BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m 69 years old 5 ft 9 in and about 200 lbs. I’ve had many bikes over the years but haven’t ridden for the past 4 years. Last bike was an R1150R which I had put about 60000 miles on. I want an easy bike to manage and have narrowed it down on paper to either of these two. Trail riding will be quite easy. At least 70 percent will be back roads. Freeway less so. Which is smoother at 60 mph? Which is easier to handle on the trail? Any thoughts? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Sounds like ideally you need to arrange a test ride on each.
I've riden hondas in the past and find they are a good brand to go for.
This is my 1st bmw ... and will, I'm afraid be my last.
I fooloishly thought bmw would be better than honda.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like ideally you need to arrange a test ride on each.
I've riden hondas in the past and find they are a good brand to go for.
This is my 1st bmw ... and will, I'm afraid be my last.
I fooloishly thought bmw would be better than honda.
Thanks for the frank input. I had no trouble with my previous R1150 but have seen issues with the 650 owners in our area. In fairness the 650s were new bikes and in their first year of sales at that time.
Test rides are great but they can’t give feedback from a year of ownership and various riding experiences.
I’d love to hear from somebody that has owned both a 310 GS and a Honda 500 x for some time.
I’m leaning towards the Honda because the proximity to the dealer is a two hour time difference. As well, I’m thinking that the 500x, although maybe not quite the answer for myself because it is is a little heavier and less good looking, is still a bullet proof ride.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi,
I can relate to your dilemma: I'm 60, 5' 9'', 150 lbs., 32 inside leg ( you'll see why this is important later), and hadn't ridden for 28 years !
I wanted a small capacity 'trail bike' ( as we called them ). I had always been a crutch-rocket fiend with a twitchy right hand, and wanted something that might at least give me a chance of keeping my license for more than a week....
I researched all the options by price, performance ( as far as I could find it- Seems that no-one is so bothered about this anymore. I remember track tests where 0-60, and top speed passes in 2 directions were simply the norm on every published road test. ), power to weight, and all the available reviews and comparisons, Then I went to a show to at least sit on all the contenders, since Manhattan dealers all claim that road tests are illegal- Pure BS, of course.
I was on a short list of BMW G310GS, Honda CB500X, Suzuki DRZ400S ( hard to beat the heritage of this bike ).
In the end, I was swayed by an unbelievable deal on a 2019 hold-over G310GS.

Challenges on the BMW:
Height
Now that inside leg measure comes in: You're going to have really swing that leg up high to get over the back seat and rack. If you're having trouble, I suggest to cheat by lining the bike up alongside the curb and gain a good 4''!
Delicate clutch
Clearly acknowledged by all: This bike is easy to stall, as the clutch just bites very quickly. Don't worry; you'll get used to it.
High centre of gravity:
Compared to what I had been used to ( I had one of the very first Kawasaki GPZ600Rs- Very small and low), the COG is very high. I found that I had to be 'thinking about' where the weight was. It was like sitting on top of a heavy fence, instead of being 'inside' and part of the GPZ. Naturally, this applies to any 'Adventure' bike.
Headlight
It's like a candle in a thunderstorm- crap. Get an LED and actually see a beam of light !

Now the good news:
Performance
It is surprisingly perky. You can really work it, as long and you're prepared to play a little tune on the gearbox.
It's alleged that I got 85 MPH, two up, with luggage, without really trying. It was still not flat out.
Handling
Is fine, but the original tyres do not inspire confidence on black top. They love tracking any ripples/grooves in the road surface. But, they are an onroad/offroad compromise. I'm hoping the set of road tyres I've got to put on will make a significant difference.
Frugal
I do 120 miles a week, which cost me all of $6 in gas.
Summary
Overall, I'm very happy, especially given how much I paid for the bike. It has outperformed my expectations significantly.
I hope this helps.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm 67, 165 pounds, 5'10" 34 inseam, can pretty much ride any bike seat height no problem.Been riding for 53 years (54 bikes) I had a 2016 CB500F, great motor smooth pulls good up to 85, tops out at 100. I put 21,000 miles on it. Nothing bad to say about it at all. Looking back I wish I had gotten the CB500X, seat would have been better. I never took my honda on "trails", but also the trails where I live are all sugar sand. They aren't even easy with the 310GS.
I now have a 2019 G310GS, and yes (as Imperiton1 mentioned) you WILL have a hard time swinging your leg over the seat. The power is not on par with the Honda. And if you do more pavement than dirt, I would choose the CB500X. Fuel mileage is about the same with both bikes, mid 70's.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm 61, 210 lbs. 15 bikes. Right now I have a 2018 Triumph Street and a 2019 G310GS. I love this BMW, I have had three beemers, so much fun to ride.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To those responding so far, thank you so much for the feedback. I’m aware of some issues with the new GS310 and although I understand that this is common for any new bike - the potential for delays with the BMW is concerning. For example, I know of one fellow here in Nova Scotia, Canada that bought a new 650 GS only to have it sit at the dealers (which is almost 3 hours away) for a period of 7 weeks. No loner provided!
This can happen to anyone and doesn’t mean the bike itself isn’t a good machine.
I am 70 next year and really don’t want to end up doing endless road miles so am also very concerned that the Honda 500x is not necessary for me. Believe it or not, I’m now closely considering the Honda 250 Rally or Adventure as it is called here in Canada. I can go reasonable highway speeds for a short time, it is forgiving on the trails and is hopefully a great runabout in town. I also own an MX5 and would prefer to take the wife along on the longer trips. She is no longer interested in being a passenger on the bike and I can’t say I blame her for that. I’ve done a lot of 5000 mile trips and longer over the years and I don’t want to tempt myself into doing that in any way. Let’s be honest folks- the Honda 500X would be sweet on a long lazy 5000 mile jaunt. It just isn’t a two-up bike. I do not want to manage a larger two-up capable machine at this point in my life.
so now I’m looking at the 310 GS vs the Honda 250:Rally. Test rides will not be an option for the GS unless I can convince a local owner to lend it out to me. These bikes are close in price and are both very capable. I do believe that the 310 is the perfect all rounder for the likes of me. The extra capability on the highway is nice to have and the extra 60 cc’s may make a big difference. Also, lighting is now LED and some other refinements are coming along I’m sure.
Thanks again for the feedback and for putting up with my lengthy uncertainties.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would take a hard look at the Kawasaki Versys 300, people seem to like them. About the same price as the Honda Rally but has the big bonus of having ABS which I would not ride without now. It is the same weight as the G310GS.🇨🇦

·
Registered
192 Posts
Love my R but I honestly think all main manufacturer's bike are OK these days. So like Hasselman says, go with the one that pleases you and you should be OK. If not .....just try another.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts