might want to consider changing the [thick] 15w50 oil to 5w40,
that should eneble the engine to spin a bit easier.

·
Registered
G310GS, S1000RR. HP2.
88 Posts
Official fix:
Open your throttle for 15° and keep it there.
Then hit the starter button.
Hold your throttle until the engine has been heated up to approx. 10°C.

When the exhaust 'coughs', wait ten minutes for a second try.
Your spark plug might be wet and the engine will never run.
For best results.. charge the battery while waiting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone, I have unplugged the battery and I am charging it. I'll check the spark plug to.... Hopefully it works! I'll update you in a day

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey everyone, just an update. I charged the battery and boom! Started first time!

Thank you to everyone who replied with the advice. Greatly appreciated it!

·
Registered
G310GS, S1000RR. HP2.
88 Posts
Hey everyone, just an update. I charged the battery and boom! Started first time!

Thank you to everyone who replied with the advice. Greatly appreciated it!
The start issue is a known problem for this engine.
It can return at cold weather. When you least expect. :D

My bike started this morning without problems at 2.5°C.
But I also charged the batterij for ten minutes and started with 15° throttle.
I could release after a few seconds, so the bike was in good condition.
This is not always the case..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found that changing to all synthetic motor oil resolved my gs310 cold weather starting problems. While switching to a lower viscosity oil like 5-30w might help too it is not reasonable to require a winter and summer oil change. The BMW Advantec oil is a semi synthetic. The waxes or additives in Mineral and semi synthetic oils lead to thickening the oil at low temperatures. This leads to difficulty tuning the cold engine over thus the emphasis on the battery. Full synthetics lack these additives and flow more easily at low temperature. I changed to a full synthetic oil at the standard recommended 15-50w and have not experienced the same difficulties. As my colleague would “makes sense and might even be true”. Worth a try if you ride in cold climates.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Battery Tender hooked up all the time when bike sits for more than a week.I have been using one for the last 20 years

·
Registered
2020, 310 GS
33 Posts
Hey everyone, my R won't start. It's been super child in new Jersey with snow so I haven't been able to ride for over two weeks! Battery has low power, infact the battery icon on the dash appeared. I tried to jump it, but I could only get a cough out of the engine. What do I need to do?
Super cold and these modern batteries do no do well together. Also your oil is probably quite thick from the cold. Solution is to figure out to keep the bike a bit warmer and you must charge the battery fully, jumping a super flat battery will not help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey everyone, my R won't start.
My, less than year old 310GS spend total of 5mos in shop as they tried to fix no start issue 2x. Now is my bike being purchased back by BMW. I do not think it is a norm, just some weird crossroad of coincidences. Shop did replaced just about everything, but whole engine and still no luck...

Otherwise it runs great if you bump start it. I managed to put almost 5000miles, but I'm not sure I'll do it again :/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts