BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I did my last oil change a year ago, the mileage at that time was 3800KM, currently the ODO is at 9800KM and the service indicator has come up so essentially 6000KM in 1 year (I live in Canada) so the bike is not used much. Do we need to do service every 6000KM (though BMW mentions 1 year or 10,000 KM which ever is earlier). Is 10000 km a lot..how should be manage this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Viv,
How you ride (race track/casual commute) and environmental conditions (hot/cold weather extremes) play a role in this service. You will find riders who change their oil/filer every 1,000 miles (or less) or up to 6,000 miles. A good rule of thumb is the once-a-year service if the bike sits for prolonged periods. I've been riding for over 30 years. Here's what I follow:
(1) Race track days = oil/filter change every 1,000 miles / 4-5 race weekends (synthetic).
(2) Aggressive street/hill rides = oil/filter change every 3,000 - 3,500 miles (synthetic).
(3) Commuter = whatever the manual recommends (conventional oil).

I never questioned or criticized anyone's oil/filter change regiment. This topic gets quite contentious. Just perform an internet search on "how often to change oil." When I first started riding, I barely had enough money to keep gas in the bike. So whenever I heard the statement, "oil is cheap so change it often", they weren't in my shoes.

I'm sure you'll be fine as long as you don't exceed the manufacture's guidance. Enjoy your ride.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts